DODGE RAM FORUM banner

?HELP!? Need to install 2" Mcgaughy's drop springs

12K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  86SN2001 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So i kinda bit the bullet and ordered my 2" Mcgaughy's drop springs for the rear of my 2013 Ram Black edition.

I didnt have the money to drop all the way around so i figured a noce leveled stance would be great..

Now how do I do the install. I am really hands on and do all of my own work i just have never messed with the springs before.

Some one help me out.. Pint me toward a how to or give me a short write up.

Here are the springs i ordered.

http://www.mcgaughys-suspension.com...ear-2-drop-coil-springs-mcgaughys-part-44055/

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After 40 views and no help i decided to google it and be a forums tramp and found an answer on another forum...

It gave me all the answers and then some.. It is how to install a groundforce kit but the same steps apply.. Maybe this will help some others on a self install

.com/f75/how_install_coil_spring_lowering_kit_ground_force-11419/

My local shop told me they would install the kit for $45 bucks compared to the $70 in a big shop in a nearby city.

$45 bucks was well worth me not having to do the work myself without a lift..

Anyways i will give before and after pics with before and after measurements soon.

My appointment is tomorrow morning.

#4 ·
Installing spring is super simple.... It literally takes about 30 mins start to finish. Obviously it doesn't really matter to you anymore since you've booked it in for an appointment....

For next time, (or anyone else who is wondering about it) here are some basic steps to get it done.

1) Jack up the rear of the truck under the rear diff, support the FRAME with jack stands, and slightly lower the rear diff to relieve pressure. Pull the rear wheels/tires off
2) Unbolt the shocks and sway bar end links
3) With the floor jack lower the rear diff until there is enough room to pull the springs out. Be careful to watch the brake lines to make sure you aren't straining them.
4) Remove the springs and install the new ones.
5) Follow steps 1 through 3 backwards for reassembly.

#6 ·
Okay so here are the before measurements and pics.

My truck has a .5" difference in my driver and passenger rear.

The driver rear measured : 49.5" from the ground to the fender well and 7.5" from the top of the tire to bottom of the fender well

The passenger rear measured 49" from the ground and 7" from the top of the tire to bottom of the fender well.

I never was able to see it and never noticed a difference until i measured. (not sure what can be done about that.

Now here are the BEFORE pics.

And here is my ride waiting patiently for it appointment... Notice my wifes RAM in the reflection :)

The after pics and measurements are soon to follow... Stay tuned

#8 ·
Results are:

A true 2" drop on both sides.

The before measurements WAS:
DRIVER - 49.5" from the ground to the fender well
PASSENGER - 49" from the ground to the fender well

THE NEW MEASUREMENTS ARE EXACTLY 2" LOWER:
DRIVER - 47.5" from the ground to the fender well
PASSENGER - 47" from the ground to the fender well

It gave it a complete different feel inside of the truck.. The rake of the front of the truck made me feel like i was leaning forward and now it has a nice sitting back in my seat feeling... one of those things you dont think of until after the install..

I was afraid that it wouldnt make a difference visually and i WAS WRONG! I like it and for the price being 197. + 40$ for install it was much better on my wallet than a full drop on all four...

i would for sure suggest this install to anyone who wants to change the suspension and not break the bank!!

SOOOOOOOo - I Havent had a single clear nice weather weekend to clean up the truck and take good pics... but here are a few in the bad weather with the truck dirty on un level ground

for before and after contrast just scroll up...

I WILL FOR SURE TAKE SOME NICE CLEAR WEATHER PICS WITH A SHINY COAT SOON...

#12 ·
TO be honest.. i like the ride more now...

It feels more comfortable in the cab.. I didnt notice the rake feeling in the cab until the springs were put in and the difference was quite noticable just sitting in the driver seat. It actaully feels level in the cab.

The ride quality as far as i can tell has not changed at all. Ive only driven on them maybe 5-6 hundred miles and it feels the same me.

#13 ·
Agreed! i was really worried that the $200 spent was going to be a waste and it would leave me wanting more drop.. but not at all! It is perfect me me!

It still has plenty of clearance for the back roads and a great level look that sets me apart from the other Black edition RAMs around here.

#18 ·
I installed the mcgaughys on rcsb back in October and they have only dropped an half of inch. Last week I put a tarp in the bed and filled it up with water for a quite a while to settle the springs since I never carry a heavy load. The bed went right back up to where it was before. Any advice guys? It looked really good when the water weighed it down and leveled it

#19 ·
Jchop,

That dont sound right at all... I think something was done wrong on the install... IDK what could have gone wrong but i had a FULL 2" drop on both sides. I would try and contact the vendor or seller and maybe they know what could have an explanation but it was an immediate level on my truck and it has changed at all in about 600 miles... I have measured a few times...

#20 ·
mine dropped 2" on the money ....I would look at the install and be sure the upper rubber is seated correctly. and also on the springs is a part number. be sure its correct... It should drop 2 " on the money

I also bought the firestone air bags for when I want to tow I can just airem up to level.

#22 ·
I installed the Mcgaughy's drop springs recently in my own truck. I left the sway bar bolted up and let the rear end hang on that. The springs pulled out easily at that point.
I noticed that the ride firmed up a bit with these springs. One of the things I love about my Ram is the luxury car ride. Not saying the ride is bad, probably just like all the leaf spring trucks out there now. For that reason I will be putting my stock springs back in.
I do like the levelled look though, so I am going to raise the front with Bilsteins instead.

#25 ·
Ok, not to hijack a thread, but I really don't think my question is worthy of starting a new one.

Anyway, I supposedly have a McGaughy's 2" rear drop kit sitting in my house ready to be installed.

However, the box says "09 Dodge 4" Rear". Also, if you look very closely at the pic in the original post (the pic that is on the page for the 2" drop where I bought my kit) they also say "09 Dodge 4" Rear).

So, for those that have installed this kit, did I get the right one or do I need to send it back?

#27 ·
The springs say the same....."09 Dodge 4 rear". And looking at the photo on the website, it looks like they just cropped the springs in the 2/4 kit and used the exact same photo for the 2" kit.

I'm more than confused lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.