DODGE RAM FORUM banner

TIPM same as fuse box?

31K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
I took my truck into the dealership and they say the TIPM needs to be replaced. $900 something bux I want to be sure its not the $250 soemthing fuse box I can buy myself.

My truck is still having problems with starting and the a/c so they want to replace the TIPM. The only thing though is when the truck messes up all I have to do is move the fuse box around a little and it will work for a while until I hit a bump as if there is a loose connection somewhere. Just seems to be a fuse box problem to me.

Any ideas or know the part number so I can see if its something I can replace?

Any input is appreciated.

#2 ·
Nevermind, I check the manual and it says it is but here is another question.

If I order the part myself, would I be able to just replace the one that is in there?

#4 ·
Im planning on replacing it myself if my warranty wont cover it. They want $900 something total for the part and install. Im looking at the part right now on some mopar part sites and its only $240.

It would be very easy to do myself but my only worry is that it might need to be flashed or something done that I can not do myslef.

#5 ·
UPDATE: Okay well luckily my extended warranty covered the replacement. Just incase someone else finds this via google or through the forums, here is the link to my original post about all this crap when it first started. Hope it helps someone later on.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65830

#6 ·
So ofcourse with my luck, the truck is screwing up again :( problem is not as bad as last time but doesnt want to start after sitting over night. I ran the codes and this is what it came back with. Any ideas?

U110C- no fuel level bus message
U0141- lost communication w/ front control module
U1403- Implausable fuel level signal
U110E- lost ambient temp message

Then the same codes showed but with the letters "PD" off tho the far right?
U110C (PD)
U0141 (PD)
U1403 (PD)
U110E (PD)

#11 ·
This has me somewhat confused. If this is in your 2009, then it is a TIPM, then there is NO FCM (Front Control Module), unless it's internal. Prior to the TIPM, they had the IPM plus an FCM, but that all changed with the TIPM.

I think there is an issue with connector C7 on the bottom of the TIPM. Either it's not seated properly, or is damaged, or the wiring to/from it is damaged. This connector (amongst other things) includes the Can C bus communications wiring for numerous systems and the signal from the fuel sensor.

The only other thing that I believe could cause this, is damaged Can bus wiring somewhere that interrupts the communications bad enough to cause internal communications errors. But if this was the case, I'd expect a whole more issues than what you have described. :4-dontknow:

#7 ·
If I were you, I would take it right back to the dealer since the warranty covered it the first time.

#9 ·
Yea Im taking it monday I guess when I get back into town. I was hoping it just might be a relay or something since its just starting that has the problem. Ill just let them try and figure it out for the 4th time lol

This is really putting a damper on my mod plans :(

#12 ·
Hey Brad thanks for the response!

See I was thinking it has to be one of the connections on the bottom as well because of how sensitive the problem is. I mean, if it doesnt start all I have to do is wiggle it around and it will fire right up. Before I took it in this last time it would mess up simply by hitting a bump or taking turns too fast.

I just pulled the codes and looked them up online. Maybe they are different for my truck?

I was wondering which connector I should look so thanks for that! Im going to have a look at the C7 connection when I get home and see if there is anything noticable.

#13 ·
Hey Brad, I havent been able to look at the connector yet as im still out of town but I was wondering if you knew what else ran through that connector or if you know how I can look that info up? Its just there are certain things that go wrong with the truck when messes up so if those seem to be running through that one connector I can just tell the dealership to replace the harness as well.

Thanks!

#14 ·
I don't have a detailed list specific to this connector, but it does have wiring for (not a complete list) -
Fuel Pump
Brake lamp relay
ABS power
Dynamics sensor power
Stop lamp switch
Wiper motor
Hazard swtich sense
Brake lights
All door ajar sense
Can C diagnostics
Can C IHS
Can C
Win module power
Inverter
Adjustable pedal power
Fuel level
Rear park and turn signals

Hope this helps. :)

#16 ·
Unfortunately, no C7 connection for anything AC related.
The AC system has connections via C1, C3, C5 and C6. Way to group them! :LOL:

#17 ·
Unfortunately, no C7 connection for anything AC related.
The AC system has connections via C1, C3, C5 and C6. Way to group them! :LOL:
haha wow! Is there a diagram online I might be able to send my brother showing him the connections? Im still out of town so I might have him look at it while Im gone.

