DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Power Ram Boxes?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  w30fan 
#1 ·
I know that they have released a power tailgate lock for our 2012 Rams, but have the released a kit to make the Ram Boxes power. It would be nice to have as sometimes its a PITA to undo the key from the fob to unlock the boxes.
thanks for the help in advance

#2 ·
I'm watching this too.

I believe the 2013 models have locking RamBox compartments off the OEM keyfob.

I just need a part number as I'm all but certain it'll work for us 2012 owners....

#3 ·
Yeah, on the 2013s the ramboxes and the tailgate lock with the keyfob. I cant wait for an OEM kit, that I can do this to my truck.

#4 ·
yeah i found the tailgate lock off a online dealer for like 103.00 shipped and my local dealer said they would install for 150.00 i know i could do it my self but if dealer does it it comes with warranty. so if you guys hear or find a part number for the ram boxes give me a shout

#5 ·
Power raising is what I thought you were originally asking about. Like automatic opening....that would need a servo or mini-hydraulic piston and small pump.

I hoped they had the auto-locks too.

#6 ·
power rambox locks would be awesome....i agree it is a pain in the ass to have to pull the key out of the fob to unlock them, especially now when its colder and i have gloves on

if the kit is outrageously expensive, i'm sure it could be done with some universal power lock servos and a little ingenuity

#7 ·
A linear actuator or the type would do the job. If you find someone willing to take the experimental plunge, let us know.

#8 ·
i went by a dealer today and asked if they had released a part #. the guy in parts looked as if i had just asked for a ride to atlantis. after talking to him for a while and explaining what i was looking for he told me to go talk to sales and ask to look at a 2013 with ram boxes. the salesman was no help and just gave me the sales number of the one 2013 they had on the lot with ramboxes and told me parts can look up anything with that. so back to parts i went and still got the puzzled look so he said lets go look at the truck itself. truck is one of the owners demos so it wasnt on the lot so he went and talked to a service tech who said it wasnt possible "yet". he then gave me a number to dodge and said call them. called them and after a 15 min conversation he said it wasnt available "yet" but i "may" be coming soon.:4-dontknow:

long story short who knows when or how but i may be a available soon

#9 ·
It is a bit off subject, but
do your Ram Boxes leak during heavy rain, or did they finally fix that issue for the 2012s

#16 ·
My Ramboxes did not close as tightly as I wished, so I readjusted the latch-loop inside the box by loosening the 10 m/m screws and resetting the latch. Make certain the "second" latch completely engages so as to slightly compress the weather seal.
No leaks.

w30fan.... I want to add the remote locks. Can you tell us the list of parts you used?

#13 ·
My 12 doesn't leak even going through car wash. You do have to make sure that you shut it so that the 2nd lock setting engages. It is similar to the old cars in that close lightly it is hooked but you can still move it up and down a little. Push it further and you feel the 2nd lock setting engages and there is no movement of the lid then.

#14 ·
My 12 doesn't leak even going through car wash. You do have to make sure that you shut it so that the 2nd lock setting engages. It is similar to the old cars in that close lightly it is hooked but you can still move it up and down a little. Push it further and you feel the 2nd lock setting engages and there is no movement of the lid then.
That in bold is the secret right there.

I didn't latch one side of my box fully one time during a bath and did have some standing water inside all compartments. I was worried that it was a manufacturer's fault and the truck needed a visit back to the dealership.

I quickly discovered the quick/operator error fix.

#15 · (Edited)
super old thread. But i completed my rambox power lock retrofit. Some parts from the dealer, some from ebay and some made by me. Was pretty simple and works flawlessly (some trial and error). But i'm happy with the results. Not sure how many 2011 rams have the retrofit but id like to think mine is the only one (probably not)! Anyway if you are reading this and want to attempt, let me know or even shoot me an email (pbert70@yahoo.com)

#17 · (Edited)
rambox locks

I used part # 68206065AA qnty 2 (harness) I only bought these for the use of the the rubber boot for the wiring. I couldnt find anything similar. bought 2 of #68203527AA. These are the lock cylinders only and have to be keyed to your original key. bought 2 of #68144152AC. These are the housings that the cylinder goes into. Those are the dealer supplied parts. The 2 actuators i got on ebay for about $27 for the pair. The cover for all the parts i made out of metal and had it powder coated. it looks decent i guess. Everything else is wires, automotive wire connectors (so it looks factory), screws, time, and patience from my wife. I connected to the power tailgate lock harness. I had to modify my original latch and make a piece that screws to the bottom of the cylinder that comes in contact with the latch which pushes the latch. It was actually a fun project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.