DODGE RAM FORUM banner

headlights for snowy conditions

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  LeKy411 
#1 ·
hey guys... im from Canada and of course the snow is starting to fall here for winter.. anyway i would like to know which kind of headlight bulbs are good for snowy conditions? Halogens, HID's.... i currently bought some PIAA lights but a friend told me that the bright lights are horrible for snowy driving because you see every single snow flake and he actually pulled over tot he side of the road and ripped his out and put the old ones back in haha.. since it is a pain in the butt to replace the bulbs now.. having to take the grill off and everything.. i would like to know which is best before i take everything apart..

Thanks!!

#2 ·
I don't have a problem with my HIDs in the snow, I run 6000K HIDs, any higher in the temp range and you begin to lose visibility. If you're worried about it, you can run a set of 3000K in your fogs and they're extremely yellow and won't reflect off the snow. I used to run silverstars in my Dakota, and they're comparable to the PIAA bulbs, with no ill effect. A big thing is when you install new bulbs, make sure the assembly is aimed for THAT bulb, I've found that switching from stock, to silverstars, to HIDs, I've needed to re-align each time to prevent blinding other drivers and to keep light on the road.

#3 ·
i love my H.I.D's in all weather congitions and i also have 6000k

#5 ·
They will be whiter than the stock lamps for sure, and they're comparable to the silverstars for brightness, but with a longer service life (I've been told, my silverstars lasted 3 years w/out issue). Honestly, I'd install them, then, if you aren't happy with them after a while, pull them. I can't see any reason not to run them from my own experience.

#7 ·
I have the HIDs as well. I have not had any problems with them ether. They are definitely the best bang for your buck!

#11 ·
haha yea the po po are horrible in ontario lol.. i got pulled over on the way back to calgary last winter... i think it was right outside dryden... was behind a couple semi's and i wanted to pass them so i hammered down and passed them just before reaching the top of the hill... and who do you think was at the top... PO PO's!! haha.. and i tried to explain my situation but no good...

and why do you think i live here in calgary instead of tbay... haha just kidding.. i actually like thunder bay theres just no jobs of course.. but summer life is amazing there.. if you fish you would fall in love with it... great fishing

#12 ·
Yeah, I got the same thing driving on either side of T-Bay. On the west side, it was dark and I'd been driving for 16hrs, so I was just out of it and driving like normal... for Alberta... they frown on 120km/hr. Then 11 hrs later, after I slept in the truck, I get a ticket on the east side in the exact same situation as yours... I was PISSED, and I proceeded to do the speed limit exactly, which made everyone behind me mad too since there's no place to pass on that highway.

At least both officers gave me a break and only charged me with 10 over, not the 30 I was doing, guess they took pity on a university student moving out east.

#13 ·
haha no doubt.. i remember it was pretty windy and the officer was on a motorcycle.. he was giving my shit for driving like that in that wind.. i was thinking to myself... i live in calgary.. this is nothing lol.. i don't know how well that would have went over if i said that though

#14 ·
hids do suck in heavy snow falls like your freind said actually makes it worse it is true. i sell hids in windsor ontario area and get the complaint alot. i had the dealer turn the drl's off (managers a good freind) so when the snow is heavy i just run the fog lights which also have hids and im fine. you can still see pretty good with the headlights on but its like watching the windows 95 screen saver while trying to drive lol

#17 ·
With all the lights from other cars even with good bulbs there is a lot of glare in Chicago with the snow. Did you know tossing on a pair of yellow polarized lens for sun glasses such as Oakley eliminates the glare from the snow. It's actually really nice to have those for winter driving even in the dark. Just a suggestion since I know nothing about bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.