DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to pull someone out?

3K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  richmond 
#1 ·
I've done some searching on the forum but can't find what I'm looking for.

My question is: if I need to pull someone out of a ditch, what is the safest and best way to do this? Most people say to use a tow strap without hooks, so how do you hook this up to your truck and to the other car? And what other equipment would you need? I ask because I live in Colorado and often drive through very remote places during the winter where pulling someone out of a ditch could make a huge difference.

I'm the new owner of a 2013 Big Horn with 3.92 gears and I'm fairly new to trucks so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. Any advice and pictures are appreciated.

#3 ·
Tow straps usually have a loop on each end. It's best to use tow hooks if you're towing from the front or something mounted to the frame. Don't tie off to an axle or bumper. From the rear, either use the hitch or again, something mounted to the frame.

Cars are a little different because they are unibody, and don't have a frame per say.

4wd is nice for pulling people out so you don't spin. Also, let the other owner hook the strap up to their vehicle, just in case something goes wrong, it's their fault, not yours.

#10 ·
Why would you ever tie a knot, period? Just take the loop and run the strap through the loop. Or put the loop over the ball as is.

#9 ·
get d rings and tow straps with loops on the end. or a bubba rope used for snatchin out stuck vehicles. I got a hitch receiver with a hook on it

#15 ·
hehe...i thought the pick up was going to flip backwards when the cherokee bumper bit in the hill!!! lol..i waited all 6 minutes for it to happen! lol

#19 ·
Oh, I'm not kidding.

We have some real pieces of work over there.....

F150 owners are, IMHO, hands down the most creative thinkers/owners of any truck brand.

Sadly, the majority of their ideas aren't worth a squirt of monkey's piss.

#24 ·
whenever i pull someone out i not only get them to hook the chain/strap to their vehicle but i double check it. If i don't like how they did it i tell them and we either find a better spot or they agree up front that if it tears something up it is not my fault. but honestly in 25 years of driving the worst i have ever done to someone else's vehicle is had the chain scratch the bumper/air dam.

Also, i give ONE gentle pull, if that does not work it is time to snatch. if they don't want me to snatch on it i simply tell them to find someone else. I'm not going to play around getting someone out, that is how the assisstance vehicle gets stuck too. Of course, around here we are not dealing with snow/ice but mud.

I also prefer to pull from the front of my truck, reverse just seems to work better than forward on the pulling vehicle. Plus i can see what is going on that way.

#25 ·
Reverse

I too think reverse is best. From the rear I have used Astartes method with a 20' sling and Reese hitch pin with the crook in it. I also carry one of those old construction clevises with screw in pin in the tool box (you never know).

Feedback on the "Bubba" rope would be nice (mud only I think). R...

#26 ·
Lots of good advice, start by pulling gently is the best advice. I've also learned to judge the person you are pulling out. I've pulled a few people out over the years and been pulled out even more often. Most people are gratefull you stopped to help, but some are idiots that think they know more about it than you. For example the last person that I tried to pull out backed into a deep ditch at a baseball game. It was two ladies and her friend. It was a SUV and it was going to be easy for me to pull it out but it was a deep ditch and there was no doubt it might do some damage pulling it out. Well this ladies friend must have watched to many TV shows where they come in with these big rigs and actually can pick the vehicle up and set it down on the road. Of course the small town I'm from doesn't have such rigs. I finally didn't say a thing, put my tow rope away and left without saying a thing. I hope the tow cost them at least a $100 and there is no doubt in my mind the tow truck pulled them out the same way I would have.

My point is judge the person your pulling out and sometimes its better to offer them a ride than risk damaging there vehicle or mess with them if they think they know more than you. Its tough to find a place on a modern car to hook onto.

#28 · (Edited)
Well, while it may be easier to see when pulling someone out in reverse.....YOU SHOULD NEVER DO IT !!!

Yes, there are times it can't be avoided, but pulling in reverse loads the ring gear heavily on the back side of the teeth, which is not the strong point, and you run the risk of cracking a tooth pulling in reverse, especially if you are snatching someone out. And don't forget the transmission....its reverse gear is not designed to handle high loading either, not to mention the gear ratio is not the best.

If it can't be avoided, do so slowly, but otherwise, always pull someone out in a forward direction. Not only is it less stress on your truck, but it is safer for you ( no chance of the rope coming at you thru the windshield)

#29 ·
i'll agree to disagree on that one, was taught that method by old timers that know how to off road. I've been doing it for many years and never had a problem on dozens of vehicles i've owned. most vehicles i've had reverse is just about the right gear ratio for optimum pulling. heck, i used my '04 Ram 1500 to pull out numerous trees around my property and all of them in reverse a few i even had all 4 tires on pavement. no issues with the tranny or front/rear end in 9 years of ownership.

also i only pull out in 4wd, never in 2wd. If you must use 2wd then yes you always want to pull in a forward direction for best traction.

we do agree on one thing, pulling forward you don't have to worry about the rope/strap hitting the windshield. i once popped a chain and luckily it wrapped on the brush guard and did not hit the truck itself, but that was also 2 30' chains hooked together because the guy's Bronco II was in a very soft spot and i could get no closer than about 40'. got 1 running start that was just a few feet too much. LOL

#32 ·
Pulling in reverse 4wd

The last new truck I owned had the tow hook on the front (not a tie down). I did not snatch anyone out, I did not snatch logs up the logging road (pulled to the logging road in reverse 4wd, re-hooked in the rear and pulled them up the hill 4wd). The wife got stuck in the 4x4 SUV (7,200lbs) down at our bottoms on the farm (pulled her in reverse 400' up the hill with a log chain from the bottom tow hook). I sold the truck after 200,000 plus miles and no tranny problems.

I allowed a friend on my farm cutting firewood and he tried to ease a tree from where it was slightly lodged in another tree from the rear. His rear end lifted off the ground and snapped her in the front (limped home in 2wd and repaired it). I took him back to the tree hooked up to the Magnum 5.9 and gently eased it out in reverse 4wd. I've had no no tranny problems with reverse, 4wd, or 2wd for that matter.

This was taught to me by my father, my uncles (who are all farmers). As for snapping a log chain or tow sling hadn't happened yet (but could). But if I can see it in writing from a factory manual I shall amend my ways. If someone has an example of tranny damage using reverse to extract I'm a good listener. Thanks All

R...

#33 ·
Guys, do what ya want.....just cuz the old guys did it, don't mean it is the right way to do it.

You can look at the gear ratio as as easy as I can. The lower the better for pulling.

And yes, I have seen guys bust their ring gear pulling in reverse, and I've seen more than one trans bite the dust while pulling in reverse too.

But do what you want...I am just telling you the facts....you have to choose to follow them or not.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.