DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New Guy with two (HOPEFULLY) simple problems...

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CajunDodge 
#1 · (Edited)
1. When I put it in gear, it starts moving slowly for just a few seconds. It makes a sound that's not quite a whining sound (like a belt or pulley) but more like it's 'complaining' (I can't think of how else to describe it). It only lasts for a few seconds, but I know that it can't be a good sign.

2. I can hear 'water' running from what sounds like the passenger side firewall. I removed the cowling at the bottom of the winshield and checked the drain holes but they were clear.

Ideas...?

Please keep in mind that I am a rookie shade-tree mechanic...

#2 ·
Sounds like air in the heater core. Does your heater work properly?
This is rather common after cooling system has been drained and re-filled (air lock), and also is common near the failure time of the heater core. Do you smell antifreeze in the cab? or see any drops on the passenger side floor?

#4 ·
Im guessing what he said. But how do you go about fixing that i haven't the slightest idea.

#3 ·
As for the whining does it only do it while in gear? say it whines in Drive and Reverse but immediately stops when placed in Park? if so i'd say probably torque converter is likely. It may drive ok but make the noise, if so quit driving it and replace the torque converter so you can save the tranny (did mine recently, TC=$600, GOOD rebuilt Tranny $2000). as for the water noise, pull up the carpet on your passenger side and check for a small amount of water or rust showing that water has been there. if so get either a pipe cleaner or compressed air and clean out the vent tube sticking out of the fire wall below your accumulator, it will clog and drain a small amount of water in the cab. Mine made noise like that but usually only when the AC was on

#7 ·
the gurgling sound could very well be air in the heater system, if air is in there, it could be in the radiator system too

maybe it needs to be burped

#10 ·
Best way I found to get the air out of the cooling system, and, mind you, I'm no mechanic, just a little DIY on my own vehicles, pop the radiator cap off and start your truck. As it warms up, you'll see the coolant bubble and the level probably drop a bit. Add coolant as needed and you can also work the upper radiator hose, that helps to get air out as well. Let it run until it's no longer bubbling and the coolant level stays where it should. I would also recommend having someone keep an eye on your temp while you're doing this, but like I said, this worked for me, and as with anything, it's best to consult with someone qualified before performing any procedure, but good luck and let us know how you make out.

- Cajun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.