DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

#402 ·
i read this a while back and decided to opt for a CAI... i wanted a volant but $$ prevented me to buy new...

I bought this BBK CAI used for a good price.

Im definitely happy i got it. Mind you I only got 1/4 tank through it... Im already 30KM's above what I normally get at that point in my km's. my in dash MPG shows a 2mpg gain. Mind you this is also with me getting on it once in a while s

Throt response is noticeably better... easier acel without the need to make the truck downshift. and it maintains its speed a lot easier going up big long steep hills.

#406 ·
i read this a while back and decided to opt for a CAI... i wanted a volant but $$ prevented me to buy new...
Be happy you never got the Volant...I had it on my Ram and actually did not like it much. I noticed about a 1/2 MPG gain, but felt like I lost a bit of low end power for some reason. I sold it after about a year and a half and went back to stock....never missed it. I later got the Mopar CAI....and it was a total waste of $$$$.....and I even lost 1 MPG with it!

#404 ·
Has anyone ran one of these? Not trying to take the cheap route out, but I had one on my 05 4.7 and it seems to actually pull COLD AIR in and uses a K&N filter? Any thoughts or input??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2...ruck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_5152wt_1111
I had bought one of these chrome tube with a K&N filter cold air intakes for my 98 Dakota with a 5.2L. It sounded better, better pick up on the throttle, and I was happy with it. Then I got my Ram and have been doing a lot of research before doing any mods. Your engine compartment will get dirty, thats just the way it is, and just think of how quickly your filters gonna get. Not only that but most likely a lot quicker than it should, with the one I had it would get absolutely caked in dirt. With this truck, I'm going to go with a sealed unit. Was gonna go with a Vararam Hemi Under glass kit but after reading the issues that others have had with poor product quality, fit up issues and what not I think I'm gonna go with an S&B CAI.

#405 ·
I have used a lot of CAI's on many vehicles in my time. I just wrote a review on the new S&B kit I installed on my 3G Ram about 4 weeks ago....I will not post everything I wrote again here, but I am VERY impressed with it and very happy. Out of all the CAI's I have had, I think someone finally got it right...at least for the Ram.

#409 ·
TIMES A BIG FAT 2!!! The mod I'm happiest with to date! Very well putt together with excellent gains in throttle response, low end power and MPGs. I would definitely suggest this :smiley_thumbs_up:to anybody!!

#408 ·
This might be a stupid question but what if your hood has a hood scoop that faces to where the air is pushed in and keeps the air circulating under the hood then wouldn't you not want to have an enclosed but completely open so it can breathe in all the air?

#410 ·
Had that with the Volant and the Mopar setup....I would agree with you that it "should" be better, but I believe that depends on the CAI more than the scoop from the hood as I have the SRT hood on my Daytona Ram. Directing all the air you can to the CAI is certainly best, but the Mopar CAI was horrid and caused lots of loss on low end (definitely could feel that loss) and then had the EGR ticking noise (sounds like a bad lifter)....and that was the factory CAI!!! I also had the hood piece from Mopar....that part I liked, just no need for it with the S&B so I removed it from my hood when I installed the S&B.

#418 ·
^ I've read of some fitment issues with Volant, some interior rattles/resonating with S&B. I personally do not like S&B's filters. Take your choice. Both have their pluses and minuses. Honestly, I'd pick the cheapest.

Where are you finding those prices? They are good.
Local resellers.

The S&B is now at $240 ..........

SO there $15 isn't much.

I just prefer to have the better of the two, overall.
I do like the filter from Volant more. The S&B seems to be a typical filter.

I've always heard good things about Volant, but seems like fitment would be one of the worst problems to have.

#420 ·
WELL LET ME TELL YALL SOMETHING. IAM CURRENTLY RUNNING S&Bs NEW COLD AIR INTAKE. FEETS 4.7S WITH NEW COUPLER. ITS REALLY FOR THE 5.7s. 03-08. IF YOU DIDNT KNOW ITS A TOP QUALITY PRODUCT. THEY ALSO HAVE AN OPTINAL SCOOP FOR IT FOR EVEN BETTER PERFORMANCE. WELL LATELY I BEEN KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH THEM TO BETTER THEIR OPTIONAL SCOOP.

Well scoop arrived today. i have to say its top quality like always. iam super impressed with this new scoop. just installed it, WOW!. this thing sucks, in a good way lol. so much air now that iam lean. goin to add more fuel now. needs just a little more R&D for fitment, but will report to S&B. notice my IAT drop real quick as soon as i started to accelerate. notice a better super response, better part throttle. oh let me tell you, WOT is a whole lot better. i can feel my truck pull a whole lot better.

I WILL CONTACT S&B AND ASK TO SEE IF ITS OK TO POST PIC OF NEW REDESIGN SCOOP. FOR RIGHT NOW ITS C-14 CLASSIFIED

#424 ·
But for S&B, their dry filters are disposable -- not cleanable/reusable. If they'd come up with a decent, dry performance filter, I'd be all over it (think aFe Pro Dr S, Airaid Synthamax, etc.). Who wants a $50 disposable filter? After using dry performance filters for 4 years, I also do not wish to go back to oiled gauze.

#425 ·
As closed off as the S&B is, I doubt you would need to replace it often I still prefer oiled filters for one big reason, they repel water. I know they don't 100% stop water but they do offer a good bit of protection.

#432 ·
Just wanted to add that I just bought the Volant for my 08 Ram 1500 Hemi. I chose that because it was enclosed and because it has a dry filter option that you never really have to clean. What's notable, however, is I noticed upon installing it that the Volant filter box is engineered to fit identically onto the brackets that your OEM filter box fit onto, so it literally drops right in and fits perfectly, including the fit/distance of the tube running to the throttle body. Literally took me 10 mins to install, as compared with my buddy's K&N, which we had to rig around because it was in the way of hoses and such. Also wanted to note that the materials and construction appeared VERY well made. I'm happy I spent the extra few bucks on this CAI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.