DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Spare tire stolen?

6K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  rclipic 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was working on my truck today and noticed that I don't have a spare tire! I've had the truck about 5 weeks, and sure, someone could have stolen the spare in that time. I'm hoping someone could tell from this picture if it looks tampered with? I would think that if someone had stolen the tire they wouldn't take the time to wind the harness back up. It seems hard to believe it would have come from the dealer this way but who knows?

Sorry for the grainy picture.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just know you're joking....right.....right? No? well, that's just low-down and dirty right there...at least the theives could have put a post it note on your windshield notifying you about your tire donation...that way you coulda replaced it. Good thing you weren't on the side of the interstate with a blowout when you found out. That just sucks ass.

Oh, and btw, I don't see a pic...might just be my puter though.

#3 ·
yeh im with ya on that one!did u see it when u bought the truck or is this your first visit under there?dont see any thieves putting it back neatly like that.maybe the quick lube place where you change the oil.or if you live near roswell coul be aliens needing a spare,definitely give mystery inc a call ;)

#7 ·
Can you see any signs in the brackets paint to suggest a tire was ever there?

#11 ·
We use to take them off at the dealer since there were so many taken off the lot. Check with your dealer, they might have the same practice. :doh:Sucks!

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I didn't notice any scuffed paint from the tire being there in the first place but I also didn't look too closely. I was more shocked to see it missing plus it was starting to get dark. I'll get a better look in the morning and be calling my dealer.

#13 ·
if someone stole it, they would NEVER wind the cable back up
snatch & grab in hurry
dealer or factory just forgot to put it on

#15 ·
HMMMM Im in need of a new spare and you guys just gave me an idea...Those suckers are expensive especially if they are 20's...Thanx guys for your help..:LOL:

#16 ·
I forgot who said it, but as "they" said, contact the dealer....they might have taken it off for security reasons, or (I doubt this one, but..) maybe it came from factory like that??? Either way, they might help you out with finding another, or supplying you with one at no cost to you.

#18 ·
Yea it doesn't look like there ever was one there.
A little off topic, the local Ford dealer in my town had 16 sets of wheels removed off their trucks and suvs one weekend. It happened on either a Saturday or Sunday evening and wasn't discovered till Monday morning.
The thieves came in with wooden blocks to set the trucks down on the rotors, the dealership is on a major highway that runs thru town nobody saw anything. Seen a story on Houston TV station reported there was organized group that hit several dealerships.
Evidently there's a market for high end Ford factory wheels.

#21 ·
This is exactly what I was thinking. This is our second vehicle purchase from this particular dealership and I have to say, it's one of the best dealer experiences I've had. Friendly sales people and service techs, plus they don't hound you when you walk in to browse the showroom. There is a dealer about 3 min from my house where we bought our Caliber and they are just awful. We try to avoid them at all costs.

#22 ·
I agree, glad it was something like that and the dealership is making it right not some low down scoundrel stealing it.

- Cajun

#24 ·
it did happen to me once on my '05.

About a year ago. I was loading some gear in the back, and for whatever reason, while approaching I thought something looked odd.

Sure enough, I look underneath and the spare tire was gone. They unwound the system just enough, and used bolt cutter or some type of heavy duty cutter and clipped the braided cable :mad:

Had to get a new system and wheel/tire.

Now it's locked, to at least slow the criminals down.

#29 ·
Happened to me once a couple of years ago. I climbed underneath the truck to check the air pressure in the spare and noticed it was gone. And sure enough, they DID take the time to crank the cable back up. Unfortunately I didn't have the same scenario where the dealer forgot to put it on because the truck was five years old and I had used the tire before and checked the air pressure. Fortunately for me the insurance company covered it 100%, no deductible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.