Votes: 91 9.7%
  • Vavoline

Votes: 85 9.1%
  • Not Listed

Votes: 54 5.8%

What brand of motor oil do you use

59K views 249 replies 185 participants last post by  NOCORAM 
#1 ·
It seems like a favorite question among members is what is the best motor oil to use. Of course we all have our favorites from what was used by generations before us and we do not break tradition, misinformation from some auto mechanics that have been using it for over 40 years, and also the television commercial said it was good. So lets vote on your brand that you like and feel free to elaborate why.

#6 · (Edited)
Explanation of motor oil base stocks

Lubricant base stocks are categorized into five groups by the API.

Group I base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum which is further refined with solvent extraction processes to improve certain properties such as oxidation resistance and to remove wax.

Group II base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum that has been hydrocracked to further refine and purify it.

Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III base stocks are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax, (a byproduct of the dewaxing process).

Group IV base stock are polyalphaolefins (PAOs). A synthetic.

Group V is a catch all group for any other synthetic and mineral base stocks. Examples of group V base stocks include polyol esters, polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs).

Groups I, II, and III are sometimes referred to as mineral oils and groups IV and V as synthetic oils. However, most manufacturers have labeled their group III based oils as synthetic in the US for reasons of economy and marketing.

#5 ·
I just put in Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic in my 5.7L Dodge Magnum. There are a lot of opinions on this subject as you said - many swear by a product while others think that same product is garbage. I have a friend who has a Dodge Ram 5.7L and he also uses Mobil 1 but there are a lot of good oils out there.

#9 ·
I will reserve my vote till a later date. To be honest, I really don't know what brand of oil is in my baby. Since I get my oil changed for free at the stealership, I've never really bothered to ask. I imagine they're using the recommanded oil.

#17 ·
MOBIL 1 in the daytona an r/t........:smileup:

#23 ·
I found this:

This section features a special look at other oil filter alternatives for the 2.2L and 2.5L engines, listed by Mopar part number. Keep in mind that these filters are designed for different engines and have different dimensions. So, it's not fair to compare them with the other filters on this page. The fact of the matter is, these filters are made by the other manufacturers on this page. My mission was to uncover who is who. What I found is that Mopar uses several different manufacturers.

Quoted from this website:
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

#28 · (Edited)
MOPAR uses Mobil Clean 5000 for their regular Dino oil. This is what you will find in MOPAR label containers. The dealers usually buy oil in 55 gallon drums and buy the lowest price oil that meets Chrysler's standards. This information is about 1 year old but I think its still correct.

Did a little more checking and found some more info. Mobil is the manufacture of all of Mopar label oil grades.

#34 ·
Amsoil Signature Series 0W/20 100% Synthetic in the Hemi.
Amsoil Synthetic in tranny, rear & front ends.
Amsoil EA oil & dry air filters.

WHY?:

After reading up on Amsoil & having an oil analysis done at 23,742 miles on my first oil change, my mind was made up. I became an Amsoil Independent Dealer. Also, the fuel mileage increased w/ just changing the engine oil.

I then switched the rest of the fluids and ditched the K&N wet air filter for a dry Amsoil air filter. Fuel mileage increased again. I was really impressed.

Yes, it cost more to switch over at first, but in the long run, say a year, it saves me a bunch of money. Not only did my mileage increase saving some money, I now have a guarantee and only have to change the oil every 25,000 miles. My oil w/ 11,000 miles on the since this past change is still nice and clean.

Heck, I use it in everything. From momma's car to the lawn mower.

I'm not knocking any other oils out there, and yes, I am an Amsoil dealer, but I really believe in Amsoil's products just from my own experience.

That's just my $.02 worth. Everyone else has their own opinions.

#37 ·
How did you get lifetime oil changes with your '08? I sure could use that. Was that an incentive offered by your dealership, or an offer I did not know anything about?

#39 ·
Synthetic oil is a lot better oil.
It flows better in cold,
It takes more heat for it to break down and burn,
It lubricates better for longer,
It's lasts at least 2-3 times longer then conventional oil,
In general it's a more stable, better lubricating, longer lasting motor oil.

You can use conventional. oil and Change it every 3000 miles, or you can use synthetic and change it every 9000 miles. Syn. oil will actually save you time and money and you will be using better oil in the process. It is a no brainier to me.

Just my .02 A.C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.