DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4th gen guys with broken transmissions

15K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  Crash 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had a broken tranny on the 4th gen yet? If so did you have a tune and what did the dealership say? Did they figure out you had a tune?

#6 ·
hey get off my maggie. jk
and i don't think the maggie was the reason it had less than 200 miles on with the s/cr after the got done.
but had 6k with superchip. 5k with k/n cai, 4k exhaust, 30000 into the shop for s/c 31000 after tuning and now at 32000 for my ats tranny.

#3 ·
Monitoring this thread.... I'd like toknow this as well. I assume a major broken powertrain component may prompt a dealer to check for a tune, but I am curious too...

#4 ·
I think RamTex toasted one recently,

mods:
Performance Mods:180stat,Trinity/HEMIFEVER Custom Tunes,Volant Intake,DODM24,ARH's No Cats,Raceland E-Cutout,BBK 90mm,MSD Coils,NGK Iridiums,Removed Stock Clutch Fan,BT Catch CanExterior Mods:Factory Bed Liner,Retrax,R/T Grille,Debadged,Blacked Out Exhaust Tips/Ram Heads/Stock 20's on Nitto 305 55 Trailgrapplers,Black KMC Slide 24's on 305 35 Delinte Desert Storms,6000k HI/LO/FOG,Smoked Recon Projector Headlights/Third Brake Light/Tail Lights,Interior Mods: BT Custom Hemi Shifter,Recon Interior LED Kit, Cobra XRS 979

Hemi09R/T
from DT is going onto his third transmission already
and his 2nd one was even "Built" up. (no warranty)

mods:
Airaid CAI, 2/4" Drop ,Diablo Programmer (93 Octane), Flowmaster 40 Series True Duals(side exit before the wheel), Nitto 420 Tires (305,50,20), Powder Coated Black OEM Wheels, Painted Black Headlights, Street Scene Roll Pan,Airaid TB Spacer, 4:10 Gears, 2800 Stall Circle D TC, Smoked Recon Tail Lights ,Debadged, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, Jet 180 T-stat, 1 7/8"ARHeaders w/cats, Moes Ported Throttle Body,Raceland E-Cut out, Crazy Jay Eagle cam, CMR Tuned by Secret Service

I have also killed two trans :/ and i wasnt so lucky i dynoed only like 340 or so i cant quite remember but i would never have thought i was making enough power to blow one of these trannys i know they arent very good but i figured it had 400 rwhp in it after my rebuild since i went from 4 stock clutchs in each gear to 8 alto red racing clutchs in each gear and i had a shift kit installed my 2800 stall and the sonnax all on my tranny and i blew it in 72 day... idk what to do this time around my trans mechanic says he think the CIDS (clutch volume index) need to go from the 50s to atleast the 60s to hold the tranny together but i have no idea on what else to do
My best guess is that if you Dyno over 330 WHP, your days are numbered if you "use and abuse it.

#5 · (Edited)
My dealer was willing to rebuild it for me the first time I toasted mine, but I did not what the same stock parts that could not hold the power put back in. I am working with Alto to put together a better friction pack for us. When I rebuilt my trans, they did not have a solution for the 2C frictions, so I used some Raybestos clutches, but they did not last. I now have all Alto Red Eagle single sided frictions, upgraded low/reverse sprag, TransGo shift kit, upgraded trans pump bypass valve, and a Sonnax line pressure booster.

#12 ·
I am working with Alto to put together a better friction pack for us. When I rebuilt my trans, they did not have a solution for the 2C frictions, so I used some Raybestos clutches, but they did not last. I now have all Alto Red Eagle single sided frictions, upgraded low/reverse sprag, TransGo shift kit, upgraded trans pump bypass valve, and a Sonnax line pressure booster.
How is this new setup working for you?

#7 ·
...you guys are running into he same 2nd prime issues the 3rd gens have? I read alot of 4th Gens using 2nd primes while shifting..

#9 ·
...you guys are running into he same 2nd prime issues the 3rd gens have? I read alot of 4th Gens using 2nd primes while shifting..
That has not been my problem. I think the real problem with the 45-545RFE is line pressure. If you look at the 68RFE guys, they are boosting their line pressure because they can tune their TCM like the LX guys. The more pressure we can get on these clutches, the more they will be able to hold.

#13 · (Edited)
Problem is most of the guys burning up transmissions are WAY beyond a simple tune adjustment.

You can remove a tune easily enough and most dealers would never know,
its not that easy to remove a Cam/Heads and Headers that have to have a custom tune to run properly.

I agree with MGH, 2nd prime up shifts while racing are not an issue, its the overdrive frictions that are burning up in 3rd 4th and 5th.
...also down shifting from an overdrive gear to 2nd prime is not good either.

