DODGE RAM FORUM banner

are 1500 and 2500 suspension parts interchangeable?

30K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  jfry4551 
#1 ·
i have a 95 ram 1500 4x4, im going to be replacing the suspension soon here and im wondering if i can get 2500 leafs, coils, and shocks to put on my 1500. will this work?

#7 ·
I believe you would have to fabricate some leaf spring mounts on the frame
but, both models MAY use the same frame & there may be markings for the location

#10 ·
Were you able to swao in 2500 suspension equipment? Been thinking about doing it myself.
i am actually doing it either next weekend or the weekend after. i have all the 2500 parts i need just need to do it. but i do know its possible! a guy at my local autozone has a 94 1500 with 2500 suspension on it. he told me everything off 2500 and 3500 will bolt right up to a 1500 exept for the rear leaf springs. but all you have to do is bend the mounting ears out a little to fit in the bigger 3 inch wide leafs. im swaping everything while i have it torn apart so its probly guna turn into a week long project. hers what im doing,

2500 shocks and struts
2500 coil springs
2500 leafs
wheel bearings
ball joints
u joints
tie rod ends
and all other bushings up front.

ill update everyone after im all done. hopefully i dont run into any major problems....

#12 ·
so did this work well or what. was it simply just a bolt it up and go or was there lots of fabrication needed. i despretly need a 2500 and i no way can afford it but i have the 5.9l so pleanty power. also wud i be able to pull a gooseneck after the suspension change or wud axles and frame be an issue. please give me everything u have discovered and learned in the process of this becasue i can get leafs and springs all for 10 bucks each . much appreciated

#13 ·
yes everything just bolts right up. i managed to fine 2500 leafs that are 2.5" wide but have thinker leafs instead of the 3" wide ones. so i just bolted them right on with all my original hardware. i haven't done my front end stuff yet, but i will update when i get around to doing it. and as for towing a gooseneck i wouldnt be able to tell you. i dont see why you couldnt...

#15 ·
i have a ball in my bed that ive used to pull my buddies broke pos chevy, our weekend race car, and other stupid stuff. i dont have the 2500 suspension, but ive got my bds 5 inch lift and i have no problem towing like that. here in south dakota though... vehicle laws are pretty lax... never heard of anyone getting dinged for exceeding towing limits.

#16 ·
what are they guna go and weigh your trailer just to give you a ticket? i dont think so... besides, the only reason they say you cant tow more than you gvw is because it would be too hard to stop, so if the trailer has good brakes than i dont see a problem.

#17 ·
what are they guna go and weigh your trailer just to give you a ticket? i dont think so... besides, the only reason they say you cant tow more than you gvw is because it would be too hard to stop, so if the trailer has good brakes than i dont see a problem.
Well yeah thats called a DOT inspection.... probably wont happen but it can. Plus if your towing across interstate they can make you come into a scale station.
It isnt illegal to actually tow over the GVWR but should you have an accident while your over weight your insurance wont cover you in that situtaion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.