DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1987 Dodge Ram 4x4 Water Pump Replacement

12K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ramvan2500 
#1 ·
Water pump went out on my 1987 Dodge Ram W-150 318 engine.

Any tips on replacing it. I think I know how to do it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
Yea since you know how to do it no problem then some tips and things you will need to know.

When installing it would be best to put some Permatex Hi-Tack gasket sealant on both sides of the water pump body gasket, it helps seal the gasket and it also is very helpful with installation.

Another thing, their is going to be like two or three wet bolts these bolts require thread sealant. I recommend Permatex PTFE Thread Sealant. The wet bolts are the longest bolts.

Torque all bolts to 30 foot lbs

#4 ·
Well I know the newer 318's do have that bypass hose. However I am not sure if the older 318 does. The block hasn't changed but the heating has a little and from carb to fuel injection. But yea it would be wise to replace that hose if their is one. That or just drill 3 small holes in the thermostat.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Replacing the pump was easier than I thought it would be. I went by the tips you guys gave, and very much appreciate the help.

Yes. The 318 I have does have the bypass hose.

NOW for the bad news! We I started the truck it didn't want to run.... more of a lope and wouldn't idle. I do recall it did get pretty hot before I noticed the heat gauge and pulled over. When starting off it would jerk and shake badly, and seemed to have a miss.
I replaced the plugs and wires. No help! Replace the pcv valve. No help! Then I opened the breather and saw it had a milky fluid coming from a brass looking thing with a hose running to the breather on the right valve cover.

I have no clue what the problem could be. Any ideas?

#10 ·
You should have replaced that timing chain cover gasket in addition to the water pump gasket. Coolant flows through the timing chain cover and is seperated from the oil that circulates in the timing chain cover by the timing chain cover gasket. Also I wonder if you put thread sealant on those wet bolts.

#12 ·
Don't confuse time with money, though they are very related I will give you that. A timing chain cover gasket set made my Fel-Pro from Autozone is 9.99 you get the crankshaft seal, timing chain cover gasket, and two water pump gaskets. Not expensive, the gasket set cost less then the thread sealant. But it is true live learn etc but things don't cost money if you know where to spend it etc... But I hope the best for you that everything works out. I already helped one man rebuild part of his engine because of the same thing he was leaking coolant in the oil.

#13 ·
Do you have to drain the engine oil to replace the timing chain cover gasket ? Also my bypass hose is leaking at the tube that enters the water pump. Do I have to drain the coolant, or can I pull the tube out and replace it and put some JB weld around it so it doesn't happen again ? Thanks for all those who reply !!!!!!

#14 ·
I would drain the engine oil and drain the coolant and drain coolant from the block because when you remove the timing chain cover coolant will leave the engine go into the oil pan. Don't JB Weld the heater tube on the water pump just go to autozone or where ever you go and buy another one of these tubes they only cost 10 bucks and have a new o-ring, the new tube and o-ring WILL NOT leak, I did this and it doesn't leak at all and even the one that I removed that was 16 years old didn't leak, my by-pass hose is what leaked, they are prone to leaking, mainly splitting at the bend. JB Weld is for transmission leaks (lol). Timing chain cover and water pump torque 30 ft/lbs. You can get a timing chain cover gasket kit for 9.97 at autozone, it's a felpro kit has the timing chain cover gasket, water pump gasket, and oil seal for the timing chain cover for the crank shaft. I bought one and never used it so I have it in the back of my van until it becomes useful. If you need any help with doing this and need specs for the bolts just ask me I am more then happy to assist you. I do recommend you buy this kit, it's cheap and it has everything, a stitch in time saves nine so you might as well replace the crank shaft seal which is included in the kit. At some point in time it will leak and that will be a pain in the butt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.