DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heater box

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, it looks like my '08's mode 2 door crapped out. Floor/Defrost only appears to work every now and then and only for a short time. You would think that dodge could design something that would last more than 4 years before it breaks. Heck, I've had instrument cluster, tie rods, door panels, rear glass, tie rods, and exhaust all either replaced or put back together before the 1st 23K miles. A happy camper I am not. Buy a new truck and the last of that body style, you'd think they would have this stuff worked out. It is no wonder why they cannot make it on their own. if it wasn't for their drive train, I would not own it.
If I would have been driving it more this summer, I might have noticed earlier, as i do remember one morning, hearing a crack/pop under the dash when starting the truck. didn't think much of it at the time, but a vague remembrance of the heater problem. I will be calling the dealer in the morning, we shall see what they say. Not looking forward to tearing apart the dash. Guess I should just keep driving my 1970 VW Beetle. At least the heat works like it is supposed to, much hotter than the truck. Probably have to trade the camper off for something a lot smaller, like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

#2 ·
Well, just came from the dealer. $1074.00 to replace the heater box. apparently, they modified it or something because it says "lower HVAC housing". $180 parts and the rest labor.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I've watched those videos. It is the mode 2 door or at the bottom of the box. The one they say to just leave. can't be without my floor heat or defrost. Not interested in doing it myself. I prefer to work on my old VW.

I told them it must be common enough that there is a company out there which sells nothing but parts to replace/fix their defective design. Didn't get very far with that

#5 ·
Since it was the mode 2 door, I didn't want to remove the dash myself as it has been only about 11 degrees for a high. Dealer did it and my final bill was actually a couple of hundred less than what I was quoted. :SHOCKED: when was the last time that happened at a dealer? Talking with the tech, he said that
Dodge updated the connectors for the doors which SHOULD take care of the problem. He ended up replacing the lower portion of my box, :shy: and installing new connectors for the rest of the doors. we shall see what happens.

#6 ·
Good to hear that it is fixed & that you saved some money
It is a pity that Dodge kept using the inferior plastic connectors & pivoting parts for so many years, it wasn't just in the Rams either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.