DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Blackout Tape Removal - Process

43K views 76 replies 54 participants last post by  stefanAT 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the process for removing the tape. Easiest mod in the world. Took all of 15-20 minutes to do. Before/After pics are posted in a separate thread (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83107).

1) Remove the weatherstripping screw from inside the door.
2) Slowly peel back tape from the outside edge.
3) Pull loose from window pillar (sorry, forgot to rotate the picture of this and edit would not allow me to do so).
4) Use your thumb to help hold back the window liner to get all of the tape off from the inside edge.
5) Clean any remaining residue off (I had almost none).

NOTE: The screw on the back door should be removed with a magnetic screwdriver to help prevent it from falling inside the door. If you do not have one of these, a simple remedy is to stuff some paper in the weatherstripping just under the screw. If the screw falls loose from the screwdriver, the paper will prevent it from falling in the door (see last pic).

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hope you took some before and after pics. You know how much people on this forum crave pictures!

#17 · (Edited)
No residue for me either. I did wipe the entire area with Goo Gone once it was removed just to be sure but it probably was not necessary.

#18 ·
Finally got the nerve to remove the blackout tape this afternoon! I like the new look much better. Not that I hated the tape, but I was worried that as the truck got older it would not hold up.

Thanks for the step by step and pictures. They really helped!

#20 ·
Thanks GH! That means a lot coming from you. Of course, love is hitting the scales to the upper right. Just sayin'.

#30 · (Edited)
#34 ·
Wish I would have seen this thread before I peeled mine as I was prepping the truck for paint/bodywork. I used a razor to scrape it off (97 Ram) and it was really on there too. I got it all off and some laquer thinner took care of the residue, No biggie on gouges as it was all sanded down anyways and primered. I was debating keeping the tape as well but was in the way of prepping the paint. In the long run, I like it without the tape so this is the way it will stay. Nice write up !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.