DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Should I lower my Ram? Pic inside for your opinion.

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 · (Edited)
I put this in the exterior mods section because that's pretty much all this would be....an appearance mod.

I have been thinking about lowering my truck just a little. Probably 1.5-2" front and back (whatever 2" drop shackles would give me) in order to maintain the level stance. I know what most are probably thinking...why would you lower it? The reason is because I love the stance but have very often found myself disliking the amount of gap between the tires and fenders. The tires I want that would help fill the gap are $1300 a set...not feasible right now. I can drop it down a little for less than $150. Depending on how it looks with the stock sized 33" tires I may even eventually go to a 305/50/20 (32") tire. A new set of those is considerably cheaper than the taller tire and I like the idea of the width.

So here's a pic of how my truck sits. Should I drop it 2"? These third gen Rams sit up higher than any other stock 1500 I have ever seen, including the 4th gen Rams, so I really don't think a 2" drop will make it look lowered. I think it will make it look normal, lol. Opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I would drop it like 4 inches front and back and then get some nice street rims like srt-10 rims or something along those lines. But thats's just me haha nice truck though!

#5 ·
Lol, I have looked at some really nice lowered trucks and like the sport truck look but I don't think I can go that low. Mainly because the price of a 2/4 drop looks like it's going to run easily over $500. Secondly, because even though I don't offroad, we do go camping on some family land that is only accessible down a fairly rough access road and I don't want to sacrifice the usability of my truck.

As it is now, I can lower the back with drop shackles for ~$75 and the front with the torsion bars for the cost of an alignment. Total for a 2" drop = less than $150.

Thanks for the opinions...keep em coming.

#4 ·
So, you decided to keep your truck? That's cool.
While I personally have never been a fan of going lower w/ a 4x4, I always say to each his own. It certainly would look good (but it already does, IMO). If it were my truck, I would save up the cash, jack it up a little, and put some badass MT's on it! You have got a good looking truck, and you can't go wrong either way! It's whatever YOU want since it's YOUR truck :smileup:. Do what makes you happy!

#6 ·
Yeah, I did. I looked and looked and basically I can't find a smaller truck that I like as much and know as good as my Ram for my price range right now. Plus, no more than I drive it, the gas savings of a smaller truck really isn't going to be significant.

I know what you mean about lowering a 4x4. Seems to defeat the purpose right? That'a another reason I'm not really interested in lowering it any more than 2" all around.

#7 ·
First off, great looking truck man! I get where you are coming from. If you want the smaller gap, go with the 2" lower. It will not affect your ground clearance or ride quality enough where you would even notice it on your occasional off road use. I do recommend not going to 4" or lower because this will affect everything from alignment to towing problems. Speaking from years of lowering experience here. Sure it looks great in a magazine, but real world applications.. not so much. Hope this helps man!

#9 ·
Well, I went ahead and did it. Just the 2" drop shackles and front TB adjustment. There are some pics in this thread if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the input!

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=134805

Now I have just got to decide whether I want to throw on some 305/50/20 Nitto 420s or just stick with the stock sized Cooper Zeon LTZs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.