I have a Sonnax line pressure booster on the way to help increase clutch pressure in an attempt to limit clutch pack slippage.
and I'm already hunting down a used 545RFE to build up, good source for parts here:

http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rfe_performance_parts_from_pat.htm
The Ram 45 transmission comes with the high performance Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, Transgo Shift Kit, Second Clutch Red Eagle Power Pack. This Power Pack adds one extra clutch for a 50% increase in holding power plus better clutch material and Kolene steels, Forth Clutch Red Eagle Power Pack. This Power Pack adds one extra clutch for a 33% increase in holding power plus better clutch material and Kolene steels. Overdrive and Underdrive Red Eagle Power Packs are installed. Alto Red Eagle heavy duty clutch material on the other clutches, 11 5/8" heavy duty / performance torque converter (#45T) with a carbon fiber clutch, all bearing construction and furnace brazed fins. You can order stall speeds up to 3400 RPM. The newly developed Sonnax Line Pressure Booster makes it possible to override the factory pressure settings on a permanent basis. This is something that couldn't be done before now. Plus you can upgrade to a deep cast aluminum pan with fins that holds over 3 extra quarts of transmission fluid (#8X, $235.00). The price includes a free PATC T-shirt and we pay the freight up to $110.00. This means the freight runs from free to $140.00 after freight discount in most cases. All of this can be yours without a trade-in for $2899.00. Be one of the first to get the RAM 45 transmission for your Hemi. We have had a zero percent failure rate on this transmission with motors under 500 horse. Return your transmission core for a $300.00 refund less the freight to get it here. Call 1-888-8771008 to order.
We are now building the 45RFE / 545RFE with all Alto Red Eagle clutches including four Power Packs and the newly developed Sonnax Line Pressure Booster making it possible to override the factory pressure settings on a permanent basis. The factory transmission controller has always been a problem with this transmission. Combine 30% more clutch apply area with 30 PSI more line pressure and this is winning combination. All of this is going to make this a very strong transmission.
Fits 20[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]00-up Dodge 4.7L V-8 2WD and 4[/FONT]WD and 2003-up Dodge HEMI 5.7L V-8 2WD and 4WD.

#15 ·
The problem is how do you pass a slow moving semi or a blue hair on a busy two way single lane highway
without the trans downshifting to 2nd prime...since that's the kick-down (aka passing gear) for a an auto in "D" at highway speeds (overdrive).

Stupid Dodge :LOL:

That's why my truck is a city commuter only during the week, (1-2-3 shifts only)
and a weekend warrior at the track (1-2-2pr-3) and yes I manually shift it most of the time.

#16 ·
Yeah of course people have to downshift, I think the problem is that some people like to get going on an on ramp, then when they merge they like to floor it to feel the power....I think if you drive normally it wouldn't be an issue, and up shifting through 2nd prime wouldn't be an issue. kay9: were you having problems even with up shifting through 2nd prime?

#17 · (Edited)
Only have a SC3815 to help w/ tcm shifts but i cant think of a time of when the truck went into a upshift-2P while up shifting. I had issues with DSP that while going WOT from idle it would go to 1-2-3 then kick down to 2P and then back to 3. Going back to SC3815 took that away.

I just adjust my driving and the use of cruise control that i rarely need to go into passing gear...Been very good in keeping out of OD when going WOT....

Folks prob use 2P to get around me lol.

#20 ·
The sonnax line pressure booster.....I'm skeptical of this, but I see it's offered with the HP transmission....does anyone know exactly how this works, how exactly it boosts line pressure? I've heard people use it and have issues.

#21 · (Edited)
increased piston pressure on the clutch frictions/steels leads to less slip under torque
less slip = less chance of burning the friction material off the clutches and burning many of the transmission internals when the ATF is contaminated/degraded.
I'm pretty sure its nothing more than a series of resistors with a couple stock connectors...meant to trick the computer to increase pressure from the pump/valves

45RFE - 545RFE - 68RFE Line Pressure Booster

If you check the http://www.sonnax.com/ website, it becomes pretty obvious thay are not into selling "snake-oil" ebay gadgets or 100hp chips for $49 ;)

...More pressure for more Torque...it's a no-brainer.

The 45/545RFE transmission uses a full range line pressure sensor mounted on the outside of the transmission for "closed loop" line pressure control. Due to this system, traditional methods of raising line pressure by changing the PR spring or valves have no effect. The Sonnax Line Pressure Booster alters the pressure signal sent to the computer causing the computer to raise line pressure has 15-30 psi increase. Higher line pressure increases clutch holding power and torque capacity but with these transmissions, the increase has a limited effect on shift feel. Changes in shift feel will be noticed mostly under aggressive driving or loaded conditions. This part is ideal for heavy duty and modified vehicles and even stock transmissions when a little extra pressure is desired. No other modifications are required. The Line Pressure Booster installs between the pressure sensor and vehicle harness using OEM style sealed connectors. Simply unplug the vehicle harness and reconnect with one of these parts.

