DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Stock '98 Ram Stereo questions

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Elmo 
#1 ·
Hi all, new member here, just posted about my truck in the Checkin section. New truck to me, just got a week ago.

Have a radio question first. My truck is a '98 Laramie Quad Cab with the Cd and Cassette stereo and the the small tweeters in the A-pillars by the windshield.

Have two issues and some questions. The AM works, CD and Cassette work, but FM frequency does not work. If you scan it acts like the antenna is not hooked up. No static on an FM station...no sound at all....?

I like the stock radio and would like to retain it.

Also, the previous owner put a new headliner in the truck, and in taking off the driver's side A-pillar trim he broke the clips and also tore the tweeter and ruined it, so I need a new grey plastic A-pillar piece with a tweeter in it. Will put that in the Wanted section as well, but thought I'd ask here too.

The other issue is the speaker in the drivers door panel does not work. All the others work fine and sound good. I'm wondering if the broken A-pillar tweeter is tied to that door speaker, and since it's not there, that's keeping the door speaker from working. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldent think that should keep speaker from working. As far as fm band make sure ant is grounded but sence there is no static. Even though I think thouse units have a type of auto mute when scaning that part of stereo might be out.

#5 ·
The radio has multiple applications ranging from the 96/97 Dodge Caravan through the Durangos, Jeeps, FS vans, etc... so they should be relatively easy to find. Also, Do you have the Infinity sound system?
The radio does not say Infinity but the broken A-pillar tweeter does.

Does that make a difference? Can I not use a standard radio if mine is broken?

#6 ·
The Infinity has a factory installed amplifier. Yes you can use a different head unit but the power wire to the amplifier will have to be compensated for...otherwise you'll hook everything up and bump your head against the truck because there won't be any sound. Just check to see if you have 2-7 pin connectors on the head unit (black/grey).

If I remember correctly the head unit should say Infinity on it also, and that may be the problem, but I'm not sure.

#7 ·
I'm told each front speaker has an amp tied to it...ouch. Planning to hit the salvage yards and try to find a replacement speaker, tweeter, and radio. I like the stock look of the system and despite the fact that the door and one tweeter are not working, it sounds good right now. Gotta have FM and all the speakers working though.

Need to pull the stereo and get the numbers off it. Lots of these on Ebay too. Need to match the numbers up.

What fun.

-Mike

#8 ·
just replace the system with some quality stuff. the stock stuff is crap.
just get a replacement stereo and a wire harness adapter. wire the stereo harness to the wiring harness adapter and its just plug and play. its so easy to do. mine looks so sweet.

on my 99 ram the speakers werent bad. the radio was. keeping it will just mean you might have to replace it later. you should pop off the door panel to make sure that you have 6x9s in there. it might be different. you have circular holes in your door. mine werent circles and i was surprised when i pulled the door panel off.

i just went to some website and plugged in my vehicle info and they listed everything i needed to put in the sony stereo. it works wonderfully. i wish i had a newer picture though, cause it is now completely blue on the inside. gauges and all.

#9 ·
I removed my stock radio from my 96, it worked don't know if cassette does or not, pay shipping I'll send it to you.
Check wires at door opening they bend and can break or pinched, especially if not dealt with when who ever worked on the tweeter.
Plug on back of radio is a sensitive spot for a antenna. Might check it. My 98 had same problem and it was the factory plastic plug at back of radio.

#10 ·
Front driver side door panel speaker and both tweeters don't work

I know this is an old post but I have the same problem. I changed out the radio to fix a loss of FM but it did not also correct the speaker problem. The radio is the basic 7 98 99 00 01 02 DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH JEEP OEM CD CASSETTE PLAYER P047043830. It has a black, grey, and white plugs plus the antenna and a ground.

Are the A frame tweeters linked to the larger door speakers? I am guessing not because neither tweeter works but the passenger side speaker does. All rear speakers work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.