DODGE RAM FORUM banner

E-85

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Huka42 
#1 ·
Does anyone actually run it? I've heard good, but mostly poor things about it. This is my first Flex-Fuel vehicle, so I'm a little green about it.

I've heard that it runs poor, is sluggish, and generally get less MPG's running E-85 vs. a 10-15% blend.

On the positive side, it is cheaper, but if the performance isn't there, then I would not think it would be worth it.

Any real life users want to chime in?

#3 ·
Thanks! I found some threads here about it under "flex fuel". Looks like it is not cost effective in the least. AAA actually has a mpg/dollar conversion on their website, and it was about .25 higher!

I'm all for cleaner burning, but if the gub'ment wants us to take it seriously too they need to make it cheaper!

#4 · (Edited)
I use it I dont know what they are talking about, low power my ass. It gave my truck a swift kick in the nads. That thing is significantly faster on 85% ethanol (its like 150 octane LOL).

Where it does suck, is in MPG. But, I drive 90% city anyway, 2mpg doesnt hurt me much. I would never use it on the highway, but I drive around town using it all the time. Its still under $2.90 a gal on post.

#5 ·
I think I'm going to try a few tanks of it. The closest station is about 10 miles away, I too do mostly city driving.

You've convinced me Army...going to give it a shot! Thanks

#6 ·
Ethanol does have less energy per same unit volume compared to pure gas. So you do get less power and less mpg. It is higher octane but that doesn't give you more power unless the engine is designed for it (much higher compression and timing advance over what they are designed at).

Ethanol also can eat rubber parts, o rings, etc. I'm sure the E85 compliant vehicles have some sort of different material that somewhat prohibits this from happening, but I still wouldn't use it personally.

#7 · (Edited)
All of the O-rings, gaskets, rubber lines and seals in the fuel system of the 4.7L are made with teflon, to include the Injector O-rings. ;) It doesn't somewhat prohibit it, It completely eliminates it :LOL:

#9 ·
I know there's very little reliability from "I know a guy" situations, but here in NE, I work with farmers every day. One farmer I work with only runs E85 in his newer Chevy FlexFuel. He said the first few tanks sucked, but after that he doesn't notice any difference at all. This is traveling mostly gravel roads, but he's got a few kids, so he travels to games a lot in it etc. I trust him completely, he's always doing tests on things, very smart guy. I've been wanting to convert my 05 to E85, but I just can't swing the $500 to do it ya know... I'd say don't even compare your gas mileage until the 4th tank, that way the computer can re-learn it and make it's own changes...

#10 ·
I generally don't run anything less than 93 in my small engines. My Honda Foreman 500 runs like crap on 87! I've heard they make a recreational 93 octane fuel with zero ethanol, but I've yet to see it around my parts.

I also read that e85 doesn't have a long life...meaning it can't sit around for weeks and months.

#13 ·
I just got some yesterday...it is $.90 cheaper per gallon. I've noticed no difference in performance, but the MPG on the EVIC has gone down a few, but it is city driving. For almost a dollar a gallon cheaper, I'm happy with the corn juice!

#15 ·
I thought so too. Another station the opposite direction has it for $3.39..87 octane gas here is $3.85-$3.93. For fifty cents I'd stick with petroleum. But for almost a buck a gallon I'd be silly not to run it.

#16 ·
E-85 here in upstate NY is 3.19/gal where gas is 3.92/gal. I average 14 mpg on the highway with E-85, which comes out to $4.38/mi. I average 17 mpg with gas, which comes out to $4.33/mi. With no major loss of power. So, if gas keeps going up (which it will), E-85 is better on the wallet. I also commented on the 'Do you like you 4.7' poll that the E-85 here in upstate in manufactured in the NY, so it keeps the price down and has a positive effect on the taxes applied to it as well. I have a big problem with the way 'Big Oil' is running this planet, and if I can reduce my intake of petrol and increase my intake of grain crops, well, it just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.