DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My Build Thread..Slowly Coming Along

10K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  tminor 
#1 ·
Okay so to start this off my 98 ram 1500 sport 5.2l with 131k on the clock and it is my first truck..i had been looking for months before i got my license so i could find one i like and start modding it..well apparently jersey in home to some awful 2nd gens and i was set on getting one...i had looked at this one and after looking at a couple more pulled the trigger and brought her home..paid 3600 knowing it would need some work but it was in great shape compared to the others i had looked it.

Here's a pic of her getting loaded up to come home:
Automotive exterior Vehicle

needless to say i was one happy kid and once i got her home i instantly started looking her over and checking everything and started making a list of what it would need...at the time i didnt know it would be a long windy road...its gonna take a while to upload all the pics but itll be done soon enough!

See less See more
#53 ·
Any updates on this thread? Our trucks are exactly the same, except mine's a 97, so I'm dying to hear more. Mine's only got 124k on it (I've owned it 2 years and put less than 2k miles on it between deployments and using the wife's car) so I plan on modding the shit out of her with all the life she's got left.

Just to throw my stuff in there: I've got a K&N CAI, Jet Fuel:Air programmer, Flowmaster super 40 series dual exhaust, 3 in lift, Toyo MT 35/13.5/15 on black steel wheels, Rancho 9000XL shocks, recently replaced steering box, ball joints, water pump/gasket/t-stat, and plugs/wires/dist. cap.

Coming up I'm getting Pro Comp 15s, 33/12.5/15 General Grabber AT2s, projector headlights (6000k HID kit), and NFAB light bar w/ 4 Hella HIDs.

I'll try and get some pics posted here soon--until then, any mods you guys would recommend? I'm still learning most of this as I go, so I'm always up to learn from the more experienced guys in the virtual room.

#54 ·
Coming up I'm getting Pro Comp 15s, 33/12.5/15 General Grabber AT2s, projector headlights (6000k HID kit), and NFAB light bar w/ 4 Hella HIDs.

I'll try and get some pics posted here soon--until then, any mods you guys would recommend? I'm still learning most of this as I go, so I'm always up to learn from the more experienced guys in the virtual room.
cosmetically, the headlight upgrade is a pretty big deal with any second gen, the output of stock is piss poor, and by the time you drop in just hids, a upgraded headlight will improve the look, and even further, a set of basic projectors with hids are awesome. on the high end route, building a set of retrofit projectors is the best option you can go with. with experience in that, youll NEVER regret retrofit upgrades, best lighting ive had.

another major cosmetic upgrade is leds everywhere you can shove them. inside, you see more. outside, blinkers and brakes, they just add to the trucks overall finish, especially with a set of tinted taillights or an aftermarket set.

with the upgrades youve done to the suspension look into a new track bar, steering box brace, and dual steering stabilizers. these trucks arent notorious for death wobble, but it is something to consider especially if you ever go bigger. i had 35s with no problem, but stepping up to 37s i couldnt go past 35 mph without a nasty case of death wobble.

man i could go on forever with things you could do, and things you should do lol. without eating up his thread, thats a general idea of what i have for recommendations.

ill shoot you a pm here in a second, i might have some things right up your alley.

#55 ·
hey double0 i tried to PM you back but i haven't earned the right yet haha. i'd love to buy those lights from you, but between maintenance upgrades for the truck and possibly taking leave here soon before deployment #2 i don't have the cash to send your way. thanks, though--i read through almost your whole build thread last night and those lights are EXACTLY what i'm looking for.

on another note, i do have a rough country steering stabilizer (didn't have the cash for a dual at the time) but i do plan on upgrading to a dual. and i plan on buying quite a few suspension parts during this tour after i buy a new set of rubber. and man do those LEDs look awesome--it had never even occurred to me to replace all those lights with LEDs, but after seeing your threat the temptation is almost too much!

#56 ·
Ah it's all good my friend! if and when you set out to do some hella hid converting yourself, hit me up. I have a write up around here somewhere and it's not hard at all. as for leds, I know almost every part number for all the bulbs in the second gens, and where to get the best ones so I'll also offer that advice should you need it. I have a large obsession with lighting on vehicles lol!

and lastly, idk where your headed for your deployment, but stay safe! Thank you for your service.

#57 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.