DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best Programmer for 4.7L

57K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Darkknight3829 
#1 ·
Can I get some recommendations on which power programmer to buy for my 4.7L? I have a Volante Cold Air Intake and Flowmaster Cat-back exhaust. That is the only power mods I have done, and looking for the best programmer to give me a little better performance and better economy.

#5 ·
im going with the sct very soon but i want custom tunes for my mods

#7 ·
I forgot about the SCT, heard good things about that as well.

I've been wanting to try the diablo and the SCT to compare against my SC, but don't want to buy them all. Anyone in the Orlando area with those products want to meet up maybe at orlando speedworld sometime and test each others tuners out?

#11 ·
what other mods do you have besides the programmer?did it significantly make a difference in bottom end torque? that is my biggest complaint about my truck...and i have 3.92 gears......my only engine mod so far is an air raid cai and drop in filter...i would love to be able to bump it up a little before i put bigger tires on it ...
i have 265/70/17 and looking to go to 295/70/17

#18 ·
Does anyone have experience with the hand held tuners? Are the gains really as good as they say...? I hear around 45-50 hp and 35-45 tq. Are these real world numbers or paper numbers?
There is nothing available right now for your 2011, but I have the superchips flashpaq on my 2010 4.7L and here are the claimed gains direct from superchips:

2010 4.7L:

87 tune = 38hp and 30lbft
91 tune = 50hp and 55lbft
93 tune = 54hp and 67lbft

They have a 91 dyno sheet posted, that verifies the 91 results. I run the 93 tune and get slightly better gas mileage over stock. It actually ends up being a bit cheaper as far as overall cost per mile, even though you pay more for premium at the pump. Realistically though, it is slightly better and about evens out. I figured out that after like 3 years it'd pay for itself and that's with the amount of driving I do which is a lot. I love the tuner, the truck is much faster (dropped about 1 second in the 1/4 mile with the tune alone). The main benefit to me though is that it is much more responsive, as in more throttle response, and it shifts better/firmer and with better shift schedules. It is just more fun to drive, and has a significant amount more of low end torque which is what this engine needs.

Many people say their claims are bogus, but they don't realize that the claimed numbers are not peak gains, they are max gains. For example, the truck has 310 hp at say 5,000 rpm's stock. Well the 91 tune does not add 50hp at 5,000 which gives 360hp, it adds 50hp at say 2,500 rpm's. I believe the peak gain they said for the 91 tune was about 16hp and 33lb ft. It is extremely noticeable IMO and the best money spent. Diablo is another great product, although I have little experience with them. Most of what I know about them is second hand from others at the drag strip. The diablo is definitely the way to go if you need custom tuning though (for cams, headwork, longtube headers, etc...). I've said it many times but IMO the superchips "canned" tunes outperform the diablo "canned" tunes. That's what I've experienced watching others at the track. I also have a good buddy with a camaro that switched from diablo to superchips 91 performance tunes and he dropped 3 more tenths. I think the superchips is also more expensive though.

#20 ·
I just can't see more than 20 hp by retuning . Even with a new exhaust and cai, I find 50 hp to be far fetched. I thought about a tuner but I am worried about voiding out my warranty. They say you can see that it was tuned then put back to stock
Dyno's are proof enough for me. I've seen customers dyno their cars after buying the product and their results matched the advertised numbers, so I don't think they are bogus claims. Keep in mind, these are performance tunes running A LOT of timing advance. You can't tow with these tunes, or you'll end up with detonation. Also it is with higher octane fuel to resist detonation with more timing advance. This is why the factory can't tune them this way, they have to be tuned to suite all applications.

#21 ·
Dyno's are proof enough for me. I've seen customers dyno their cars after buying the product and their results matched the advertised numbers, so I don't think they are bogus claims. Keep in mind, these are performance tunes running A LOT of timing advance. You can't tow with these tunes, or you'll end up with detonation. Also it is with higher octane fuel to resist detonation with more timing advance. This is why the factory can't tune them this way, they have to be tuned to suite all applications.
I'm guessing the big gains with the 4.7 are due to adding a lot of ignition advance at low/mid rpm. I'm about to buy the superchips for my 2010 and use the 87 octane tune. Im hoping it's not too much ign advance when I'm towing my enclosed trailer. I may have to use 91 octane.

#22 ·
I'm guessing the big gains with the 4.7 are due to adding a lot of ignition advance at low/mid rpm. I'm about to buy the superchips for my 2010 and use the 87 octane tune. Im hoping it's not too much ign advance when I'm towing my enclosed trailer. I may have to use 91 octane.
Depending on how heavy your trailer is you can tow on the performance tunes as long as you run higher octane while doing so (i.e. 87 tune with 89 or 91 octane, etc...)

#32 ·
I also have the trinity and I like it but do you have the fan option available on your trinity? Also how much HP is the 93 octane performance putting out? I run the 93 octane all the time since thats the only type of gas i put into it

#29 ·
Thanks for the info on the Power Wire.

Found that Super Chips Programmers will work, after some more "extensive" :doh: searching.

Looks like the Vivid, Flashpaq & Cortex will work. Any opinions on those 3? It looks like they all do the same thing with the Vivid being an in-car (truck...) programmer while the other 2 are handheld units. I don't see a difference between the Flashpaq and Cortex other than price as they seem to do all the same things, at least according to Super Chips website.

#30 ·
The cortex is a flashpaq but grey, with 2 year power train warranty, and it can support more vehicles like diesels (not at the same time though....). It basically gives you a little peace of mind with the warranty.

The vivid is just more bells and whistles, has android capabilities, touch screen...etc... all the tunes are identical on all of them though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.