DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Raptor nerf bars suck!

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Muerm81 
#1 ·
I ordered a set of Raptor wheel to wheel 5" oval step bars for my new 2014 Ram crew long bed. Now I purchased these with the understanding that they would fit either a long or short bed. So I knew they would not reach the rear wheels. That's fine. I installed them with little trouble. However, the first issue I had was the body mount bolts. Raptor's mounts require you to remove the original heavy galvanized bolts dodge supplies and replace them with cheap plain steel bolts they supply with the hardware package. No big deal, I'll buy new bolts. Now I get the bars on... They don't look right to me. It has nothing to do with the mounting. I adjusted them as far back as possible, but for some reason Raptor mounted the rear step for the bed access by the rear doors of the truck. Half the pad is by the bed so it is still usable. It just doesn't make any sense. So I did what any normal person would do... Call the company and complain. I was told more than once these are the correct steps for my truck after I told them I realize they are the correct ones, they fit, and I know that your little book is going to say the same. The truth is they do fit, they just don't look like they belong in my opinion. Raptor should not advertise a product to be a custom fit application when it is clearly not intended for that application. I don't believe they would look good on a short bed either. At one point they actually told me the steps are placed exactly where they should be for practical use not looks. If that was the case there would have been no argument. The fact is that only half the rear step is usable. And if the product doesn't look good no one would buy it. Looks and accessibility are equally important. Unbelievable! In the end, customer service treated me like a child, they had no interest in satisfying me, and I will never purchase a product from them again. More than anything I'm pissed at customer service. If they were a smaller company I bet they would have built a set for my truck. I'm a small business owner and that's what I would have done just to shut me up.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm considering the mopar boards. Either that or I'm going to build my own. I'm a pretty good welder. Raptor had every chance and I told them i was going to post reviews about my experience. Their response was they sell a ton of them, good luck. People need to hear this so I'm working on posting as many reviews on many sites as possible.

#8 ·
I will tonight. It is not that bad, just not that great either. For $500 I expected a little more. Everyone has their own preference. The breaking point for me was dealing with customer service. If not for that experience I wouldn't be trashing this company.

#9 ·
I got the 4" ovals and I love them. I like them much better than the stock ones on my '12. Mine were $269 delivered to my door from autoanything. Note that the Raptor ones are rated 500lb, they look and feel very sturdy, whereas most of the other ones are rated 300lb. They don't flex at all (tried it with 2 people on jumping up and down) and they are away from the body panels a bit more than stock, which is exactly what I needed, a USABLE bar. All the other ones, including stock, are way too close to the door and my foot doesn't fit ok, especially with hunting boots on. I'm not a big guy, 5'9 - 180lb and these are perfect for me, especially when getting out of the truck. I tripped several times on the stock ones, even more when wet.
Also, note that the raptors have 3 mounts, most of the other ones have 2. Also, they do not collect ice/snow as much as the other ones, being away from the doors. They look awesome, chromed, not polished.
Cab length, short bed:

#10 ·
They built a nice bar for you. Looks awesome. I agree they are sturdy even though mine only have 2 mounting points. When I step on them the bars flex not the mount since they are into the body mount. On that note I could see the pressed in nuts on the bars working there way loose. It seems like that's the flex point. For the record, I never said they were a bad looking bar. I just don't like the way they look, fit, and function on my truck. I told the guys at raptor if they had built this bar for my truck I bet it would be awesome. By the way, I wish they stuck out a little further. I have to be careful stepping into my truck with my size 13s. My father has the ford factory boards on his truck and they are perfect, a touch lower and a touch further out.

#13 ·
Did you install them? What did you think of the hardware? I don't like the idea of removing good bolts and replacing them with junk. I'm sure there are very few companies that supply galvanized or stainless hardware, but come on now... Maybe I'm being too picky, I just like to be able to get things apart without a lubricant, torch, or chisel. I've seen my share of corrosion living on the coast. Remember rust attracts rust. If the bolts start to rust it will eat through the underbody coating they're touching. I purchased my last truck used with stainless running boards already installed. The first thing I did was pull them off, clean all the steel brackets, paint them, and reinstall them with stainless bolts. I snapped almost all the old bolts removing the boards. I was brought up to do things right the first time. I care about my new truck, these companies don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.