DODGE RAM FORUM banner

entire truck bed-lined?

21K views 112 replies 39 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I've been considering this for a while but what about an entire RAM bedlined? Obviously its not going to be cheap, probably in the same ballpark as painting it a matte black. opinions? Anybody try it? I've seen some jeeps but nothing else.

#70 ·
i know this is an old thread but thought id see if any of you guys went thru with it and lined your trucks in bed liner? i went ahead and did it the diy way with scorpion liner and im happy with the outcome with it :smileup:

#80 ·
hey sorry its took me so long to respond to this but id agree with some of the other guys about it being roughly 50-60 pounds. spraying it was pretty simple. just takes forever to sand and tape everything off on such a big surface lol i sprayed 4 gal of red and 2 gal of black on it. prolly order another gal of black to get my fender flares sprayed and back onto the truck. the 6 gallons and spray gun cost me just under $600 bucks. scorpion offers a life time warranty on there liner which i think is pretty dang good since i dont know any other diy company that offers that. as for durable i went off roading last week thru some thick brush and not a single scratch on her. just let me know if you have any other questions

#72 ·
that is a picture with it done... for big reds... heres mine...
looks darker in person.. its a gloss finish but the texture reflects light and makes it look glittery haha

Reactions: LowUFO
#73 ·
Aparini,

That is one tight looking paint job! I was seriously considering doing my whole truck in a liber, but I was concerned about the additional weight, and obviously the cost. I started painting my truck with PlastiDip, but the durability isn't quite what I was expecting or wanting.

#74 ·
Aparini,

That is one tight looking paint job! I was seriously considering doing my whole truck in a liber, but I was concerned about the additional weight, and obviously the cost. I started painting my truck with PlastiDip, but the durability isn't quite what I was expecting or wanting.

I talked to my local Line-X guy about this. He did an F150. After weight was less than 50lbs more, its not really that heavy.

#81 ·
Those are some pretty solid paint jobs (no pun intended). I have a buddy who drives a Ford F30 Quad Cab w/ 8' bed and he has been kicking around the idea of doing his whole truck. I'll show him the pictures and if he decides to go for it, I'll post pictures of his truck. That's definitely a nice truck Bigred!

#82 ·
Thanks bud!! its been a work in progress lol just added n-fab steps to it this week and i think they really set the truck off :smileup:

#83 ·
looking good red. now do your bumpers and lose the last bit of chrome.

#84 ·
you think so? ive been debating what to do next... ive been contemplating getting a bumper like yours but just dont have the funds for it. Could maybe afford the road rhino version if i sell some stuff i need to get rid of. (old side steps from truck, paintball gear, and whatever else i could find i dont need no more lol) but just not sure how my bumper would look all black... if i went with one like yours then id deff spray it all black, but i also put on a brand new all chrome grill when i painted the truck so id have to do something with that too... :LOL: ive also been wanting to get new polished exhaust tips but if i go all black and red will polished tips look bad? or do i need to go with black tips if getting rid of the chrome?

ugh so many ideas! what are your thoughts?? :4-dontknow:

i still have to find some time to install my new 52mm throttle body and cold air intake lol

#85 ·
Personally If you have the old grille still and Your liner left.. do the first... and then plasti dip the bumpers black. to see if you like the overall look..

exhaust i would just dump.. no tips sticking out. but thats me.. Only thing left chrome on my truck is badges and Tips... But those will be going away when I get my new rear bumper..

#86 ·
hmm so many ideas im kickin around now! i would really love bumpers like yours or a suspension lift :) where did you purchase your bumpers? and rough estimate of how much they would cost?

#87 ·
Front was 996 rear is going to be 975. why the rear is more expensive.... no idea.. plus install... with as much as i travel for work I dont have the time to do it my self.. :/

#88 ·
damn that's not too bad! ya surprised the rear is same price as the front that's weird lol the road rhino bumpers im looking at you can get front and rear for $900 but that's for the wiy kit so id have to do all the welds and spray it in bedliner. where do you buy yours from and does those prices have shipping included?

#89 ·
i had the dealer order them through a supplier when my truck was in the shop getting fixed. they are Iron Cross bumpers

#90 ·
ah nice sounds like you got a pretty good deal then!

