DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Coil springs verses leaf springs

34K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a 2011 Hemi crew cab to use for towing a travel trailer. I have some concern about the coil springs verses leaf springs in so much that the coil spring setup would allow for greater trailer sway. It seems that leaf springs can’t move but in only one direction, up and down whereas coils can compress more to one side to the other, hence more potential for sway. Can any one enlighten me? I will be pulling about 8,000 lbs loaded with weight distribution hitch.

Thanks,

Rustymax

#2 ·
Leaf springs have two purposes; 1) To carry the load and 2) To locate the rear axle relative to the frame.

Coil springs have one purpose; To carry the load.

On the newer trucks with the coil spring suspension there are additional links that do the job of locating the axle. The coil suspension will probably perform better than the leaf springs as far as keeping the axle in the correct location. Leaf springs are nice because you sort of kill two birds with one stone; they are simple, cheap, and easy. The coils should perform better, however.

#3 ·
If you're worried about it, you can also run air bags. My local dealership will install rear bags for $500. They're manual so you'd have to pump them up when you're ready to tow, or you can run onboard air as well but thats going to cost a LOT more when you have somebody install it.

#6 ·
Aha. I'm not all that versed on trailer towing as I don't really tow much other than a pop-up trailer and once in awhile a car trailer to the race track but thats in town. Heck, I haven't even towed with this truck at all so we'll have to see how it goes. So far I don't have a hitch installed as I only have about 800 miles on it so far. I could use the bumper, but I'd really rather have a true hitch.

G
#5 ·
A load distribution hitch, along with the anti-sway feature, would be recommended.

The air bags will help if the tongue weight is high enough to really compress the springs down and you are driving in an extreme nose up position.

#7 ·
Yeah I don't trust bumpers for towing unless it's light duty (like a lawn equipment trailer). I agree airbags would be a huge benefit to him if he plans on towing 8,000lb, but in regards to his actually question about sway with coil springs it isn't really an issue...at least not any more than with leafs...

#8 ·
Hey Rusty, I tow a 26' travel trailer with my 2010 Crew Sport(coils) with absolutely no issues. Make sure you use the sway bar tho, it does help. Even if you have a truck with leaf springs, use a sway bar. Hemi doesn't even break a sweat going uphill at 65mph...

#9 ·
Wow! Such good relies for my first post. I am trying to purchase a travel trailer that has an empty weight of 7,000lbs. I guestimate that the average trailer gets an additional 1,000 lbs of “Stuff” when loaded for camping (people, bikes, food, gear, etc.) bringing the tow load to 8,000 lbs. When I told the RV dealer that we were considering the RAM ½ ton Hemi with tow package he suggest other ½ trucks with leaf springs or moving up to the Ram 2500. In fact the dealer said when towing this weight,going up steeper grades, the truck would lose lots of speed and it would be "very slow going". I was already considering adding the air bags to compensate for the higher tongue weight of a trailer. The dealer almost had be talked out of the ½ ton, glad to hear the coil spring aren’t that big of an issue, we really like the 2011 RAM hemi.

Rustymax

#10 ·
Wow! Such good relies for my first post. I am trying to purchase a travel trailer that has an empty weight of 7,000lbs. I guestimate that the average trailer gets an additional 1,000 lbs of “Stuff” when loaded for camping (people, bikes, food, gear, etc.) bringing the tow load to 8,000 lbs. When I told the RV dealer that we were considering the RAM ½ ton Hemi with tow package he suggest other ½ trucks with leaf springs or moving up to the Ram 2500. In fact the dealer said when towing this weight,going up steeper grades, the truck would lose lots of speed and it would be "very slow going". I was already considering adding the air bags to compensate for the higher tongue weight of a trailer. The dealer almost had be talked out of the ½ ton, glad to hear the coil spring aren’t that big of an issue, we really like the 2011 RAM hemi.
They switched to coil springs mainly for comfort and handling, but there is no sacrifice in towing capacity or stability. If you look at the rear suspension, it is VERY beefy, it is essentially a 4 link with a panhard bar, it will keep the suspension located better than a leaf spring. As far as the load carrying capacity, some think coils aren't capable of as much as leafs, but dodge appears to keep up with(actually surpasses) the other trucks as far as payload and towing capacity(my payload is over 1600 lb, that's ALOT for a half ton), and the hemi is definitely one of the stronger motors out there, it won't struggle.... A Ram 1500 with the hemi and coil rear suspension would be great for your application, don't let hard headed stubborn people convince you to get an inferior product :)

#12 ·
There are more components to the rear end the just your coil springs. You have a sway bar that that stops the axle from walking left to right. I'm gonna have to go down and look at my dads truck, do they have a 4 link in the back like 2500s do in the front?
The ram 1500 stock rear suspension uses a 4 link, AND a panhard bar, that's why I say it will located better than the leaf setup. Not much else out there will keep the axle in place better than a panhard (although there is slight movement through travel, but it is under control). I don't know how much a sway bar helps with axle movement but definitely helps sway control, and would be beneficial when towing.

