DODGE RAM FORUM banner

hey guys give a new guy a hand?

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Ram Tough 
#1 ·
hey guys id like to introduce myself. im garrett i drive a 1999 v6 mustang.... now before i get flamed, my girlfriend drives a 2000 magnum single cab short bed, maroon in color. and shes havin some problems and i was hopin you guys could help me so heres a few of her problems that i cant figuire out.

- her truck jumps. when shes accelerating, it seems as if her transmission disengages and then reengages very violently.

- her truck keeps dieing on her and its not her battery i thought it was her starter or alternator? but she says its her transmission

also could her IAC or anything of that magnitude have anything to do with it? maybe a bad fuel pump?

well anyway i hope yall can give a hand thanks guys:wavey:

#6 ·
Well I really don't know about the transmission issue then. I'm no expert on them.

As far as the dying, I'd start by looking for poor connections, poor grounds, and cleaning the sensors at the intake (MAP, TPS, IAC), and a general cleaning of the throttle body.

#9 ·
If it's the torque converter then you'd just need to replace the torque converter. I really don't know how you'd diagnose that though to see if that's the issue, just would make sense to me if it was that. Probably need to find someone else to chime in that knows more about those year trucks.

#10 ·
A little more information on the dying part might help. When does it die? At idle? Accelerating? Does it restart immediately?

As for the jumping part, I assume you checked things like the ujoints? Have you done a fluid\filter change? Hook up with ramvan2500 for possible transmission issues. You might also want to change the title of the thread to what your problem is, might get more people to take a look.

#11 ·
she was crusin at 55 and it died. thats all i got from the story. but anyway ive had some developements
she told me her tranny fluid was good. i checked it and it was a beautiful pungent pond brown...so i changed it out..(she told me it was ok on level and color) anyway. i changed it out and added new tranny fluid and bam, no more bucking but now its going all the way to redline before it shifts... any help??

#12 ·
How many miles on the transmission? I've heard that if you don't regularly service the transmissions and then change the fluid way late it can cause shifting issues. I'm not really sure why. It happened on my ford as well, everything worked fine then at 200,000 miles I decided to change the transmission fluid and it would then shift from 1-3, skipping 2.

Hopefully someone else has better input...

#14 ·
How many miles on the transmission? I've heard that if you don't regularly service the transmissions and then change the fluid way late it can cause shifting issues. I'm not really sure why. It happened on my ford as well, everything worked fine then at 200,000 miles I decided to change the transmission fluid and it would then shift from 1-3, skipping 2.

Hopefully someone else has better input...
why i only drive manual in my mustang i will never own an auto unless im to old to shift! then ill get paddle shifters :LOL:

#17 ·
Shifts Delayed or Erratic (Shifts Harsh at Times)

This is from my manual I found from Daimler Chrysler 1999 thru 2001 this troubleshooting is from the 46RE transmission hope this helps.. good luck...

SHIFTS DELAYED OR
ERRATIC (SHIFTS ALSO
HARSH AT TIMES)

1. Fluid Level Low/High. 1. Correct fluid level and check for leaks if
low.

2. Fluid Filter Clogged. 2. Replace filter. If filter and fluid contained
clutch material or metal particles, an
overhaul may be necessary. Perform lube
flow test.

3. Throttle Linkage Mis-adjusted. 3. Adjust linkage as described in service
section.

4. Throttle Linkage Binding. 4. Check cable for binding. Check for return
to closed throttle at transmission.

5. Gearshift Linkage/Cable
Mis-adjusted.
5. Adjust linkage/cable as described in
service section.

6. Clutch or Servo Failure. 6. Remove valve body and air test clutch,
and band servo operation. Disassemble
and repair transmission as needed.

7. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault. 7. Test using DRBT scan tool and repair as
required.

8. Front Band Mis-adjusted. 8. Adjust band.

9. Pump Suction Passage Leak. 9. Check for excessive foam on dipstick
after normal driving. Check for loose pump
bolts, defective gasket. Replace pump
assembly if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.