DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Washing Truck Tricks

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  fewacres 
#1 ·
Spent some time the other day washing and waxing my new Ram for the first time this past weekend. I really had some issues with being able to reach the center of the hood for wash and wax, as well as the top of the truck toward the windshield. I ended up getting in the bed and really stretching to get the roof done, and used a step stool to reach the middle of the hood, even though I was afraid I would slip and either hurt myself or the truck. I'm 6' tall, so I can't be the only guy having this problem. My question is what do you use to wash and wax those tall hard to reach areas? I know someone is gonna say a ladder but I don't feel comfortable climbing on a wet ladder that close to my new truck. I'm afraid it will slip. Anything other than a ladder is welcome advice.:smileup:

#2 ·
I have a quad cab and reach the rear of the roof from the bed. I get the front of the roof(near the windshield) by opening the front doors and standing in the jamb. I have not problem reaching to the center of the hood. I'm 6'4".

#3 ·
I hear ya. It's hard to reach the top, middle hood, and roof.

For the rear of the roof, I climb in the bed of the truck, and get it. At the same time, I'll do the rear window.

For the hood, and windshield and front root, I climb up on the front tire, then reach across. It's kinda unsafe, and slippery.

#4 · (Edited)
Since I am not a center for an NBA team, I have the same height wingspan issue. What I have done is get an extender pole specifically for washing vehicles which holds a microfiber wash pad (secured with velcro). I bought it to wash my travel trailer, but it also works nicely for the truck. For the hood I am on ground level, for the roof I use a ladder s couple steps gets me up high enough to accomplish the job. As some have mentioned prior, standing in the bed will also work to do the roof.

#6 ·
I think if you go to Home depot, Lowes, ETC you should be able to find a 3 step ladder the 3rd step being a platform which is about 4ft long this is stable on most level situations being 67 and 6'2" tall I can reach everywhere conveniently also by resting buckets etc on the platform I don't have bend down to the ground.

#7 ·
Sturdy 2-step metal folding step stool for the hood (I'm only 5'9'') and for the roof, I have a regular cab, so I stand up on the bed top (one foot on the top under the rear window, and one on either side on the plastic cap) Make sure your boots are clean!!

#8 ·
#13 ·
ok i just went to the garage to check mine to see if there is a weight rating on it somewhere, and there is not.

Mine is made by Werner, so not the exact one is linked to above....

ive had no issues with the Werner and me being 300 lbs.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Speaking of brushes, I've heard boars hair brushes are really good for washing and that they do not scratch the finish at all. Anyone have any experience with these. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing one for me and the wife to use on our vehicles. They do seem to be a little pricey (approx $110 with extension handle) just wanted to know if anyone has used one and what there experience was before I shell out that kind of money on a car wash extension brush.

#20 ·
Boar's Head Car Wash Brushes are brilliant!

HERE is the exact model [different vendor] I've been using for almost five years.

I can hit the entire truck, head to toe, without my feet EVER leaving the ground. The only modification I made was I unscrewed the [crappy] rod it came with and purchased a heavy-duty retractable/extension rod from Lowe's paint section.

Highly recommended.

#21 ·
....forgot to add they are worth EVERY penny spent. They, at least mine, have excellent longevity.

Mine, after five years this summer, still looks like the day it was shipped to me. I'll never use anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.