DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A couple of questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  97ram1500 
#1 ·
First off, I own a 99 Ram 1500 SLT with a 5.2/5 speed....
First question is... Can I install a turbo?
Second question is... How hard is it to switch to a 5.9?
Does anybody else feel that 5th gear is weak?

#2 ·
As I have an 08' 6.7 Cummins that I haven't had to change out a turbo, I have no knowledge. However, if you stick around someone with far more knowledge than I will chime in. I wanted to take this opportunity in case I hadn't already to welcome you to the RamForumz!
Hello and welcome!

#4 ·
Not sure if your still looking for an answer but as for the turbo, yes you can but with a 1999 im assuming it has fairly high miles on it so youd have to rebuild the entire motor for it to support a turbo without blowing up.

As for the 5.9 swap im not to sure how hard it is. Its definitely something that you need to plan out and need the helping hand of a mechanic.

And for the 5th gear it depends on the size of tires and if you swapped out the rear gears or not. 5th is mainly over drive on the highway, if your avatar is ur truck then those are fairly big tires and with a 3.55 itll seem like it has no pick up at all. With 35s on my truck i normally have to down shift on any type of small hill or even if its extremely windy out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.