DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need some wheel and psi advice?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RyanJM 
#1 ·
I am currently running a 37x12.5x20 nitto trail grappler on kmc xd misfit wheels in black.

Truck 2011 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 hemi

What psi are you guys running in these tires? The tire is rating e and the door says 35 psi. but the tire says 65 psi.

Also what are you guys using for wheel polish on these matte black kmc wheels?
they always seem dull.

Lastly what kind of paint are you guys using to spray your frame, suspension, and driveshaft etc. parts to match factory black frame color?

Thanks for any info and merry Christmas!

#2 ·
The tire rating PSI should never be used
it is more or less telling you what the Highest weight load that the tire can possibly carry safely & what pressure it would need to have in it to carry that load

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual.

The PSI placard on the door is for the original size tire that comes factory stock

also remember that a given PSI, in a unladen tire, say 35 PSI, pounds per square inch, is the same pressure in a wheel barrow tire as it is in a pickup tire
So you may have to adjust the PSI to haul heavier loads, then lower the pressure after that heavier load is removed

#5 ·
I am currently running a 37x12.5x20 nitto trail grappler on kmc xd misfit wheels in black.

Truck 2011 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 hemi

What psi are you guys running in these tires? The tire is rating e and the door says 35 psi. but the tire says 65 psi. GT summed it up for you. You are comparing max tire pressure (tire) to the manufacture recommended tire pressure for the weight of your truck. I would start at the manufactures recommended tire pressure, then move up/down from there. You shouldn't need to deviate from the placard much more than a few psi, the larger tires require more volume, not psi.

Also what are you guys using for wheel polish on these matte black kmc wheels?
they always seem dull.
I'm confused! You have wheels with a matte finish, but they are dull and you want to polish them????? Sounds like you should have bought a wheel with a gloss finish if you wanted that. Soap and water is all you want to use on a matte finish.
Lastly what kind of paint are you guys using to spray your frame, suspension, and driveshaft etc. parts to match factory black frame color?
I suppose you could pick up the factory matched duplicolor paint in a can, but that will get pretty spendy. IMO unless you are wanting to add some rust prohibiting paint I would just leave the factory paint/finish. I think that it will be a lot of work to keep the paint up on the underside. I think it's going to chip, fade and crack pretty easily.

On that note I have used KRYLON Rust Tough Hamm-R paint on some atv parts before and really liked the outcome.

Thanks for any info and merry Christmas!
Hope this helps some. Merry Christmas to you too.

#9 ·
I have always run between 40 and 45 psi in my tires. Good balance of towing, handling with still being sift enough for a decent ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.