DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What torque converter with rear 4.10 gears

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I know that the RT models are supposed to have a slightly more aggressive torque converter than the standard models, does anyone know how much more aggressive it is, would it be worth it? But first let me explain. I have to drive a bit in the mountain areas surrounding las vegas, and when I have done a torque converter before, it made the vehicle drive really poorly in the hills, or I could down shift and drive at 3000rpms, or more, constantly to keep the transmission from shifting back and forth. I had a 2800 stall before, and it would not drive the vehicle correctly up hills at anything below 3000rpm, it would slip, then down shift and then up shift then down, so on so on.

This was in a corvette. I loved the performance all around with the converter, just bad ass, but I don't want to give up my normal drivability in the mountains either. I am putting 4.10 gears in soon, and wanted to do a converter at the same time. I want improved performance, and know that a 2600 to 3000 stall would be great, but would mess up the drivability for what I am looking for. I know also that I will be giving up a huge increase, but I still want an improvement over stock.

Anyone know the stall speed of the stock RT unit, or about how much it would cost?

#2 ·
RT stall is ~2600 rpm. Stock I think is like ~2000-2200 rpm.

I have a 2800rpm stall in my 4.7L and below half pedal it doesn't really act much different than stock if at all. And the stock converter for the 4.7L is more like ~2200-2400rpm IIRC.

#3 ·
So the RT stall will give better performance and maintain most all drivability? With your 4.7 and 2800 stall have you driven many mountain grades?

Maybe since my last converter was on a Vette, it just slipped more than a truck. But either I went screaming up the mountain side in low gear or I let it just shift up and down continously. In town of course it drove like stock, until you stomped it!

#4 ·
What gearing did the vette have? And what brand converter was it?

I live in FL so no not often in the hills, however I hauled ~1,000-1,500lb from FL to TN then TN to AR then AR to FL (2600 miles in 1 week) last July. The truck had to kick down from 6th to 5th on the steep grades(holding 75mph) but it did that stock too. I have 3.55's and am quad cab. It drove great through the mountains, I didn't feel like it was shifting too much or holding low gears or anything like that. My converter is a billet edge. Like I said even on moderate grades it wouldn't leave 6th gear, so with your hemi and 4.10's you should be fine. But it's all relative...

And IMO if you are buying a converter, go aftermarket. Edge and Circle D seem to be the most popular for the ram 1500s. You'll pay the same price for the RT converter but aftermarket is probably better.

#5 ·
Defiantly get after market, edge or circle d, 2600-2800 in my opinion. same say 2800-3000. Just talk to either of the guys at those 2 places, tell them your mods and expectations. But it's not rocket science, go with either 2 stalls I mention. I recommend the 2600-2800 though.

#7 ·
thanks guys for the info, will go aftermarket especially if the cost is the same, and the circle D converters are super tuff from what I have read

#8 ·
the 4.10's will definitely help the gear hunt issue since your running 3.55's now. and a pretty safe stall in a regular cab is 2800-3000. If you talk to tq verter mfg they may push a higher stall but since you do mountains, it's like equating to towing and I would keep it lower to keep the temps down... I started with a 2600 in my qc and then had it bumped to 2800, now I wished I could have kept it at 2600.

#9 ·
the 4.10's will definitely help the gear hunt issue since your running 3.55's now. and a pretty safe stall in a regular cab is 2800-3000. If you talk to tq verter mfg they may push a higher stall but since you do mountains, it's like equating to towing and I would keep it lower to keep the temps down... I started with a 2600 in my qc and then had it bumped to 2800, now I wished I could have kept it at 2600.
Chefred what made you want the 2600 back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.