DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2007 2 wheel drive lowering kit suggestions.

11K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  bransonshemi 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion on what lowering kit would provide the best handling for my truck? I love to drive way to fast for my own good and just the other day my friend watched me get my truck on two wheels and told me it was time to take care of that problem. Thanks for the help also what size rims and tires should i put on it?

#5 ·
probly need to beef up sway bars if ya gottem or install some if ya dont, lowering will help but suspensions are a big part of handling and how a vehicle will react to different conditions,also the body styles and CG and all that plays in as well, really dont be thinkin Id be snatchin on the wheel at a high rate of speed in vehicle

#37 ·
go to stylintrucks.com they have all the best kits and a bunch of different drops, also if you decide to go with this site you can look up coupons online, type stylin trucks coupons in google and find some that are 20 percent offf anything over $400 thats what did,. helps out alot. good luck:wavey:

#10 ·
Im thinkin the flatter it sets the better your gonna be, Ive never lowered one but I know I used to put in some of them Rancho poly bushings and it helped make the truck handle better, there might be some after market springs available that are lower but give the same or close to same ride as stock or even better....
Keep us updated on what ya do for the back, Im gonna be setting my truck down in the back a little to level it out

#12 ·
well im working on getting a flip kit for my truck.it actually places the real leaf springs under the axel instead of on top and will come with new suspension for the front which will lower the front 4 inches and the back 6.i have 24" rims with the smallest tires possible for a truck which already gives me better grip and handling but i rode in a lowered one with a flip kit n it felt like it was on rails

#24 ·
i have the same 4/6 kit on my o4 qc i run 295 45 20s with no problems.. buy energy suspension bump stops cut them to fit so it dont travel to far up into the fender wells....trial and error i cut the first set to short but there only 11.99 at advance auto ... ye should fill privileged to get info from me.. but thou are a fellow mopar man...that why you shall receive...MOTORHEAD 8:16

#18 ·
I just put a Ground Force 1.5"/4.3" lowering kit on mine still running stock 20” wheels with 275/55R20 tires. Front 1.5 springs flip kit for the rear, everything you need shocks and all. Will need to get an alignment ASAP. If you’re good with a wrench you’ll have around 4 to 6 hours labor in it
Their kit for 4X4 uses Torsion bar keys on front rather than springs and the same flip kit for the rear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

#23 · (Edited)
I just put a Ground Force 1.5"/4.3" lowering kit on mine still running stock 20” wheels with 275/55R20 tires. Front 1.5 springs flip kit for the rear, everything you need shocks and all. Will need to get an alignment ASAP. If you’re good with a wrench you’ll have around 4 to 6 hours labor in it
Their kit for 4X4 uses Torsion bar keys on front rather than springs and the same flip kit for the rear

View attachment 1454
Update I did have a vibration around 30-40 mph here’s what I did to solve it.
Used shims on axle and plate on trans tail shaft that came with kit for proper pinion/driveshaft alignment, ( I thought) after playing around with it this weekend I found the trans needed to be raised just about 1/32 of an inch added a homemade shim to raise tail shaft. Like magic vibration all gone. I am going to play with it some more to see if I can get same result by changing shims around/out and spacer plate at trans.
FYI everything I found told me angle of pinion is between 3 and 6 degrees
:smiley_thumbs_up:

#22 ·
The rims I have on mine are solid face cut out back for weight. Also use great tires but they run 400$ a single. Depending on you're torque and Diff gear aka (limited slip or posi) can throw a wrench in your progression. if you're looking for better grip you might have to buy better tires and a 22"in rim. Also changing leaf springs to lower the back 3-4in will healp with weight balance. Struts and anti sway front and back are good ideas I use them all and still spin my tires like its a job. These also help in handling turning on a dime with a ram 1500 is a miricle but can be done.

#28 ·
I'm a fan of McGaughys lowering kits for static drops. They keep all of the geometry correct. Depending on how much modification you want to make you could do a 2"-4" drop and get a little difference in handling or do a 4"-6" and really drop the center of gravity and improve the handling. As for shocks, I would go with a nice set of Bilsteins. They are a little more money but definitely worth it. When it comes to wheels and tires, when you go with a smaller sidewall you'll get less roll improving road feel, but it also gives a harsher ride. The question you really need to ask yourself is how much comfort do you really want to sacrifice? You can do 305/40-22s like on the SRT-10 and have good performance and great comfort. Or you could do 305/30-26s and have it feel like it is literally on rails but ride extremely rough and constantly worry about road rashing your rims. If it were my truck I would do the 4"-6" with 305/35-24s. Hope this helps...

#35 ·
thank you so much for this info this is exactly what i needed but sadly i am out of work right now there for i dont have any money for the truck till i get a new job. but future plans for the truck will be the 4-6 drop on 22s since the roads in arizona suck and i dont want to bend a rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.