DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My 5.2 is a dog when towing.....???

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Okiespaniels 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new travel trailer that weighs in at 6300# empty. I did not think this was going to be a problem for my truck but.....my 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.2 automatic struggled to get this trailer down the highway. Pedal to the floor to keep my speed up. 50MPH was about it on level road and bogged way down going up the hills. My other Dodge was a 5.2 auto and I pulled a travel trailer that weighed more than this one and never had any issues. What is the deal? I just bought this truck so maybe I have a problem that I need to be looking for? Any ideas on what to do? The truck seems to run just fine without the trailer.

G
#2 ·
The weight of the truck is 6400 pounds and the trailer is 6300 pounds empty. The max capacity for the truck is 12,500 pounds so you are exceeding its ratings by 200 pounds before you even load the trailer.

#5 ·
Same Problem

I have the same truck with the same issue. I pull a 30' travel trailer and was going the mountain and she wouldn't get over 30 mph. when I got back from vacation I bought a Superchip Flashpaq at the parts store, I installed it in the parking lot while I still had the travel trailer hooked up. When I pulled out of the parking lot of the parts store I could tell a difference, wasn't a very big difference but it did pull much better then it had been. I checked into it and everyone I spoke with told me it was the 3.55 gearing that was causing my problems. I am getting ready to try a cold air intake to see if that will help on the torque.

#6 ·
I don't really care what the manual says...your truck doesn't have the suds to pull that weight, and even if your last truck did, it shouldn't have and I wouldn't.
5000 trailer weight is tops for a 5.2 and about 6k for a 5.9 with your chassis, that is if you want to be safe for yourself, your family and those who drive around you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.