DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Suspension helpers

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  rsg1963 
#1 ·
Okay, so I am tired of the squat in my truck when I have it loaded with 800 or so pounds in the bed, let alone when I add a trailer. So, I am looking at helper options.

I have been recommended the Timbren spacers, but I wonder if that will create added stress on the axle tubes, since they will be adding pressure any time the truck compresses the light duty portion of the springs.

The second option I have considered is an air bag system. I like this option, because I could add a compressor and tank on the truck which would come in handy for numerous things. However, I am not sure how they work with the coil springs. I have seen them on leaf springs, and they sit between the spring pack and the frame. The ones I have seen for coils go inside the coil, and I would be afraid of them binding up in there.

Anyone have any thoughts on which way I should go?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
The air bags work great with the coil springs, so don't worry about that. I just find they are a bit expensive, and have a compressor that will require maintenance at some point.

I went with the Timbren SES system, and am very pleased. My truck normally is pulling about 6200lbs of trailer, and sits on the SES. I have not noticed any issues, but rather have noticed how nice the ride is when on the SES. It is not as rigid as it might appear. Gives more the feeling of 3/4 ton suspension.....firm, but flexible.

Benefits -
Airbag - adjustable
SES - Inexpensive and easy to install

Both are great choices IMO. :smileup:

#4 ·
These are the Air Bags I was thinking about, and they are way less than the $200 or so for the Timbrens. I have the compressor at home, but if I wanted to go with OBA, which I do, the price will easily be more after $400 or so for the OBA.

#5 ·
Why not air shocks? I know they are hard to find. Kind of the same setup as air ride...

Look into it, it might be a better route for you.

#21 ·
Why not air shocks? I know they are hard to find. Kind of the same setup as air ride...

Look into it, it might be a better route for you.

Easy way to go but not a good way to go. The shock mounts were never designed to support any vehicle weight, let alone additional bed weight or trailer weight. They are only for spring rebound and compression control (and some handling stuff too! ;-).

I'd go with some simple air bags or the Timbren setup as those both offer proper weight/loading distribution between frame and truck. In fact, they add additional points of contact to the axle-frame factory setup so it actually relieves some of the single point stresses found in the factory setup.

#7 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback. That is the one I was looking at. I found it for like $90 on the web.

I notice that you appear to be an EMT in Liberty. Not sure how to go about it, but there is a group on here of first responders you should look into joining.

#11 ·
I have the Timbrens on my truck and I swear that you would snap your axle in two before you squat your truck ever again (I have had 3000lbs in bed and pulling a trailer at the same time). That said I have had no complaints or problems in the 5+ years that they have been on my truck.

#12 ·
I had air bags on my 05 Titan and even with them at the minimum of 3 psi, the ride was terrible compared to stock. I installed the Timbren SES about 2 weeks ago on my Ram and haven't noticed a difference in the stock ride...still smooth as silk. And NO maintainance or air lines to worry about!!! I'll let ya know how it does towing a 30' travel trailer next week.

#13 ·
Well, I towed a 30' travel trailer about 70 miles, in somewhat hilly country...between Grapeland and Mexia TX. The dry weight was about 5500 lbs, two axles. The quick connect factory ITBC worked great--I call it quick connect because from start to finish was 8 minutes !!! The truck did great, with the exception of a few of the "larger" hills.
The big question: Would I regularly tow something this size/weight? No, but for the occaisional job, it did just fine. The tranny temp never went over 180 degrees F and the outside temp was about 90-95 degrees.
As far as the suspension, when we lowered the trailer onto the hitch (weight distributing), the truck squated to a level stance...the Timbren SES worked just as advertised.
Overall, I'm very happy with the truck and it's towing capability, and along with the Timbren SES, I truely feel it will handle anything I throw its way, as long as I use some common sense, which is JUST AS important as a GVWR recommendation.

Reactions: bucholj
#17 ·
I had added the airlift 1000 helpers to the rear springs. what a huge diffrence when pulling my travel trailer. no more sag, 100% level, and much more stable. I got them from autoanything .com...less than $80 bucks. I ran the lines to a T fitting, then 1 valve stem out of the back of the truck (Just to the right of the license plate). I just drilled a hole in the plastic, and ran it out of the back. They were easy to install, and work great. There is no need for a compressor. They are a great product, you wont be disappointed. A must for heavy towing.

#18 ·
Did the air bags affect the ride quality empty at all?

#19 ·
If you have the minimum 5psi in them you won't know they are even there. I keep mine around 15psi and I like the ride even better than stock (but I almost always have something in the bed and passengers in the cab).

#20 ·
Good to hear. I have a couple hundred pounds in the tool box in the bed, and then at least 2 passengers, so I shouldn't have any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.