DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 Ram Laramie; Electrical Issues Already?

17K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Quiet Lunatic 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up my '11 on 8/20/2010. I have 1200 miles on it and today I had the weirdest thing happen. I just left home and the seats started to move back, speedo & tach quit along with fuel, oil, alt, ect. The whole das liye up like a Christmas tree. I pulled over, shut it off, waited for 15 seconds and started it up again, no joy.

I called the dealer (U-connect still worked, then it quit) I then limped to the dealer with the wipers going like crazy! It was like the truck was possessed!

There was a message on the display that said "NO BUSS". The dealer has the truck now, and I'm vehicleless. :doh:
Great 1st post huh? No, this is not a joke. I will post pics of the truck in a few mins.

Any ideas?

G
#2 ·
Yeah...the PCM glitched or the system lost communication with it.

This is a pretty rare occurrence in a new vehicle. So, I guess you are slightly unique in this respect. Doesn't that feel good?

They should be able to nail down the root cause and fix it after a short diagnostic test.

G
#4 · (Edited)
It may not be a failure. It may just be a loose connection, hence the comment on "lost communication".

Normally those PCM's get burnt in prior to delivery to the line.

So it may be a simple plug it back in thing or the PCM passed the factory test but glitched later. It happens.

Hell, I've blown up the PCM in my SRT8 before and I did in my ECU on the ImpalaSS.

And before you ask, don't... :D

#8 ·
With such low mileage, they should provide you with loaner Ram until they figure out your issues. You could try my trick, I go into the sales department, find a dealer that I know and ask him for an extended test drive.

#11 ·
The CAN-IHS bus has gone down for some reason, hence the wipers coming on, among other things. IHS busses are like the CAN-C in that they are not fault tolerant and will not work in a single wire mode like the old CAN-B systems. A loose/unplugged connection won't cause this problem. You most likely have either a faulty module or open/short circuit in the bus wires.

#16 ·
The CAN-IHS bus has gone down for some reason, hence the wipers coming on, among other things. IHS busses are like the CAN-C in that they are not fault tolerant and will not work in a single wire mode like the old CAN-B systems. A loose/unplugged connection won't cause this problem. You most likely have either a faulty module or open/short circuit in the bus wires.

Wow, Thanks Randy! Maybe I should have the beast towed to your place! Hopefully, it is a bad module and they can replace it and I'm on my way. Would this malfunction cause any other problems down the road?

#13 ·
Couple of thoughts -
1) Not sure where you live, but if you have winters like we do, it sure is nice to have these problems sorted out before winter.
2) Isn't warranty nice! You may have a problem, but at least you won't end up a huge bill at the end of it! :smileup:

BTW - Nice truck! Did all the fixings in the Ram Box come with it.....to pacify you in the event of a failure? ..... ;)

#15 · (Edited)
BTW - Nice truck! Did all the fixings in the Ram Box come with it.....to pacify you in the event of a failure? ..... ;)

Dodge has it as an option now. Your choice. I took the Pepsi products option with Bud lite & Crown Royal as add ons. You have to add your own ice. :doh:

Pretty tastey! :smileup:

At least when the truck breaks down I can enjoy the stop!

:repplus:

Wow, certainly a wide choice of smiles here! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#14 ·
My 2010 ram didn't start the next morning and had 20 miles on it! long story short the dealer had it for over 17 days and gave my a stripped down jeep crapokee while they had my truck until it was fixed! It works fine now(still has only 400 miles though), so it can be very dissapointing and infuriating at the same time but best of luck that they can solve it quickly. They should give you a loaner car in the meantime!

#18 · (Edited)
I hope you are right, but right now my confidence level is pretty low.

I'm sure it will all work out, probably just a bad module. Replace it and move on.

I love the ride in this truck! Wow! The coil spring thing sure makes the ride nice! Great interior, quiet, well appointed and laid out. Great air cooled seats! Nice smooth powerful engine and trans.

#19 ·
Nice Truck! They will get it figured out and then you can enjoy it.

#20 · (Edited)
Well boys & girls, I picked up the truck because they could not find anything wrong. The computers started talking to each other and all is well. When I drove it in (see post #1) they saw all of the symptoms so they know I'm not crazy, but they could not get it to do it even after driving it for 25 miles (on my gass!). I grabbed the key and off I went and.............. you guessed it it did it again.....then quit.

The best advice they could give me was drive it until it does it again and bring it back. I told them okay for now, but I did not sign on to be a beta tester. Strike 1, 3 strikes = lemon law.

#21 ·
I hate it when there's a problem but it behaves for the techs so they can't find it.

I'd stick to local driving for a while.

#22 ·
the 2nd time it would have been on a roll back tow truck courtesy of the dealership

today i heard a guy telling a service writer that his new jeep was giving him problems, his rear windows go down by themselves, they just replaced the rear end & some other items, he asked if he could get them to replace it

that was just after another guy with a broken Ram ignition switch had returned his Ram for the 2nd time, they had not even ordered it yet, & twice they had had it in the shop & released it to him saying that it was good to go

#23 ·
Funny, I replaced my billet grille with a honeychrome one. It's funny how everyone's taste differs. Glad that happened under warranty, hope it gets squared away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.