DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1995 Dodge ram transmission

10K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Magnum488 
G
#1 ·
Hi All;
I have a 1995 Dodge ram 4x4, 2500 automatic trans. with the 5.2 liter engine.
I have a problem with the transmission. If I drive the truck 'easy' meaning I don't step on the gas too hard it shifts fine through all gears. If I mash the pedal the shifting problem begins i.e. sometimes it will not shift out of first gear no matter how high the r.p.m. when I let off the gas it acts like it's in neutral. Other times it will shift from first to second but, needs to reach very hiigh r.p.m's to shift into third. The problems remains until the truck is shut off and sits for a while. Start it up and everything is normal again. Again, if driven gently it will shift fine all day long. Mash the pedal too hard and the problems start up again. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..
Jake.............

G
#2 · (Edited)
HEy Jake,
My truck did the same thing,
I changed my tranny oil, and as much as i hate to say it,i put in a conditioner, it is an aditive that renews the seals, along with the new oil. My truck shifts great now.

In short Your seals a worn... and in an automatic the pressure in the transmission is what shifts your gears,that is why when you first start it shifts fine, cuz your trany oil is cold , and the oil in your tranny is more viscus and is able to creat the pressure to engage the clutch. but when it warms up the oil is thinner and it is not creating enough pressure to engage the clutch witch explains the hesitation, and the hgih revs. ....like if you try to blow pudding through a straw .. then try blowing water though a straw... hahah Try changing the oil and add the conditioner, if that dosnt work you need new seals . I hope this helps.

i am not a tech. i just have had the same problem. I hope it was easy to understand. if not maybe someone eles could explain it to you. I know what i am trying to say , I just dont really know how to word it!:p

oh!! and dont mash your throdel. if there is a problem your only gonna make it worse..

good luck
MissRam..

#3 ·
if i recall im not tranny tech but the throwdown does like to stick on the dodges check your linkages or have a shop check em' out for you it may be as simple as the linkage is out of adjustment or something is wrong with the valve body or servos but best thing is having a shop check it out

G
#6 ·
Tranny problems help

Hey i have a 95 ram with the 5.9l, one day reverse stopped working, someone told me to check the rear band, so i took the tranny pan off and the rear band was kinda just hanging loosly, is this normal or is it supposed to be tight up against the piston???? And if so, can i replace the rear back or something to fix this problems?? by the way, all forward gears work fine still..

#7 ·
Kings, did you find a small square piece of metal in the pan? If so that piece goes on the anchor end of the band. If you can get it back in place and adjust the band then you should be good. I replaced the rear servo piston (low-reverse) on mine. Somehow it cracked :158: I had to drop the valve body to get to it, not a fun job but not to bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.