DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My 4.7L (my 1st video post)

3K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  BlackHemI 
#1 ·
Made a shaky cell phone video of 0-60 today on the way home from work on a quiet road....this is my quad cab 4.7L (3.55) with superchips 93 tune. IIRC I have the 1-2 shift rpm set at 6,100 rpms and this is with torque management at the stock setting. Traction control is off, I let off when the tires started spinning, then got back into the pedal (kills me to burn up $1,000 tires! lol)

See less See more
#3 ·
nice, what exhaust r u running again?
LOL if anyone else asks me that..... IT'S STOCK!! lol jk...but yeah everyone asks me and it is 100% stock as of now. Only performance related mods actually installed on my truck are the 93 SC tune, airraid dry filter drop in, and airaid modular intake tube. I think I have more parts in the garage waiting to go on than that...uh...time...

#4 ·
Seems to be about the same as my 4.7. I have a DSP with custom shift points and an 87tune along with a volant CAI. I had videos on my old phone, but I lost them. Imma try to record another one so I can compare it to these newer 4.7s!

Cool video though.

#5 ·
Yeah wish I had a real camera so it wasn't so choppy, but I'm too cheap to buy a camera just for 0-60 videos lol. I think my truck is doing a 7.2 second 0-60 and about a 2.4 60' with a 16.0 1/4 ET. Although as cold as it is right now I should be able to do about a 15.8 or 15.7 maybe, at best. Can't wait to get my stall in, exhaust, and other stuff I want done...Hoping to hit 14's then I'll be satisfied. I'm just looking for a fun daily driver. If anyone ever makes cams I may go that far, but I want to keep it very reliable and good on gas, so no nitrous or boost for me...

I honestly think it's faster than the video looks lol. I think it's crappy because it's a cell phone. It feels so much faster in it than it looks on the video lol, maybe it's just hopeful wishing though!

#9 ·
lol yeah I hear you but honestly I am very happy with the 4.7L. It's pretty powerful and I should end up near 300 rwhp which isn't too bad for a small engine in my to and from work truck. I knowingly bought the 4.7L understanding the hemi was faster, but also knowing I would throw a small amount of money/time into it. I just can't help myself, I love wrenching. Hell I modified my lawnmower, weed wacker, and chainsaw to run better :). Primary goals when I went to buy my truck were (in order): quad cab, good deal, great shape, quick, good looking, goodish on gas, lowish miles. I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up, and what really sold me on the 4.7L was that the SC tuner adds so much hp and tq that it made it worth it to me (it dropped my 1/4 mile ET a whole second). I'm making a lot of the performance parts myself, doing all the labor myself, and buying most every other part used, or at least on the cheap. I think I'll only have about $2,000 into the performance of my truck when I'm done and that'll include ram air, the intake setup I have now, shorties, y pipe, muffler, stall, tuner, 4.10's and LSD, mech fan delete and 180 deg tstat, and catch can.

EDIT: Not to say if someone wanted to straight up trade my same truck with a hemi I wouldn't take it, but I really like my truck, and honestly really like my 4.7L. If the hemi didn't exist, I'd take the 4.7L over any other manufacturer's bigger engines.

#10 ·
Nice man. I bought the truck off my dad dirt cheap so I didn't really have an option haha.

I turn 18 this month and I will be getting the truck put into my name and he said once I am off to college I can do whatever I want to it.

So next on the list is 6" Rough Country lift 35" toyo M/T, 4.10s with eaton locker... and after that depending on money I will hopefully get a cam, headers and exhaust.

#11 ·
Very cool. Damn good for 18 years old! My dad gave me his 1981 F100 for high school graduation (even though he gave it to me earlier). We restored it while I was growing up, then during high school built the inline six up a little and the trans. I loved that truck and it is now sitting in storage collecting dust, mostly disassembled :(. We are trying to find a warehouse that we can work on it in so we can rebuild it and shoot for closer to 1,000 hp this time (we were at around 325 hp NA with stock bottom end). We will be building up the bottom end and gotta get some pistons that will handle a large amount of nitrous. Planning to run a lot of nitrous on the track to get nearer to single digit 1/4 mile ET's. If we can't achieve that on nitrous or can't keep pistons together then we will go over to turbo. Nitrous is just sooo easy and cheap that it's very appealing lol. I'd go all out on this truck (the 4.7L would be great to turbo or run juice) but I love that old truck and want to keep this one very reliable.

#12 ·
nice video Sean that thing is very fast! you werent lying lol. btw i lost my numbers, was taht you who texxt me a picture from times square over the new year break??

#15 ·
LOL OK cool ima post a video up of mine this weekend. All this going fast is making me itchy

#17 ·
Lmao that's funny!!!

#19 ·
Yea and Kay is supporting you! Ah hell Nah ! Get on Cal of duty so I can kill you

#21 ·
yea lucky you lol

#22 ·
I just was re reading this thread and saw this:

If when I get 35s I lose too much acceleration I am going to get a cam and a cmr tune.
I'd recommend you get the high output 4.7L cams, over any other cam. I believe they will give you the most low end torque without sacrificing hp. I'd confirm this with the guy at airram but I think I've seen him make this recommendation for heavy trucks (quad cab, to boot) and large tires....I take it your into off roading/mudding? (I think I remember seeing videos you posted of this?) If so I'd definitely go with the HO cams. Also, with 35" tires and the 4.7L you'd probably want 4.56 gearing, or at least 4.10's.

#24 ·
lmao well my truck is way to dirty right. i totally forgot lol but i will! dont worry

#25 ·
I tell you the truth, I have been watching all kinds of videos on you tube of 0-60 and whatever and your truck is about the quickest I have seen. Actually i guess the srt 10 is the only one that i have seen that seemed quicker. I cant wait to get my SC tuner, just wish my 4.7 was an 08 or newer, I got the 235 horse one. CRAP!!

#26 ·
Thanks jj. I am about as fast as the new hemi's (in comparable truck) so that makes me pretty happy. There was a guy on here that posted he was running 14.9ish, I think actually a bit faster, with his 4.7L with bolt ons and tune. I'm at more like a 15.9ish. After I get my converter in (soon!!!) I'm hoping that will drop my time ~1/2 a second. I'm shooting for 14's and think it's very doable. I know it's no rocket, but it's just all fun...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.