#91 ·
How well does mud and dirt wash off, i would think it would be harder to clean because it would get down in the cracks, i was thinking of doing my bumpers and some fender flares in tan

#92 ·
depends on how you do it... you doin it yourself or havin it sprayed? i found that the bedliner from autozone and other automotive stores rolls/sprays on really thin and hard to build up layers and its a very sandpaper like finish so its very hard to keep clean. dirt just grabs onto it and doesnt want to let go. even with a high pressure power washer some of the dirt wont come off. one trick my buddy uses tho is he uses the tire shine products on them when he washes them and the bedliner will look like it is freshly sprayed on for a week or so. but with the scorpion coating and line-x that i have i can just spray it with the power washer and all the dirt runs right off and looks new again :smileup:

hope that helps ya out bud

#94 ·
i think it will be like the very first stuff i had... very sandpaper like. id suggest maybe spraying a small section of cardboard first and see how you like it then maybe throw some dirt on it and see how easy it is to wash off. just an idea for ya

#95 ·
It has been over 2 years since anyone has posted on this thread, I am getting ready to have my rockers from the body line down, bushwacker fender flares and both fab four bumpers sprayed with black linex bedliner. What is the best current linex product out there for ease of cleaning? A couple coats of clear over the linex? i work offroad so doing this makes the most sense for my rig.

#96 ·
Be sure to post pics so we know how it looks. I am thinking of doing that in black but leaving the bumpers chrome and not adding flares when it eventually needs repainted. I saw a 2nd gen that had that done to it and thought it looked really good.

I think most of the liners out there are about the same. My linex and my dad's Ameriguard have both stood up to yards of stone, gravel, rock, and pallets of bricks like it was nothing. I think the hot sprayed ones are better than the cold sprayed ones like Rhino, but they're good too. I don't think any of them will be particularly easy to clean.

#97 · (Edited)
[Finally had time to do mine today can't sleep and seen this thread figured if post. Now with prep (I work at a body shop) I used a hard nylon brush and my da with 80grit went over with laquer thinnerbefore painting. Me an the ol lady thought it'd be fun to roll it on today, it's a mixture of SEM bed coating, gloss black equipment paint, 2oz of house of color fine flake and some spare hardener I had sitting around at shop to speed the process up. It took bout 2hours now we did use some rust oleum in spray can for trimming out the jams, bottom of doors,rockers,and bed quarters.

From this...

To this...

Thinking bout doing the wheels in gun metal. I'll be putting emblems on tomorrow and camo on the bottom of truck in a week or so.

#99 ·
Giving this old thread a reboot as I'm about to do this to my 2001 1500.
Herculiner is 10lb per gallon, including the can. It would have to take a LOT to make any significant difference in weight, especially on a vehicle that already weighs in over 2.5 tons.

#100 ·
Oh man around 2003 I painted my Trooper with bedliner, and so many people seemed unnaturally concerned about the weight. I don't know why that specific aspect of my life became their concern but it really seemed to get under a lot of peoples' skin and they just had to warn me about the weight.

I guess it must gain a ton of weight when half of it evaporates as it dries...

#102 ·
Bedrugs Rock, protect and don't cause rust

Have ya considered a Bedrug? They are ideal for moving furniture (no scratches) and keeps items from shifting around without tiedowns. Also perfect for use with my trucktent (insulates and makes it cozy) and keeps stuff from sliding around. I'm a big fan of them. Had one in my red truck for a decade and still looks nice. Great for moving stuff like furniture you don't wanna scratch too. Check the video out:

The Bedrug is perfect for those who camp like I do.

Just put one in my new truck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY

#103 ·
Well I did it. This truck is never going to be a beauty queen after the tree landed on it, and with almost 300k on the chassis and body (1k on rebuilt motor and transmission), I'm definitely not going to invest a lot of $$ into making it look pretty.

That being said, I wanted it at least all one color and didn't feel like going through all the work to shoot it with paint, so it got the bed liner treatment. I bought the 1 gal kit of Herculiner. After knocking the gloss off it, I did one coat on the back doors since they were white.

As soon as the weather got above freezing again, I rolled on a coat over the entire truck. I have about 1.5 pints left for touch up. Yes, less than one gallon did the entire truck. It has a vinyl bed liner and I run a cap during the winter so I didn't do the inside of the bed. If it was a light color, a second coat may have been needed but since it was originally dark blue, one coat did it all.

Reactions: Thunderhorse
#104 ·
That actually looks a lot cleaner than it did, and now you can just pressure wash it off when its dirty. Looking forward to seekng how it holds up!

#105 ·
I would totally Line-X an older truck to prolong its life and overall appearance if it still ran great. Just the maintenance aspect alone of only having to pressure wash it to clean it. No more waxing, buffing, touch up painting, worrying of parking under trees which threaten bird crap and acorns.

Come to think of it, Line-X the entire truck should be a factory option!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.