DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

#74 ·
it's a mistake to base it on dynos unless they were all done on the same dyno on the same day...mfg's will always skew the numbers to make their's look great...

#76 ·
AEM Brute Force +8hp No dyno

AFE Stage 2 +18HP +23TQ
http://afepower.com/catalog/51-11632/NPA.pdf

Airaid site is slow on my work computer :)

APM Automotive Functional RamAir hoods/airbox No dyno but awesome looking!
http://apmautomotive.com/docs/APM%20Dodge-Chrysler%20Hoods.pdf

K & N 63 Series +15.6HP +17.5TQ
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-1561_dyno.pdf

K & N 77 Series +10.3HP +12.4TQ
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/77-1561_dyno.pdf

Volant Basic Kit Expect 16HP gain No dyno

All these are for 2009-up Hemi Rams!

#77 · (Edited)
AEM Brute Force +8hp No dyno

K & N 63 Series +15.6HP +17.5TQ
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-1561_dyno.pdf

K & N 77 Series +10.3HP +12.4TQ
[URL]http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/77-1561_dyno.pdf [/URL]
Im not trying to kill your research but I noticed something strange....

Look at both of the stock dynos for both the KN63 and the KN77, then look at the stock HP on both.....something is not adding up

KN63-Run Title: Stock 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Run Notes: Baseline stock run. 2nd gear run. 8902 miles.
Run Date: 1/6/2010 7:58:56 AM
Stock.001: 63.26 °F 29.15 in-Hg Humidity: 18 % SAE: 0.99

KN77-Run Title: Stock 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Run Notes: Baseline stock run. 2nd gear run. 8902 miles.
Run Date: 1/6/2010 7:58:56 AM
Stock.001: 63.26 °F 29.15 in-Hg Humidity: 18 % SAE: 0.99

Now if you'll check out the stock HP for the KN63 which is 295.32 and the KN77 is only 283.24. :thk: The only answer I can come up with is either K&N got lazy and just dyno one truck and fudged the numbers on the KN77 dyno runs so their product would look better or... they were able to have two different trucks with the exact same mileage run on two different dynos at the exact same time, but unfortunately there's a Hemi out there that has 12 less HP then the others when in stock form or maybe there is a unique Hemi that has 12HP more then the rest when in stock form.... Hope I got the 12 plus HP Hemi...:hah:

#81 ·
Has anyone heard of the Injen Power flow it looks like it has an amsoil connection

#85 ·
That is the vararam, performance is good, build quality is bad.

#86 ·
I just ordered the airaid system got it on sale with a cleaning kit 346.00 delivered free frt.

#87 ·
yes tim the k&n cai does fit flush up to the hood

to keep out the hot air.

Reactions: 916Timmy
#90 ·
Does the CAI make much of a difference to justify the high cost (cost being relative)?
Have they really improved in performance over the last few years vs when the 3rd gen first came out? Mine is a eye sore so i would love to upgrade one day to BFI or Ram hammer which i may end up getting used but sure would be nice to have a new one.

Just the prices going for new is quite high which again is relative as it may not be for others but i cant really talk as i spent my fare share of $$ on my truck.

I'm just blabbering here with no rhyme or reason.

#91 ·
Does the CAI make much of a difference to justify the high cost (cost being relative)?
Have they really improved in performance over the last few years vs when the 3rd gen first came out? Mine is a eye sore so i would love to upgrade one day to BFI or Ram hammer which i may end up getting used but sure would be nice to have a new one.

Just the prices going for new is quite high which again is relative as it may not be for others but i cant really talk as i spent my fare share of $$ on my truck.

I'm just blabbering here with no rhyme or reason.
They do a good job of giving you good power for the money, and help the other mods (exhaust side) work better! More air + more fuel + more air out = most power!

#100 ·
A lot of people try to 'make the right choice' on a CAI,,,

I've seen the same amount of 'nail biting' regarding intake choice on the MC boards,,,,

Too much thought (and worry) is placed upon the purchase of 'the right' CAI.

Truth is, there is no "Holy Grail" of intakes that will guarantee your truck to be 'superior' in all ways.

Fitration, appearance, your particular application, 'performance',,,, Personal preference's will differ.

To me, it's not THAT critical of a choice,,,

If you decide to get one, you'll have to decide what's important to you and choose accordingly.

#103 ·
:smileup: I love my BFI! It performs awesome!

#107 ·
The bottom hole is for Volant's ram-air tube which goes out to the grille. No reason not to block it since it also gets air from the stock location in the fender.

#108 ·
Yeah, but Volant doesn't offer a tube for the 4th Gens,,, only the 3rds,,,

Perhaps maybe they will some day in the future, but nada for now.

Also, using the tube on a 3rd gen meant giving up one of your fog lights,,,

No big deal if ya like 'fogging' with one eye!!! ARRRRRRRRRRGG!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!

#116 ·
I'm so confused here..... I just purchased an 11 R/T and one of the upgrades I was going to do was install a new CAI but I keep reading now that the new trucks such as mine really don't benefit from one? Is this so? If so then would changing out the stock filter to one of a better flow help any and if so just which filter do I need to look for?

#125 ·
Marylandspeed.com is selling it on EBay for 329 with free shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.