DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Scratch removal

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  dodgert 
#1 ·
I went up to the smokey mountains for 5 days and got home today and found a small scratch beside my fuel door. I went through a lot of narrow roads with overhanging branches so I'm sure a stick hit it. Not a huge deal but I'd like to fix it to prevent rust. I have fixed a scratch on my old truck but after close to 2 years that touch up paint had basically all came off some how. Apparently i didn't do something right that time.

My plan:
Get touch-up paint
Wash truck
Rub scratch with rubbing alcohol and dry
Brush on paint and let dry at least 3 coats
Maybe put a layer of wax on final coat???

Last time I attempted this it was freezing cold outside and that probably played a roll as to why it didn't last long. Any other tips?

#4 ·
What I like to do is buy the correct touch up paint from the dealer or use Duplicolor. I also use Dupicolor clear coat. I apply the color coat first and let it sit for about a half hour. Than I buld up the clear coat until it sits slightly higher than the cars finish. Letting it sit for an hour or so between coats depending how big the chip is. Than the following day I wet sand it down with 2000 grit until flush with the cars finish. I like to use a magnifying glass as an extra precaution. Than I buff out with 3M compound. I have a classic Mustang that I drive to shows and shit happens so I learned how to deal with my own touch ups plus I don't trust people touching my stuff especially when I fell I can do a better job. If done correcty it would be very difficult to see the repair. Naturally some colors touch up easier than others. Make sure you prep the surface free of wax and dirt.

#8 ·
I like the look how easy the langka looks but how much is the kit? I didn't see a price and I'd have to buy the paint which isn't to cheap either for the little bit you get.

Just so I have an idea, how much would a body shop charge to fix a 1" scratch? Would they just do a touch up method or would they want to paint the entire panel?

#10 ·
g/l alot of these paint repairs dont work or when done you can still see the area i have black so every chip i get the grey primer jumps right through i have yet to find anything that looks good

And as far as paint shops some will do a touch up but must want to paint whole thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.