DODGE RAM FORUM banner

whats everyone doing for rust prevention?

10K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Crash 
#1 ·
i am wondering what everyone is doing for frame rust prevention and under hood rust prevention.

ill let you in on what i do, i try to wash my trucks undercarraige at least once a month at the car was then i use there wax cycle and put a good coat of wax underneath it, then once dry i give the entire underside a coat of wd-40, pb blaster, or similar to keep a lube coating on the underside.

i 4x4 regularly and its a 05 and i dont have any rust under there yet. i am however wondering on the long term effects of spraying wd or pb blaster under my truck, will it eat bushings? because ive noticed im due for an entire bushing replacement which i am going to replace with polyurethane bushings, is it ok for all electrical connections? the only place i dont spray it is my exhaust (cause i did it before and it smoked for a long time)

is there any other methods people use?

#4 ·
Ontario Rust Protection.....Oil Spray, Got it done over a year ago, messy but stays good, dripless kind. I should have went for a respray, they do the hitch all over. No rust under there and well I would say it would not have any seized bolts ever, messy when working under there.

#10 ·
Thats a good one:LOL: I don't drive the truck much in the winter. I know having a 4x4 in ND and not driving it in the winter.:4-dontknow: If I do, it's because there is so much snow you can't get around in a front wheel drive car. As soon as the sand and salt trucks come out, the truck goes back in the garage. Then gets a cleaning, just to make sure.
'

#8 ·
I did some reading & found out that a company called RUST CHECK & KROWN may have started as the same company at one time.
KROWN is ONLY in Canada & RUST CHECK is international, but, no dealers come up on their site, right now it just reads Kmart??
http://www.rustcheck.com/theProcess.asp

#12 ·
I need something like that my frame is a crap show at 52k miles part of the reason I got it cheap. But this truck isn't my longterm solution about 1.5 years from now ill be looking for my next ram and expect to run it for a decade or so. My buddy w/ an f250 gets some glasses on and powerwashes the underbody and paints the frame I was thinking of doing tis but I like these rust prevention companies ima look into it.

#13 ·
If you want you can go with the rust prevention modules. They actually hook to the battery and then it grounds the truck. They are putting them out in newer vehicles to extend the warranty of the truck. It is supposed to electically charge the whole truck and make it resist rust. So every piece of metal will be protected with it.

If dont know the name for it. The thing is it is around $500+ for one of them. You dont have to spray the truck with this thing. You just basically hook it to the truck and go.

#18 · (Edited)
If you want you can go with the rust prevention modules. They actually hook to the battery and then it grounds the truck. They are putting them out in newer vehicles to extend the warranty of the truck. It is supposed to electically charge the whole truck and make it resist rust. So every piece of metal will be protected with it.

If dont know the name for it. The thing is it is around $500+ for one of them. You dont have to spray the truck with this thing. You just basically hook it to the truck and go.
now that is interesting, i cant seem to find this product online anywhere. any ideas where to get one?

wait... i found it! search CAT RUST PROTECTION, very interesting product.

#14 ·
East coast Canada, live near the ocean so lots of salt in the air and salt is used on the roads in the winter. I have always used Krown and it seems to work well.

#15 ·
In Minnesota we have Ziebart, dont know if they are in Canada? Its like 300 bucks and they undercoat the whole truck and treat the inner panels with a preventer. then once a year for 40 bucks you bring it back and they power wash the whole under side and recoat it. Mine is cleaner then when it came new from the factory after 3 minnesota winters. Its a chunk of money, but on a $30,000 truck whats $300 bucks!

#17 ·
im a fleet mech for our city, and we have always used krown, but we find it still did seem to rust slighty on exterior parts, we found that if you wash alot it will remove the krown, we switched to rustcheck and found a huge improvement!, also found if you do touchups with spraycans during the winter(when we serviced) if makes a big difference. the thicker undercoating thats on the market works ok but only when the vehicle is new or spotless, Most dealers use this on thier new trucks when you purchase this option. The key is to constantly do your own touchups after every time you wash. Also on the consern of the oil affecting rubber, Krown will ruin your lower rubbers on the doors and other softer type bushings, even if they say it dosent. The rustcheck product doesnt as far as we see.Dont spray any light oil rustspray over the thick undercoating.

#19 ·
i was planning on just powerwashing the bottom at the self pay car wash when washing but then also yearly or twice a year, just dousing a towel in motor oil and rubbing down all frame rails, bars, linkages, driveshaft, basicly anything I could reach when laying down under the truck. Anything wrong with this besides less than awesome rust prevention, I live in Mass. and some salt is used, but I'm always good about washing after heavy salt uses. Anyone else just use the rag method themselves?

#20 ·
i was planning on just powerwashing the bottom at the self pay car wash when washing but then also yearly or twice a year, just dousing a towel in motor oil and rubbing down all frame rails, bars, linkages, driveshaft, basicly anything I could reach when laying down under the truck. Anything wrong with this besides less than awesome rust prevention, I live in Mass. and some salt is used, but I'm always good about washing after heavy salt uses. Anyone else just use the rag method themselves?
thats basically been my method, exept im using pb blaster and wd-40 instead of motor oil, i cant see any problems with it, but i could be wrong.

#21 ·
rustproofing!!!!!1

#22 ·
LP3 is a spray on rust preventer, We use it on our plow units with the salter.
It does dry to a waxy coating in a few days, in rain water it holds up very well. The salt and sand mix does wear the waxy coating off the wheel well areas. But like in between the frame rails it stays on all winter. It is pricey like $54.00 a gallon. I can do a small pick up plow truck with a gallon.

On my own vehicles. I spray paint the frame rails and under side with engine
semi gloss paint. I have done this with every vehicle I have had since 1989
and even at year ten my 1989 pick up was not all nasty on the underside.
When I have a state inspection done the Techs always seem to notice.
even on the 07 Ram the tech mentioned that for being 3 years old its rust free and looks clean on the underside. Paint is cheap I buy it in the spring on sale. if I see any rust start I address in the spring or fall. I have bought an galvenized gray paint for the fllor pan if rust starts on the sheetmetal at the holes plugged with the rubber plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.