Here's a link to a picture of the rear suspension:
http://trucks.about.com/od/2007dodgetrucks/ig/2009-Dodge-Ram-1500-Truck/09-Dodge-Ram-Coil-Suspension.htm

#16 ·
lol, I wonder who that guy works for.....

First of all the ram coil springs ARE progressive rate springs. Also, if they would have showed the same exact "test" in the ford that they did with the ram with a massive load and swerving all over the road, the ford would have done the exact same thing, probably even worse actually (as the leaf spring suspension will not handle as well). It is purely false that coil springs can't handle a heavy load. As any of the guys on here that tow with their trucks, they will tell you from experience. I also know that my father in law with his F150 towed a 8,000 lb pull behind up to Arkansas and he said shortly after leaving he had to crank the sway control bar on the hitch ALL THE WAY down to get it to feel stable. Shouldn't have to max it out....the ram would do a better job if you really look at the geometry of the suspension it's clear as day.

#17 ·
Oh and the coil setup certainly isn't a cheap cost cutting thing that they tried to turn into a gimic. This rear suspension definitely costs more to manufacture (more components) and certainly to research and develop...

#19 ·
:shy::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:Snusnak your youtube explanation was just the thing I needed to see. The diagram of the rear wheel suspension removed any doubt I had for the coil spring setup. I now have no concerns and can confidently pursue the purchase of a RAM Hemi crew cab.

Thanks for the help.

Rustymax

#20 ·
LOL just to be clear that was not actually me in the video...just the first one I found when a searched youtube. You'll enjoy your ram :)

My father in law bought his F150 about 3 months ago, and was comparing it to the hemi ram, and he said he chose the ford because he thought that the ram being faster meant it'd use more fuel. He told me this past sunday that he really regrets his decision as he gets about 12-13 mpg average with his truck, and it does not pull his trailer as well as he'd like(5.4L motor is weak). I tried to tell him that most hemi owners get much better than 12-13mpg but he didn't want to listen :).

#21 ·
Snrusnak,

Great feedback...I also thought the RAM Hemi had decent gas mileage for a truck of this size. I just notice my earlier response... opps, I was playing with the emotions, didn't mean to attach them. Do have any knowledge of the 2500? If we go with a larger camper (5th wheel) this would be our vehicle of choice. Especially with the extra torque rating of 800 ft lbs.

Just call me Fat Fingers - Rustymax

#23 ·
The 5.4 ford is a gas guzzler pretty much, my brother has a brand new f150 with the 5.0 and he's getting 15-17
2500 have leafs in the back still. It still depends on what your 5th wheel weighs, if it's over 8000 lbs the 2500 might be a better idea, of course if your only going to pull the camper twice a year then stick with a 1500 and a camper it can handle

#24 ·
I agree with that ^^. Depending on the weight you'll be pulling and how often, the 1500 HEMI can easily handle it, just get the right gearing (3.92 I think is the highest you can get). I believe the HEMI has a max tow rating over 10,000lb on the Ram 1500 with 3.92 gearing. I agree over 8,000lb towed often would be wise stepping up to the Ram 2500.

My father in law said he'd never tow his 8,000lb trailer with his ford again, he said it felt out of control the whole way to arkansas, and he does have the trailer brake controller as well. The ford 5.4L I think only has like 300 hp and 340ft lb? My 4.7L has that.

#25 ·
most trailer sales people will NOT put a fifth wheel hitch in a 1500 & Dodge will not do it
the basic Hemi engine long block is the same in all the truck series, even right down to the threaded bolt on places. if you take off the MDS system & block off those ports, add the bolt ons from a 2500, 3500, etc. all are the same.
the transmission in the 1500 is for light duty towing, as is the torque converter.

the 2012 engine will be the same, the transmission & torque converter will be the same as what has been in the 2500s for the past year or 2.

either in 2012 or 2013, the Rams will be getting an air suspension system, it is part of their 5 year plan

possibly this year you will start seeing less Corporate rear ends & more ZF rear ends, like in the bigger Jeeps
2013 will also bring a ZF 8 speed automatic transmission, built especially for Chrysler products, Chrysler is retooling 2 plants in Kokomo already & ZF is building a plant in South Carolina, they are used in BMW, AUDI, & several other better brands. Ford is in talks with them too

#27 ·
They added an air suspension option, but the coil setup is the same from 2009-2018.

I have a 2013 and my dad has a 2009 FWIW

#28 ·
I doubt towing with leaf or coil makes much difference if the spring rate is equal. The rear suspension on the RAM coil sprung trucks is very stable so you shouldn't worry about sway.
After towing a 8,200 lb trailer with both the 1500 and 2500 I can say the 2500 is more stable as it is just heavier and the trailer has a harder time pushing it around.
And I am a strong believer in the Andersen WDH. I towed for a number of years with a standard weight bar and chains hitch with dual Kurt sway controls. Lots of stuff to hook up. The Andersen hitch hooks up real simple, is very lightweight, uses no grease so no mess, and the WD and sway quality is way better than the old hitch. Actually no comparison. Very smooth with very little to none of that bouncing it would get over RR tracks and dips. Hooking up is a painless operation and no more grease on hands and pants and no blown lumbar discs removing the hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.