#18 ·
Here is the wiring diagram for the TIPM. :)

#20 ·
so I sent it to my brother this morning and he said he didnt see anything out of the ordinary and the truck started......BUT he said the radio wouldnt turn on now :(

I told him to pull the fuse and disconnect the battery for a few then try again. Still nothing. Says the face comes down but nothing displays or plays through the speakers

I think I just have the worst luck with trucks lol
so now its off searching the forums for a possible solution to my REN Mygig problem

#21 ·
Thinking out loud -
Check the ground connections, especially at/near the TIPM
Check all the multipin connectors that plug into the TIPM for loose/floating pins, corrosion, bent pins, etc.
Check the wiring harnesses near the TIPM for signs of physical (mechanical) damage.

This is sounding like either of -
a) poor ground connection (emphasis on TIPM ground)
b) Can C bus problem (Open or shorted).

:4-dontknow:

#22 ·
I would agree with it sounding like a grounding problem with the amount if systems having issues. I am not familiar with how these trucks are wired, but GM uses shorting strips on the datalink wires. (im going back a few years so it might have changed) I would bet that our trucks have a similar setup.

#23 ·
Ill tell my brother to check some of this stuff. Its frustrating im not there to look at this all myself. I posted about the Mygig on a fourm thats dedicated to them and it looks like it dead :( Might have to just buy one

#24 ·
It's a possibility, but I wouldn't rush in getting a replacement until the TIPM issue is solved. I've learned over the years to fix the computer issues first, then see if anything else needs repair. Often a TIPM/computer issue will create 'phantom' issues. :4-dontknow:

#25 ·
It's a possibility, but I wouldn't rush in getting a replacement until the TIPM issue is solved. I've learned over the years to fix the computer issues first, then see if anything else needs repair. Often a TIPM/computer issue will create 'phantom' issues. :4-dontknow:
Good point Brad, maybe its something with in the TIPM causing it to screw up. I should be home Wed. so hopefully I can look at her soon and take her down to the dealership.

Since they have already replaced the TIPM once should I tell them to check the connecting harnesses as well on the bottom? Is there a way for them to check them and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing?

#26 ·
Yes and No. :158:

Being a computer and tied in with more computers, allows them to run some pretty decent diagnostics, but if a final driver is bad, there is not way to determine if the final output is there or not. This is where the tech comes in. He can get the diagnostics info that tells him the output is on and working, and he can then check with a meter to verify that it actually exists.
It was easy to make that sound easy, however sometimes this can be a rather laborious task. :str:

#27 ·
My TIPM was replaced on my last 2011 they said it was defective and it was backordered for anwhile. It was not sending power to my AC compressor. Call Chrysler they should replace it for free. They know it has problems.

#28 ·
thanks for the reply gynst2. Hate to hear that anyone else has had a problem with their TIPM. Im assuming all is well now?

I finally got back in town but had my brother take it up for me last monday....its still there. I told them to check the harnesses on the bottom of the TIPM and check the radio since it just stopped working. They found a bad connection with one of the harnesses and took full blame for the radio messing up (?) so they arent charging me for any of it and they are covering my rental for a week. Im hoping this is the last problem I have with the TIPM, nothing worse than Texas heat and no A/C!

#29 · (Edited)
My TIPM Problems

I bought my 2007 Ram July 5th. Around mid August my Serv 4WD Light came on while I was driving down the highway. I was only a mile from my destination, so when I stopped I re-started and light did not come back on. A week later came on 3 times in one day and it is not a Service Interval Light.

Took it to the Dealership and They had my truck for 3 days diagnosing the problem. According to the dealer the tech was working with an Engineer on my Serv 4WD indicator and other problems??? According to the dealer's service rep the engineer wanted to do exhaustive testing before he would say it was TIPM. The Service Mgr pretty much told me the first day that the tech was certain it would be the TIPM. Also, my Transfer Case Actuator does need replaced.

So next week I have to take my truck back because an Engineer/Inspector will be onsite and wants to look it over and go over the results. Oh and the parts are on back order.:LOL:

Just happy it is covered under my extended warranty!!!

#30 ·
I'm guessing the transfer case actuator was the cause of the 'Service 4wd' light, and the 'other problems' are the result of them finding some pending codes that they found while scanning it. It sounds to me like you may have a good dealer. Often they will just clear the codes and send you on your way, so if this is the case with yours, I give koodo's to the service department. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.