DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Who makes the Best???

Torque Converter Poll

10K views 69 replies 18 participants last post by  916Timmy 
#1 ·
Who makes the best Hemi torque converter for some street / strip action?????

#2 ·
I run a circle d and it is a nice converter

#5 ·
I also prefer Edge. On my 03 I ran an 11" 2800, 3200, and a 9.5" 3600 stall. I was very happy with each one of them. There are a good number of guys running all of the brands mentioned, but the majority of the quickest and the most consistant trucks I know of are running Edge.

#6 ·
Hmmm, all these votes for Edge make me think I should try them for my next converter.

#8 ·
If you tow, then go with a 2600. If you dont tow, then I would go with a 2800 stall. Only reason for that is because you are planning on nitrous. Your stall speed goes up with tq, so what is a 2800 stall N/A is going to be roughly a 3000-3200 stall depending on what size nitrous shot you decide to run.

#11 ·
I have a 3000 and wish I had gone with a little lower stall.

#12 ·
I have a circle D 3200 in my Trans Am and has been great for over a year and gets beaten up. My friend has a 3800 in his C5 with a 421ci stroker. Was thinking about using one in my truck after a little motor work.

#13 ·
I run a circle D 3000 in my ram. No complaints so far...

#19 ·
I've had my Circle D 258mm Pro II 3000 stall for a little over 3 months and even with last months 100+ degree heat wave I only saw temps as high as 157-159. Normally with mid to low 90 degree weather I'm anywhere from 140-150 degrees on my tranny temp.

I'm giving it till about Mid to the end of August for something to break with tuning, if not I'm just gonna do the swap as well....I've had my V6 fan sitting in my formal dining room for over a month now, just don't got the balls to do it in this weather/without tuning.

#21 ·
When I got mine it was $850 I guess Chris increased his price....I actually went to visit Circle D and Chris gave me a tour of the place. He was showing me the internal parts used a stock converter vs the upgraded parts used in the HP-II $500 dollar one. Without a doubt the $500 is much better than the oem stock converter. Then Chris started showing me the custom made Pro Series converter vs the HP II (standard oem converter with upgraded internals with billet cover) and I knew without a doubt it was far superior.

Horsepower wise he said the HP II probably wasn't the right one to go with if your going to do cams/heads and or a supercharger/turbo set-up. If you have no intentions on doing any serious mods like that the HP II is plenty sufficient enough for you needs.....that's what made me lean towards the pro series, tuning is really the only thing holding me back at this point. I also asked him how much HP can I throw at the converter and he said my tranny would break before the converter goes out. So I'm pretty confident in my choice because there are 800hp-1000hp Chevys using them and being tuned by Flaco in his shop all the time....it might be over kill at my present state of mods but at least I know I won't have to make the swap when time comes.

#23 ·
Not necessary. I cant even count the number of guys running bigger cams with up to a 200 shot of nitrous on the billet 11" Edge converters without any problems. I ran this combo myself on my 03 for a couple years. Crane 216 cam, similar to a comp 268, with all the other boltons and a 125 shot. Converter held up great. That extra $400 could be put to much better use.

#25 ·
Not necessary. I cant even count the number of guys running bigger cams with up to a 200 shot of nitrous on the billet 11" Edge converters without any problems. I ran this combo myself on my 03 for a couple years. Crane 216 cam, similar to a comp 268, with all the other boltons and a 125 shot. Converter held up great. That extra $400 could be put to much better use.
Is that the 525$ converter they have? I won't be over 500whp ever, I'm just going to do the occasional 125 shot for now. WAY down the road I will try to do a 392 for spray...but way later

#24 ·
450 is probably right but my ultimate goal is to run some turbos and I didn't want to put something made for "normal" (the word Chris used) mods to be the reason why something failed. Like I said probably over kill but in the grand scheme of things what's $350 if it might pay off in the long run....Only if we can get some tuning options besides B&G because sending back and for a pcm to get the tune just right is just straight out nuts.

#26 ·
Yes, that is the $525 converter. The 11" is much more streetable than the 9.5" pro billet, so I really dont recommend the pro billet unless you are basically an all out track truck. The 11" will run cooler and have better street manners while still taking just about everything you can throw at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.