DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cold Air Intake

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Revel Performance 
#1 ·
I am considering adding a cold air intake on my 2013 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 liter hemi. What brand would you suggest and what can I expect in increased performance and gas mileage? Thanks.

#2 ·
Done to death....

This is one of the most commonly asked attention routes. There are several threads of this nature with near identical questions asked.

A search will yield countless results, as the forum has a very good [thorough] search function. Spend some time reading thru those threads and your questions will most likely have been addressed.

Good luck and welcome to the boards..

#5 ·
for the 13's there are really 3 main options, Vararam Air Grabber very nice intake old school look decent power gains retail between $344-$369, S&B intake really no better than putting a hi flow replacement filter in the stock air box however they look nice but are still just as restrictive as the factory air box (the factory air box is a nice design and functions very well), and then you have short ram intakes there are many variations the favorite as of late seems to be the LMI, it is made with true carbon fiber so your heat soak is almost nothing compared to a lot of the others, and it is really the only intake (of the 3 above) that increases your air flow velocity which in turn gives you more power/tourque.

With all 3 you will find those who swear by it, my personal experience is this.

Had factory air box switched it out to an AirAid (not going to be doing that ever again)

Went from the AirAid back to the stock box with a hi flow replacement filter (worked better than the AirAid)

From the stock box w/ hi flow filter to the Vararam Air Grabber (worked very nice and looked killer also, not to loud honestly can barely hear it all for me this was a good thing)

If I still had the truck I would put the LMI on it, I had the pleasure of driving a friend of mines truck with the LMI on it (same truck as mine except I had a 8" lift and he has a 2012 hemi, 4x4 quad cab 4" lift on 35's 3.55 gears, DS tuner) and oh boy could you tell that LMI was on there! It was very nice and seemed to pull a good bit better than any of the other configurations that I had.

Hope this info helps! If you find what you are looking for reach out to us we can almost always get you anything you are looking and at the lowest prices around too :)

Thanks
Jeremiah

#9 ·
This is the one I have been recommending to everyone who does not mind an open filter (a filter that is not in a box) it is a true short ram, the carbon fiber is 100% real and hand crafted you can check out all the info here http://bullysperformance.com/lmi-short-ram-cai-09-13-5-7-564.html and here is a pic of one installed.

This unit uses a S&B filter which is a very good filter :), but more importantly it is the design and how it is a short ram intake and utilizes true carbon fiber so heat soak is kept to a minimum :)

If you have any other questions just let me know I will be more than happy to assist you with what I can.

thanks
Jeremiah

#11 ·
There is more to it than just looking at it and making a decision weather or not it is actually better, there are a number of things that can be improved over the factory air box/breather, it is a good overall design but there is a decent amount of room for improvement as well, here is a thread with a lot of very good info starting to pop in (read the entire thread its only like 3 pages and more and more info popping in all the time). With that said are you going to see crazy big gains with a CAI? absolutely not, with some of them you will actually loose performance or stay the same and just gain noise. Some you will gain slightly, and some you will gain a little more. You are not going to bolt on 100HP with a CAI, but it is not unrealistic to see gains of 10-20HP with certain CAI's, it is all about reducing heat soak, improving air flow, and air velocity etc, etc. but anyways here is the thread it is worth the read if you have time :) http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=154975

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.