DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need to make my own Tailgate Lightbar Trailer Plug

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Asur 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a tailgate lightbar but its home made and doesnt include a plug and play connector. I looked into all the big name brand ones, really liked the Recon but did not like the amber scanning turn signals and wanted red. But not a fan of the plasmaglows red scanning turn signals. This one actually does progressive turn signals, which I am a big fan of. Its a 3 piece set that has a middle (tail and brake only) and left and right piece (both ends have tail/brake/and signal)Is it possible to add one on my own when I get it. I am still clarifying with the seller if each piece will have to be tied in, or if they are already connected to one wiring harness.
Thanks! Hope everyone had a good weekend.

#3 ·
Awesome I was planning on getting one of those anyway. So where the pigtail plug is just cut the plug off and connect the wires? Do you happen to know which one is which. (Obviously not on the light bar but on the harness/plug)

#5 ·
Yes it does thanks! Just making sure I'm correct. White is ground green in r turn yellow left turn. And a little confused. Does red go to both left and r side stop and brown goes to both left and r side tail/running ?
Thanks!

#7 ·
Per the seller ill only be able to attach te stop/tail to the harness. He says the signals will require a source that does not combine the stop or tail with the signal. Is there any other way to connect this then aside from hard wiring it? Will the 7 pin connector work for this? So in summary looks like I can have all 3 strips wired together for stop and tail but both signals need to have independent power.

#9 ·
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.c...de/7_rv_blade_molded_trailer_cable_3_ft_.html

I have the combo 7 pin/4 pin on my truck now. Assuming the 7 pin does the left and right signal separately which I think it does (someone confirm please) ill just get a new t connector instead of the 4 pin one and just have 2 7 pin connectors and use this to run to the bar and just cap any of the extra wires I don't use. Am I on the right track now?

#12 ·
No dice tonight. Got the lightbar and its really nice. But the directions provided aren't that well written and tried a few different trial runs at wiring the connector for a test run. Nothing worked. Here's te breakdown.

Left bar
Blue wire turn signal
White wire ground.
Black wire running/tail lights
Red wire brake.

Middle bar
White wire ground.
Red wire brake.

Right bar
Blue wire turn signal
White wire ground.
Red wire brake.

Ill attach photos of the instructions and the cover of my hitch connector cover which has the map of the pin outs. Looks like ill have to try that converter captduff recommended.

#13 ·
Asur your help has been spot on with what I need diagrams and visuals. Thanks for all your time. Heres the pin outs per my hitch cover. Is this the same as what your showing me? It seems the l and r turn signal are also the stop on the 7 pin as well. Looks like we have two different pin outs?

Attachments

#16 ·
Now that you mention it, I think they do, so I would try and see about getting the brake signal from the 3rd brake light, its only got one signal, also remember that the 3rd brake lite will not lite up unless the key is in the ignition and in the run position, no need to turn over the engine, but if your going to trace it, pull off the 2 screws that hold in the 3rd brake light housing and look at the wire going to the light, one will be the signal, get that color code and you can tap into that wire under the driver side rear passenger sill.

You have a pretty complicated unit, looking forward to seeing it installed, pics day and night would be nice.

#17 ·
Ok sounds good. Looks like Ill get this done early next week since this kind of transformed into more than a splice a trailer plug kind of thing. I liked this because its one of the only bars Ive found that has progressive turn signal and is red (not a huge fan of the amber on the recon bar). Though it doesnt have reverse, I can get over it. It does have a red lense on it but it blends pretty well with the color of the truck. Fitting it maybe tight and Ill have to see if I can make some mods (the total length of all 3 segments is 66") so I may have to trim the middles mounting tabs and just deal with the pucker factor knowing that unit is only held with double sided mounting tape. But worse comes to worse since all 3 pieces are individually wired I can just ditch the middle and live without the third brake light only light. Though it will greatly take away some of the wow factor. Ill get pics and video up as soon as the project is done. Its the Least I can do for all your help.

#18 ·
Hey guys quick question. I'm gonna go ahead and hard wire everything. Completely scrubbing the hitch idea. Where is the best place to do this if I can get all the wires near each other? Stop separate wire tail a separate wire and each turn. I want to stay away from the third brake light due to the common leak issues (at least until I replace with LED). Can I get into them anywhere away from the third brake light? And will this void any warranty by hard wiring them? I only have about 7k left on it anyway

#19 ·
Wire harness where the 3rd brake lights wires are is located under the sill, you can tap into the 3rd brake light wire there, driver side, rear passenger, under the door sill. Like I mentioned, I would go with a T connector for the 7 pink hitch cable unit plug and just tap 1 wire to the 3rd brake lights, you do not have to pull the 3rd brake light off to get the wire, lift up the sill and trace the wire with a trace light. easy to do.

#20 ·
Awesome! i already bought the 4 plug t connector last week and don't wanna have to order the 7. Im confident i wont have problems with the brake light or running light connections. I'm just concerned about the little stop sign next to the turn signal indicator. I don't have a tracer still need to buy one since I just moved here. So my understanding is te 7 pin connector does have independent turn signal connections where the 4 pin does not?

#21 ·
this is how the 4 pin connector is setup on vehicles.

The turns/stop are the same for the 7 pin and the 4 pin, so if you get your stops from the 3rd brake light they will work independent of the turn, you might if in the end have to tap into the turn signals, again this is all test and see. A tracer light is cheap, pic one up at any store, LED is best. or get a volt meter.

#23 ·
Its all finished! Had to ditch the middle piece it was going to be too long, and kind of lost the bottom LED strip behind the bumper because of the size of the lightheads, but they are still just as good if not better than any brand name LED bar, and they do exactly what I want (even though there are no reverse lights). Signals were tapped just behind the bulb, and tail/and stop were tapped behind the hitch connector. I didnt end up buying a T connector, because I had the wrong one but its always something I can change later. As for both bars they look awesome because I have a red truck you can barely tell they are there (have red lenses). The seller is all sold out now so glad I got them. Worse comes to worse they dont last Ill go with Recon but at least they are in and looking good (despite an entire LED strip being hidden behind the bumper). They were a little rough to fit in, and had to use the self tapping screws, and the sticky tape was useless only because I needed them to have some space and not be flush otherwise the tailgate would have been obstructed. Pics and Video on the way. Night video may be a little bit since I work nights. I got a day time video but could not take the video with the running lights on, it seems to be having a feedback effect on my iphone causing it to appear to be blinking, when in reality they are not. Ill have to figure that out later. Thanks for everyones help!

#26 ·
Thank you sir and thanks for all the help. I know I kinda shoulda used some better connectors anything you can recommend to wrap around it besides electrical tape to help protect them. (Wire loom would be a Charlie Foxtrot since they are all bunched in the same area. If I get some time at work tonight ill take a few pics and a new video...thats if I ever see the station before dawn again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.