DODGE RAM FORUM banner

vibrations during shifting and driving

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Astartes 
#1 ·
Don't know if anyone is going to understand this but... Here it is.
Whenever I am driving around 35 mph... 1200 to 1500 rpms or downshifting from 5th to 4th my truck starts vibrating pretty badly. Almost like I am going over a long rumble strip. Then as soon as I let off the gas it goes away. Also during shifts it will start rumbling or vibrating again real quick. Then go away. Any ideas?

#3 ·
To me it sounds like a driveline issue. Because you describe it as if you feel it in the seat of your pants. Unlike a steering issue you feel in the steering. I would check the following in order of likelihood. Check U-joints for play, driveshaft for being out of balance-maybe a weight got thrown, tranny mount-might be loose (This is a very likely one since you get the issue while shifting), and least likely, motor mounts-loose (probably not broken as they would allow for a lot of rattling, banging, or possibly sagging of the engine.

#4 ·
Could be what we call "bumpalong", which is the PCM momentarily re-applying the releasing clutch during a shift (multiple times) in order to prevent engine flare. This is due to the learned Clutch Volume Index (CVI) for the applying clutch being too low. So it may be as simple as re-learning the CVIs.

Easiest way to do this is to ask your dealer to do a "quick-learn" procedure on your trans. They do this using a scan tool, and it takes less than a minute. This procedure resets all the trans shift adaptives to the "factory" settings and then re-learns all the CVIs. So give that a try and see if it takes care of the problem.

#5 ·
I think you need to remind everyone about what this truck has been through when you make new posts. Not everyone on here gets on often enough to remember this truck was water logged for lack of a better word.

People like transengineer REALLY REALLY know their stuff, i'm sure he would have like to have known that water was involved.

It's not to bust your balls for what happened, but it is a crucial part of the story with the issues with this truck

#6 ·
Low, Trans, and gone.... Thanks gents for the advice, all of it it great. I took it to the shop and they're once again fixing it.

... For now they put me in a tiny little Nissan Frontier. Not a bad truck I must say, but not really my cup of tea.

#7 ·
Well my truck is back in the shop. ****ing Dodge dealership just halfasses it everytime. Like they think I am not going to notice that not everything was fixed. Its unbelievable... I am thinking about getting a Toyota Tacoma for my next truck, no matter how much i LOVE ram. Anyway they set me up in a rental Nissan Frontier, Not a bad little truck.

#8 ·
Make sure you let us know what they say it was. I'm curious.

#9 ·
Well it is a "Bad Traction Control Module" So, we'll see. The stealership couldn't even figure it out I had to take it to a little shop. They figured it out in 30 mins compared to the stealership who had my god damn truck for 2 months. Idiots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.