DODGE RAM FORUM banner

are 1500 and 2500 suspension parts interchangeable?

30K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  jfry4551 
#1 ·
i have a 95 ram 1500 4x4, im going to be replacing the suspension soon here and im wondering if i can get 2500 leafs, coils, and shocks to put on my 1500. will this work?

#7 ·
I believe you would have to fabricate some leaf spring mounts on the frame
but, both models MAY use the same frame & there may be markings for the location

#10 ·
Were you able to swao in 2500 suspension equipment? Been thinking about doing it myself.
i am actually doing it either next weekend or the weekend after. i have all the 2500 parts i need just need to do it. but i do know its possible! a guy at my local autozone has a 94 1500 with 2500 suspension on it. he told me everything off 2500 and 3500 will bolt right up to a 1500 exept for the rear leaf springs. but all you have to do is bend the mounting ears out a little to fit in the bigger 3 inch wide leafs. im swaping everything while i have it torn apart so its probly guna turn into a week long project. hers what im doing,

2500 shocks and struts
2500 coil springs
2500 leafs
wheel bearings
ball joints
u joints
tie rod ends
and all other bushings up front.

ill update everyone after im all done. hopefully i dont run into any major problems....

#12 ·
so did this work well or what. was it simply just a bolt it up and go or was there lots of fabrication needed. i despretly need a 2500 and i no way can afford it but i have the 5.9l so pleanty power. also wud i be able to pull a gooseneck after the suspension change or wud axles and frame be an issue. please give me everything u have discovered and learned in the process of this becasue i can get leafs and springs all for 10 bucks each . much appreciated

#13 ·
yes everything just bolts right up. i managed to fine 2500 leafs that are 2.5" wide but have thinker leafs instead of the 3" wide ones. so i just bolted them right on with all my original hardware. i haven't done my front end stuff yet, but i will update when i get around to doing it. and as for towing a gooseneck i wouldnt be able to tell you. i dont see why you couldnt...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.