DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Getting my tranny rebuilt!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Nck 
#1 ·
I'm getting my trans rebuilt on Monday. I'm just curious, what exactly is included in a rebuild? And how might my truck run afterwords? I've heard they run like a brand new truck, and sometimes they don't. Those who have had there's rebuilt.

#3 ·
And I plan on asking him when I take my truck in. I will get more info asking on here also. The pump is the main reason I'm having it rebuilt, it would be a grand to replace just the pump, but to rebuild it's only $1200 more. I think it's worth it.

#6 ·
Think of it this way, the pump and installation would be almost a grand. And for only $1200 more, I can have a new tranny.
But if I only did the pump and then my slush box goes out afterwords anyway then I'm paying 3 grand.
I think it was just more logical to have it rebuilt.

#8 · (Edited)
My point is, a good rebuild kit is around $200, a great one is under $500, and that's just clutches, bands, seals. The pump has to come out as part of the teardown. Where's the labor in that? My logic states for that much, I'd pay $2600 for a 500hp capable performance unit from my preferred online vendor (no core charge, price includes new torque converter), then put it in myself, or pay some transmission dude $300 to do the install on his day off. You're talking $1000 for the pump? That's $800 labor? (A rebuilt pump is under $200. A new one is just over $600). I think you're getting hosed. It's your money and I know sometimes there's not really a choice. Been there, done that, but given a choice, I guess we see it differently. Keep in mind, once torn down, they may find a need for hard part replacement. If the drums and/or shafts are damaged, that'll drive the price up more.

#11 ·
I see where your coming from. I'm pretty happy with the price considering I had to have a new pump put in, not rebuilt. (I was also told the pump was a diesel, whatever he meant by that) anyways, The rest of the trans was pretty much trashed. I had everything replaced inside. And for just the pump (only) would have been around 800-900, but I needed a rebuild anyways. I did research on about 14 different shops near me, this was by far the cheapest with the highest rated reviews. Rebuild came with a 12,000 mile warranty, and my truck drives like it did when it first came off the line.

#10 ·
How is the shift from 3rd to overdrive? Mine is always a surprise whether it will be smooth or harsh. I have never had a ride in a 2nd gen truck with a newish transmission.

I hate my 46RE, the 4L60e I had in my old truck was much better.

#13 ·
Sheesh I lost 2nd gear in my 46re and to have mine rebuilt is gonna run just south of $600 of course this is me doing removal and installing myself. This is new internals, torque converter, and seals. I had to call around though. but a couple of other shops them doing the labor would run 1000-1800. Anything over 1500 I can get a remann from dodge for that amount. They are not hard to pull though. Just time consuming and a pain in the ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.