DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Wheel Bearing replacement

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Nutsandboldts05 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my ram was making kind of a wierd noise the other day, so i figured i would check it out..ya know...just to be safe. Come to find out that my front drivers side wheel bearing is close to falling apart. And i was just wondering if they are difficult to swap out or not.

#5 ·
Just changed my driver side last night, thought it was the issue, nope!
The truck started making a squeaking sound over bumps about 3-4 months ago, about 1 month ago the squeaking sound accelerated with my speed until it was a constant sound then went away. Implying that it would be a bearing of some sort, well Monday the truck started making a sound from the left front only 60-65 and over got it up to 90, LOUD. Anyway, last nigh replaced the wheel bearing, and that aint it, happened on the way home. Actually ordered the LF axel also but wouldn't u know it comes in mis-packaged. So now I have to wait till next Thursday for shop night! FML

#6 · (Edited)
Like someone said, basic hand tools.
For a 2007 Ram 1500 Crew Cab w 4WAL brakes, I found a USA-made replacement hub at NAPA. $205 includes new ABS Sensor.
Offshore built are available substantially cheaper.

-Remove tire/wheel
-Remove caliper with 10mm socket, 17 mm backup wrench
-Remove brake pads
-Remove caliper bracket with 22mm socket and breaker bar
-Remove disc rotor
-Disconnect ABS sensor wire.
-Remove hub unit with 18mm socket and breaker bar
-Install new hub, torque to 120 ft-lbs.
-Re-connect ABS Sensor wire
-Re-install disc rotor
-Re-install caliper bracket, torque to 130 ft-lbs
-Re-install brake pads
-Re-install caliper, torque to 24 ft-lbs
-Re-install tire/wheel

Not only did this fix the disc rotor grinding on the caliper, the cruise control works again too.

regards,
Leon

#7 ·
Like someone said, basic hand tools.
For a 2007 Ram 1500 Crew Cab w 4WAL brakes, I found a USA-made replacement hub at NAPA. $205 includes new ABS Sensor.
Offshore built are available substantially cheaper.

-Remove tire/wheel
-Remove caliper with 10mm socket, 17 mm backup wrench
-Remove brake pads
-Remove caliper bracket with 22mm socket and breaker bar
-Remove disc rotor
-Disconnect ABS sensor wire.
-Remove hub unit with 18mm socket and breaker bar
-Install new hub, torque to 120 ft-lbs.
-Re-connect ABS Sensor wire
-Re-install disc rotor
-Re-install caliper bracket, torque to 130 ft-lbs
-Re-install brake pads
-Re-install caliper, torque to 24 ft-lbs
-Re-install tire/wheel

Not only did this fix the disc rotor grinding on the caliper, the cruise control works again too.

regards,
Leon
dont really need to remove the brake pads.... I think you need a 31mm socket for the nut on the axel end as well.. brake cailper brakcte doesnt need to come off either, just the caliper itself and hang it off of something with some mechanics wire or soemthing to that extent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.