DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rust Spots & Painted over Dirt??? Covered Under Warranty????

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Mac hemi 
#1 ·
Well, I figured these spots would fade away or wash away after a few washed... but im wrong

I have probably a good 1/2 dozen of these tiny little brownish rusty looking spots all over my rear bumper. Also on my tailgate i have a section maybe 1" tall by 2" long, looks like dirt was painted over??

Would this be covered under warranty? Or am I just screwed?
I don't want to make a big deal about this but a 50 grand truck with less than 3000km on it, Im pretty pissed...

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks and I'd be ticked, too. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I believe you have a 5 yr warranty on paint and you can always check the back of your owner's manual to verify factory warranty info, what's covered and for how long, but I would definitely take it in and have them repaint it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

- Cajun

#3 ·
Its hard to be certain without seeing your truck in person but I think you'll find the rust you are seeing is rail dust or brake particles. Basicly its metal particles that have sat on top of the paint creating rust stains. Usually you can just polish them off with compound or a clay bar. Its very common these days. especially on a white vehicle. The other stuff is pretty typical on these trucks. Make them fix it.

#4 ·
Ive scrubbed the hell out of my rear bumper and those spots aint moving.

I have a feeling its undercoating, and when they sprayed my paint protector it trapped some of the oil underneath....

Im getting on the phone tomorrow to see whats going on.

#5 ·
You cant scrub them off. You need either the shearing action of clay or the abrasive in compound. The other stuff can't be undercoating. Paint protection is basically expensive wax its not a real coating like clear coat. I manage a body shop I see this stuff every day.

#7 ·
I had very similar issues when I bought my 2004 HEMI the end of 2003. It was to the point where the paint was actually raised from the dirt, or whatever it was lurking underneath.

DC(Daimler Chrylser at the time) refused to do anything about it on a 2 week old truck. After lots of complaining they finally only agreed to have the dealer take the truck to a body shop and have them wet sand it out and repaint the spots, of which there was like 2 dozen. I took my rental and followed the dealer dude in my truck to the shop, which was dirtier than the parking lot outside. The dude inside was lookin like he just got done multiple bong hits and even admitted he had no idea how he was gonna get the spots out, because sanding wasn't gonna help and things wouldn't match well. So I snatched up my truck and got it out of there quick.

So after all this I bitched more, and the service manager said I could take it to the shop of my choice and get the truck fully sanded and re painted. I did just that and they used glasurit paint and clearcoat. Up until I got rid of it just last week it always looked like it had a coat of wax on it, she will be missed.

Point of the long story is, DC still never paid the dealer for the paint job as the service manager shot from the hip hoping to have DC foot the bill, which they should have. He did the absolute right thing, and got fired about 6 months later for this, and actually taking care of other customers with other issues. So good luck with the new Chrysler, your gonna need it..:LOL:

#8 ·
you factory warranties are in your owners manual
i believe CajunDodge is correct 5 year on paint
3 year/36000 miles on most things
there is also a corrosion warranty
also a smog warranty

#10 ·
Other guy is right about the rust looking spots, I get them on my grille shell too, which is plastic... I get them on my truck randomly. I wash my truck weekly and new ones are always appearing. Believe it or not, I find goo gone works best for the stuff I can't get off washing. It also gets off all those little black tar specs that won't wash off too. I couldn't tell you if it is harmful to the paint or not, but it does take off the debris stuff. Just another one of the joys of owning a white truck ;). As far as the stuff on there that looks like a bad case of acne... I'd be all over the dealer for that. That looks terrible.

#13 ·
As has been said before, claybar... brings them right off (sometimes you have to rub a little harder, just use lots of detail spray). I have a white truck and I freaked when I first noticed them, then I started seeing them on plastic parts so I figured it was something on the paint.

#15 ·
I have a white truck(2011 and under 10k miles) and notice the same spots as you, all over the truck! can only see em when I get close, like when washing the the truck. They dont rub off! I am going to try clay bar.

But like you I think it looks like the rust is under the clear coat, cuz I can't even feel anything rubbing my finger or nail over the spots.
I have also began to notice a lot of other paint "mistakes"...
Let me know how it goes with the Dealer, I going to bring mine in in the next week or two as well

#19 ·
Trust me, it'll come off if you use a good clay bar kit. I've found a number of spots that look like they're under the clearcoat but they come off with the clay.

I personally use nothing but Griots products, have been for years. You can order them online. Their clay bar and detail spray can't be beat!

#16 ·
This is common, especially on white vehicles. It means your truck needs clayed. All that is is a paint contaminant. I am (was before the military anyway) a Professional Detailer. Its extremely common on lighter colored vehicles, even when new. Clay, or an abrasive compund will take it off. Claybar will work best without any damage to the paint. Save yourself the hassle, pay the $20 at autozone for a mother's california gold claybar kit, and spend a day doing a wash/clay/polish/glaze/wax/seal on your truck. You will be glad you did.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE DEALER WILL DO NOTHING (EXCEPT MAYBE POLISH AND BUFF) AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPAINT YOUR TRUCK.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, the clay bar worked 50%

It did take off the minor so called "stains" but other than that those large rust spot looking dots are still hard in place. Ill try again tomorrow but the clay bar does an awesome job with the smaller stains.
Thanks guys for letting me know about this! Definitely a weekly/monthly routine I think. Wash clay & wax

Went to the dealer they said the tailgate and door will be repainted no problem at all! So happy about that just need to wait till I get home to take it in. Get them to get crysler to approve it and should be good to go.

The bumper, Im going to try and get them to repaint that too... hopefully

#21 ·
Good to hear! :smileup: One thing I'll say about using the claybar, some spots you have to keep nice and wet with the detail spray and rub pretty good. I bought a clay pad that works incredibly well, takes all the elbow grease out of it (I use it on my orbital but it comes with a hand pad too). http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...=basic&keyword=clay&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

You might want to buy one, IMO it's well worth the money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.