DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 mpg

8K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  jmr 
#1 ·
I have a new 2012 Laramie crew cab 4x4 on order. There are a couple of YouTube videos that say when the engines go to four cylinders that mpg on highway is 26-28 mpg. What is everyone really getting in real life driving on the highway.

Thanks

#3 ·
Last week I picked up my 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC 4X4 w/ the 5.7L Hemi and 3.92 LS gears.

On the drive home from the dealer (about 60 miles away) while driving on the highway, averaging 65~70mph, the computer was showing 21 mpg. Around town I'm getting about 14~15mpg. The truck has about 300 miles on it now. Still breaking it in.

#4 ·
A lot of different posts, on other MPG threads, claim some ridiculous numbers. Basically, I wouldn't put much stock in what a lot of people claim if the numbers sound too good to be true. Per tank full, I usually average between 16.5 - 17.5. Best and worst numbers were 18.3/15.2. All hand caculated. Many post what the EVIC displays, but I have noticed that the evic can be significantly off at times and can't always be counted on to be accurate.

Also, I suspect many people post numbers for a specific trip they took, which is not an accurate gauge of MPG. In my case, I could tell you my EVIC showed 22mpg for a one way, 40 mile, trip to work. But the whole truth is, my trip to work is mostly down hill, and on the way home, that day, I probably got about 15mpg driving back up hill.

I have the 4x4 crew, with 3.92's. IMO, in my time with the ram, warmer weather does seem to help MPG slightly. Overall though, I have been happy with my MPG and even a little surprised. It is a big truck, and for a big truck it does pretty well.

#6 ·
lol I just don't get good gas mileage in colder weather because I sit there and let my truck warm up, which contributed to me getting 12.5 mpg on my first tank of gas on my new truck. 80% city 20% hwy

This tank of gas so far I've driven it say 80hwy/20city and if the gas gauge is accurate (just under 1/4 tank used. 1/4 of 26 is 6.5, so call it 8 gallons used), then I have been getting 17.5 mpg.
Of course, this isn't totally accurate, but it's definitely not the 25+ mpg you were referring to. I've been noticing that even the slightest hill makes the truck go back into 8cyl mode when set on cruise control, so if you had perfectly flat ground for miles and miles, plus a pretty stiff tailwind, you MIGHT be able to get over 25mpg. MIGHT

#7 ·
I have had my truck just under 3 months and now have 7800 miles. I'm getting between 17.5 and 16.5, manually calculated, overall with 80% being interstate at 70 MPH. Before it cooled off those numbers were almost 1 mpg higher and I've always had the same results of lower MPG in cooler weather on other vehicles as well. I had something interesting occur on my last fill up. EVIC was saying 15.1 average mpg which is the lowest I had observed and I attributed it to headwinds all week long, swear it changed midday :). However when I filled up it calculated out to 16.8. Usually it would show higher, calc lower. Just found that interesting.

#8 ·
I have had my truck just under 3 months and now have 7800 miles. I'm getting between 17.5 and 16.5, manually calculated, overall with 80% being interstate at 70 MPH. Before it cooled off those numbers were almost 1 mpg higher and I've always had the same results of lower MPG in cooler weather on other vehicles as well. I had something interesting occur on my last fill up. EVIC was saying 15.1 average mpg which is the lowest I had observed and I attributed it to headwinds all week long, swear it changed midday :). However when I filled up it calculated out to 16.8. Usually it would show higher, calc lower. Just found that interesting.
I have the fancier computer data readout deal like the EVIC on my GM vehicles, but that fuel mileage calculation component can be off as much as 2 mpg or more. I always do the true mileage to fuel used for figuring mpg, as it's much more accurate. The trip and permanent odometers always seem to be right on the money by mileage sign checks and GPS comparison.

#9 ·
I am getting 16 hyw at 78mph and 13-14 city.

Just towed a 23 ft V nose trailer with only 1 snowmobile in it 250 miles and had to get fuel. burned 29 gallons! thats less than 9 mpg. :doh:
Same trailer with 3 sleds in it with my 2008 Cummins got 16-17. That was with all deletes done.

#11 ·
My Tahoe was just as bad with the v-nose and two-three snowmobiles inside. It was like I had a fuel leak MPG was so bad!!!!

I haven't pulled anything yet with my Ram, but I typically get around 17 mpg when the majority of my driving is highway. Again...this is average, and I'm usually hauling the mail as they say. If I slow down between 60-65, it's much better. Get anywhere in the 45-50 range, and it gets great gas mileage according to the EVIC. For a close to 400hp V8, I'm pretty happy how reasonable the mileage can be all things considered.

#12 ·
I just bought my 2012 Laramie last week with 24 miles on it. The 160 miles drive home was into a headwind and averaged 17 mpg. That was half at 68 mph, half at 60 mph. Came home from Thanksgiving with a tailwind and averaged 19.5 mpg running 60 mph. This is running winter blend fuel, 10% ethanol.

#14 ·
I've had my Express 1 month with 2,500 miles on it so it's still breaking in.
With 3.55 gears and LSD the hand calculated mileage is from 16 to 18 with
a 50/50 mix of city and highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.