DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Electric Fold Mirrors or Tow Mirrors?

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  KnuckleHead 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with either of these and have a preference? I am leaning towards the stock power fold mirrors.:smileup::smiledown:

#3 ·
I have experience with both, If your not towing big trailers, or need the Convex, the Power folds are really nice

#5 ·
I was the tow mirrors all the time. I use them to knock bikers off their bikes.. LOL

Honestly, they come standard on my order because it's a 3500. Even if I never towed, I'd still want them. I like the real estate ... much easier to see stuff, especially in the blind spots, and I think the look nicer... As long as they're not pushed up, in the tow position.

#6 ·
I got the tow mirrors on my 1500. I went back and forth with the decision. They are huge, that's for sure! In the end, they were included with the tow package on the 14's so I went with them. I figured worst case I could probably figure out how to swap them out with the standards.

#7 ·
I had the same thought process on swapping them out with the standard power fold mirrors when I was trying to find an already built 2013 Laramie model. I was told by the dealership it's not possible. They didn't give an explanation why, just said you can't do it. It's probably not too late to remove the optional tow group and I believe you can add the trailer brake controller afterward. There may be a link on the 2013 Ram site where someone talked about doing that? Just a thought.

#8 ·
I had the same thought process on swapping them out with the standard power fold mirrors when I was trying to find an already built 2013 Laramie model. I was told by the dealership it's not possible. They didn't give an explanation why, just said you can't do it. It's probably not too late to remove the optional tow group and I believe you can add the trailer brake controller afterward. There may be a link on the 2013 Ram site where someone talked about doing that? Just a thought.

Yeah, this thread got me thinking about them again and I called my dealer a couple hours ago. He is looking into the options for getting the hitch without the tow mirrors. I will post up what I find out.

#10 ·
I probably won't ever tow with my truck, so I didn't need the tow mirrors. I love the power folding option on the regular mirrors. I utilize this feature whenever I'm parking somewhere where I can't find an open area away from all the other vehicles.

#12 ·
I have the tow mirrors on my 2005 1500 (had dealer install them after purchase). I pull an enclosed trailer that's 102" wide. They are a must for me. I can pull any other 7" wide trailers w/out flipping them up to the wide stance.
Unless you are towing a wide trailer, you do not need them.

#13 ·
I believe the class IV hitch on the Laramie is standard for 2014. Hopefully we can order the trailer brake controller separately from the tow group option? I'm sure this isn't anything knew to ordering new vehicles, but I have found for the 2014 Ram, you can't order some individual options on the Laramie that are available on other packages like the 3.55 axle. I'm still baffled by that one! The 3.55 axle should be available across the board and not just on the SLT/Bighorn package.

#15 ·
Unfortunately the 3.55 axle is not even an option on the 2014 Laramie. The 14 Laramie comes standard with the 3.21 axle and a measly 6600 pound tow rating. The only other option is the 3.92 axle, which I ended up ordering. The 3.55 axle was available on the 2013 Laramie 8 speed as a $50.00 option. I think the 3.55 axle is a great happy medium for towing ability (8,600 pound rating) and fuel economy but the folks at Chrysler apparently don't agree with me.

#16 ·
Unfortunately the 3.55 axle is not even an option on the 2014 Laramie. The 14 Laramie comes standard with the 3.21 axle and a measly 6600 pound tow rating. The only other option is the 3.92 axle, which I ended up ordering. The 3.55 axle was available on the 2013 Laramie 8 speed as a $50.00 option. I think the 3.55 axle is a great happy medium for towing ability (8,600 pound rating) and fuel economy but the folks at Chrysler apparently don't agree with me.
I just learned this from the dealer today. Been searching for a '13 with 3.55s and other goodies... they were trying to compare to ordering a '14 and found out about the 3.55 deal.
I've had 3.92s on 2 previous trucks. I tow a trailer and live in the Appalachian mts. I thought the 3.55 would be a happy medium as well. But I drove a 8 speed crew cab 4x4 from the dealer to my house tonight. 32 miles round trip... 12 was interstate @ 70-75, lots of two lane up/down. MPGs read 18.3 when I parked it. My '05 read 14.4 doing same trip.

I would imagine that highway driving on level ground at 75 would get over 20 mpg even with the 3.92s

Wondering just how different 3.55s would be. Definitely cannot do the 3.21 - what a joke. That has to be for MPG figures only.

#17 ·
I need some clarification, do the power folding mirrors come standard on any Ram 1500 model? Actually now that I think about it, I think they are part of a package. I am looking at the Big Horn, I don't think its standard on that one. If not, is that something you can add as an option, or does it have come from the factory that way? Any idea on how much it cost to add these mirror if the truck does not come equipped with them.

#18 · (Edited)
I need some clarification, do the power folding mirrors come standard on any Ram 1500 model? Actually now that I think about it, I think they are part of a package. I am looking at the Big Horn, I don't think its standard on that one. If not, is that something you can add as an option, or does it have come from the factory that way? Any idea on how much it cost to add these mirror if the truck does not come equipped with them.
Im using the 2013 book...dont believe 2014 books are available yet...you need a cooperative dealer who knows what he's looking at...and obviously not all of them are either one...the power folding mirrors, complete with power heat, puddle lamps and turn signal indicators are available as standard from the Outdoorsman on up...from the BigHorn on down, theyre part of the Luxury equipment group...which has a whole bunch of stuff in it...i imagine they could be added later, but the cost might be more than getting them in the Luxury Package. You can get the SLT version with the Bighorn trim package, add buckets and a bunch of other things. Then add the Luxury group., which invoiced for $476.. It worked out to more stuff for less money.

Let me amend that...it appears that the Luxury equipment group is available ONLY on the SLT and Big Horn versions....unless theyve changed that for 2014..and i dont think so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.