#22 ·
I'm pretty sure its nothing more than a series of resistors with a couple stock connectors...meant to trick the computer to increase pressure from the pump/valves
That's what I assumed too, but hadn't ever seen any explanation. I just don't like throwing things on my truck without knowing what they are...I may try it out...

#23 ·
I've been running one for a while now and have had no issues with it. Best of all, it is probably the simplist install of just about any mod out there.

#25 · (Edited)
LOL you need to get around more ;) There's several posts on "other" Dodge Forums
Here's a small sampling...

an 09' Laramie with superchips tuner:

ive got one, and it makes it much better.
my trans tune on my cortex doesnt seem to change the TM settings to where i can feel it any differant, but the sonnax does.
i had one on my 06 too and it was worth it.
Brand New 11' (no tuner) QC Sport with CatBack and Drop in K&N

ok sorry got delayed, i installed the Sonnax line booster, and all i can say is its night and day difference in shifts, they are alot firmer and quicker, there is absolutely no lag when you punch it, the thing just seems to haul, i kept going over 90 without even paying attention
All i can say is..... DO IT!!!!
worth every penny you wont be disappointed
09' Sport AWD Twin Turbo 500HP beast..

Autobred did not have a line booster installed, we never got around to doing it.
I just put my built trans in this weekend and have been running around with a pressure gauge on it to see what was going on with line pressure. The manual states that operating pressure is between 35 and 165psi. I replaced the bypass spring on the pump so that it will make more pressure, to keep the clutches from slipping. Without the line booster, driving around for 2 days, the max pressure was 150psi. I installed the line booster last night, and WOW what a difference. The shifts are much firmer, and much quicker, and the line pressure max is now 175psi.

#26 ·
Yeah this forum and the buell forum I'm on take up all my computer time lol. I probably spend an hour every evening on here, and 15-30 minutes every evening on the buell forum lol! I can't believe you guys belong to multiple forums like this, I'd have no time left after checking the messages haha. Usually on friday morning my wife will say to me "can we go on a date tonight, and can you stay off the forum for 24 hours?" lol. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I will try it out at some point and see how it goes.

#27 ·
I think this has been one of the best performance based threads I have seen on this forum yet!!!

haha im on 3 different forums like this. RamForumz Ls1Tech and Yellowbullet.com I wish i could only spend and hour or so a night on each one lol.

When i get home from work my girlfriend take my laptop and wont give me the power cord until I spend time with her and cook dinner! :LOL: Thankfully she likes my truck and LOVES my drag car so she understands why Im on the forums so much. Were workin on getting her a Ram as well and Im going to try and get her to come on as well :D

#29 ·
Yes I did the custom tune pushed her up into the 370rwhp range and that was enough to do roast the reverse shaft or something the dealer fixed it right up tho even with the listed mods I have. I pulled the tune and all was good.

#30 ·
Stay away from the sonnax line pressure booster this was the other reason why my tranny went.

#34 ·
Not trying to start anything with you, but what proof do you have that higher line pressure caused trans failure?
I have worked with a lot of different automatic transmissions and the only way to get them to handle more power is to boost line pressure one way or another. In the older transmissions, I would put stronger springs in the accumulator, or put check balls in some of the passages in the valve body to get more fluid to the clutches.

#33 ·
I would like more line pressure/firmer shifts/less slipping. I really don't care at all how "comfortable" it shifts. I'd rather it be firm. Just still slightly skeptical on any bad side effects of the line pressure booster...but agree more power obviously makes it harder on the transmission. I'll get it figured out...

Also, with the 4.7L I have a fair amount less power and torque than you hemi guys, but the same transmission, so I have alot less to worry about. My engine will never output more than 300rwhp, and that's if I do every mod that I have planned, and that's still probably out of reach. After all my mods I'll maybe be in the range of the stock 2nd gen hemi. I probably sit around 240rwhp currently. Getting another 60 rwhp from other bolt ons is not likely. If I did head work and cams, 300-350 rwhp is plausible, but I don't think I want to spend all that money on the truck.

#38 ·
I have been running the Sonnax for about 2 months now. I am quite impressed how it helped with shifting, I did not expect that big of difference.

#36 ·
You've made over 2300 posts on RamForumz alone since Jan11? OMG!

My post count here is only a quarter of yours lol and I've been here over twice as long....since July 2010.
Even my total posts on DT are only 1534 but that started there 7 years ago in Feb.04' when I had a 3G Hemi QC.

just sayin LOL!
Very true. I do post a lot....but I just try to answer people's questions, and comment on people's posts, and ask my own questions lol. Several posts an hour or so a night, and probably more on weekends, plus I pretty much always have the browser opened up with the forum, and check it throughout the day. I went on vacation for a weekend and came back to an inbox overloaded with forum messages haha, so I try to check it all day. I do my searching and time consuming stuff in those hours in the evenings.

Imagine if I posted this much on several forums, Yikes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.