DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Fixing dash crack. Plus I repainted the Dash (PIC HEAVY)

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
My dash had some nasty cracks. I pretty much admitted to myself that ill probably need to buy a new one. So I thought that I would at least have some fun trying to fix it and maybe repaint it a cool color.

Cracks before: Theres a few decent ones further down that are not pictured

So I went to Harbor fright and Advanced Auto Parts and bought the following:

Green High Temp paint. I know I don't need high temp paint, but its what I bought for my calipers, (yes I know I don't need high temp paint for my calipers, but it's what Advanced Auto Parts had!)

Plastic Welding kit: basically like a soldering Iron but with a big triangle head, and some plastic rod like things to melt.

Epoxy (not used) for gluing on the metal rod.

Metal rod (not used): it's not really a metal rod, its flat, and long, I was going to use it for reinforcement but it was a tad to thick, so I dropped the idea.

Here are some pictures of the plastic welding: I don't think they're in order so be prepared.

For the most part that went pretty well.
BUT OH NO
It seems that I melted it a tad too much and caused BUBBLES on the top!! :doh:

So I decided to melt the top in hopes I can smooth it out with sandpaper later, (this plastic is unbelievably hard to make smooth)

I added a bit more plastic for reinforcement and to help sort out the edges
(turns out that this stuff does NOT sand down real well , you'll see further down)

(these pics are not sanded yet)

Next I sanded it down lightly with not low enough grit sandpaper; terribly smooth stuff. but oh well. It didn't smooth the fixes much, so I didn't take pictures of it.

Then I put down some primer.

Then I started the nerve wracking part! ( I ended up painting my glove compartment as well.
Heres the first coat on the glove compartment (after primer)

THEN THE FINISHED PRODUCT

Since I'm going for a lime green type of theme, I thought it would be appropriate, These pictures do not do this green justice, man, this is some bright lime green...

now, I wish I wasn't so impatient and got some different sandpaper and working on sanding down the cracks a little bit longer because this is what happens when you're lazy..

There's about three of these little blotches. But oh well! overall I think it came out pretty great, so I'm happy. I didn't have to buy a new boring one and I now have a more so green interior!

See less See more
Reactions: RogerRamJet
#2 ·
Nice project you got going on there, Robbie! Keep up the good work! I like DIY projects. Make sure to post up some pics of the finished product. Got some reps coming your way for this...

#3 ·
Im going to try paint the overhead console black with the parts that open Green today, well see how that goes.

Do you know how to get the Airbag piece off? right above the golve compartment? I cant figure it out.. hah, I want that Green as well

#7 ·
Aparently i need to take off my whole dash for that. And to do that, i need to disarm the airbag, which is not something i want to get into.. haha

#9 ·
Id rather not becaus knowing me i would get over spray ALLLLL over the inside.. even if the whole inside was taped off... haha.

And disarming isnt tooooo bad. But its more complicated then the stuff i know, and if i mess up? Well im left with a messed up dash and an inflated airbag.. hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.