DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Front bumper paint question

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bikenut 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 TRX with only 3000 miles on it and upon washing it I found about 20 paint chips in the front bumper that are showing rust. Took it to my dealer and he said they were from kicked up stones. I asked him why is it chipping so easy and his reply was "Thats what you get for having painted bumpers". I asked him what could I do and the A-hole said buy Chrome. My question is: Should the bumper be chipping so easy and after I get them repainted, is there anything I can do to protect them.

#3 ·
Sucks but it's true, I have the exact same problem. Guess the chips wouldn't bother me so badly if they didn't rust so fast! I went to the dealer and bought the trim paint (the paint code for that is also on the sticker on the inside of your door) to touch it up. Not sure what to do to protect it after that, but I'm open to suggestions also as I don't want to have to re-paint the bumper just because they don't know how to pave roads here and trucks with trailers aren't smart enough to sweep it down first (and that doesn't count the chips in the windshield :()!

*Edit* Yeah Kurtis, the 3M is starting to sound like a great idea!

- Cajun

G
#4 ·
Yeah, chipping is a problem for painted bumpers. It's the way it is.

You can get it repainted, then get some 3M Clear Bra material applied to it. I have this stuff on my SRT8 front fascia, hood, leading edge of the fenders and other places. It is awesome stuff and has saved the paint!

#6 ·
why will Dodge not warranty this problem? I don't see this issue which Chev or Ford and even the Sport Ram. My Bumper is terrible, however the paint is just fine. Only the bumper has this issue making me think there is something not right with the paint / protection. I bought the very exspensive paint protection. I'm heading down to the dealer today to discuss this with them. i'm sure I'll get the same answer as all of you. I do however believe this is not right and they should stand behind their product.

#8 ·
Its not the paint's fault. Its a very large vertical surface so its going to chip. It doesn't happen on the sport because the bumpers are soft and they absorb the energy instead of reflecting it and chipping the paint in the process. I agree with the 3m film idea it will help. The paint protection purchased at the dealer is nothing more than expensive wax and is a ripoff. I don't care what BS they say. (scratch resistant etc) I see NO difference in the paint from one that has it and one that doesn't. They tell you never to wax it. I do see that people who wax their cars regularly have much nicer paint.

#9 ·
Same Bumper problem on 2009 TRX

I have the same problem on my 2009 TRX, a large number of chips resulting in rust beginning very soon after purchase. There is a very clear difference between td the lower bumper and the section on the grille immediately above the bumper. No damage there. I have never had a vehicle with so much damage in so little time. This is not normal wear and tear, even for the lower section of a front bumper where gravel can certainly cause some damage.

The dealer is basically saying there is no warranty on paint chips. This is more of a defective paint, or lack of proper protection on the paint. Yes, you can purchase aftermarket protection, but that should not be needed. The vehicle should come with reasonable quality protection.

Very unhappy about it.

#10 ·
Yep, it's Very Low and flat so it IS going to happen. I buy film from Xpel and use it all over the place: Headlights, front facing painted surfaces, the tailgate edge, behind the tires on the rockers, etc. I even put a strip on the console where the edge of my BigGulp cup rubs :)

Xpel has many grades and thicknesses to choose from and you can buy bulk roles and cut it yourself to save money or buy the pre-cut kit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.