DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Saved over $4,699. on brakes today

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  teflon74 
#1 · (Edited)
Ready for your eyes to pop? A Brembo big brake kit (#1J1.9002A2) which is for calipers, pads and drilled rotors for the front only cost $4,699. And that is the discount price. Wilwood is about the same.
I needed a brake upgrade on all 4 brakes so you can do the math to see what Brembo would cost. Since I work for a living and never hit the lottery or got a federal gov't job, I could not go that route. Instead, I went with PowerStop drilled ventilated rotors with matching hi performance pads. To get the "look" of the "high price binders," I stopped at AutoZone and picked up a high quality brake caliper paint kit (cleaner prep and caliper paint w/ brush) in OEM red (same color Dodge uses on SRT calipers).

So instead of polishing and powder coating, I cleaned and painted the stock calipers and they look great dressed up in red and costing little to do.

It took exactly an hour to change over all four brake assemblies and paint the calipers. I have attached a photo of the installed front brake showing the entire assembly. There is also a pic with the wheel mounted. Ah....the pleasure of doing a good job, doing it yourself and saving a pile of cash to boot! BTW, I loved seeing the trick Ram alloy suspension members. Lots less weight for a more compliant suspension!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It took exactly an hour to change over all four brake assemblies and paint the calipers.
That's a typo, right.

No chance it too 1HR to paint all four brake calipers and install complete new assemblies all round.....

Reactions: Hermes1
#7 · (Edited)
That's a typo, right.

No chance it too 1HR to paint all four brake calipers and install complete new assemblies all round.....
No typo. By the clock, I rented space on a front end machine not being used at the time at a friend's shop. With the truck being brand new, every bolt came out without the slightest problem. No rust, no problems. The lift was a huge time saver allowing eye level work. Also, painting the calipers at eye level was a big convenience. Each caliper took only about 5-6 minutes and was painted after the rotors and pads were changed over. I could have done an even "neater" job if I had more time to paint the calipers off the truck but I did not split the brake line and painted the calipers 'on the spot.' I am a long time hot rod builder and love doing these kinds of mods. Before I did this job, I checked out an SRT Challenger to see how the Dodge boyz did their brakes. This is not as sanitary and smooth as Brembo, SSBC, AP, Wilwood or Dodge since the calipers are not polished out. The raw Ram caliper castings works well with the paint and when painted offers plenty of "eye candy." This is not show car level work but for a working truck, it is a great inexpensive trick upgrade that offers improved braking and an improved level of 'cool' for the street.

#10 ·
So the calipers were left in place and just hit directly with a spray can? Single coat only?

No priming, no clear coat, no multiple coats, etc...?

Okay....

#11 · (Edited)
So the calipers were left in place and just hit directly with a spray can? Single coat only?

No priming, no clear coat, no multiple coats, etc...?

Okay....
No. The kit comes with a spray cleaner which I generously used, wiped metal with clean rag and than used a blower to dry it off. Priming is not necessary in this application. I will let the forum know how it holds up after 5-6 months.

All the painting was done with a $1.15 narrow natural bristle brush I bought at Home Depot. The brush that comes with the kit is just too small. The caliper paint kit is by Duplicolor and cost $19.95. There is enough paint to do 5 trucks or 20 brakes. The red color is remarkably close to the Dodge Challenger SRT red calipers. Spraying color is impossible if calipers are mounted. The brush is very neat. The paint is something like nail polish. Definitely a special formulation for caliper use. Don't let your wife see it or you'll kiss it goodbye.

#17 ·
Nice

V/r Federal Government Employee

#18 ·
I thought he said he brushed it.

I stopped at AutoZone and picked up a high quality brake caliper paint kit (cleaner prep and caliper paint w/ brush) in OEM red (same color Dodge uses on SRT calipers).

Well the kit came with a brush, so I'm assuming he used it. Lol

#20 ·
Just a note: The caliper paint is holding up perfectly. The PowerStop pads and rotors are 100%. I have not done any maximum braking test yet but will after the new brakes settle in. So far they feel as good if not better than the stock brakes. No noises, no grabbing, no creeping noises when inching along in traffic. Also, no apparent brake dust seen..yet. The rotors look trick and the red calipers do pop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.