DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Intermittent Brake drag

11K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tntluke 
#1 ·
Just got my 2009 Hemi SLT 23000 K on it. I have a problem with the right front brake caliper maintaining pressure for no apparent reason. Drive it for 30 minutes, no problem, then all of a sudden the right front brake stays engaged. Wheel heats up, brake pad smell, pulling right and a shimmy in the steering wheel. So pulled over, let wheel cool, 45 minutes later, check for seized caliper. Nothing. All normal. Get in truck, drove home, no problem. Drove it for a couple of days, no problem.

yesterday I drove it for 40 minutes before the problem showed up again. let the truck sit for 45 minutes cool down and back to normal. I drove it to the dealer and the first thing the service manager says: seized caliper, not covered by warranty. Gonna cost me money. Hmmm 45000 dollar truck, 20K on it, extended warranty and a caliper that decides to seize intermittently.

Does that make sense to anybody? Anybody else have had this problem. I would appreciate suggestions, comments. Thanks

#4 ·
Take another look Randy. He's saying the Service Manager is claiming that a stuck caliper IS NOT covered under warranty! Why would that be? I'd say take it to another dealer (if possible) for a second opinion.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I do not subscribe to that particular theory. I do however believe that dealers today will do anything to get out of doing warranty work. Business is tough, I know.

It is in the shop now, so I can't take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Not that I want to drive the thing anyway. I never know when it will happen again. What about the stories of rubber brake lines with ruptured liners, or contaminated brake fluid? I am just reaching.

#6 ·
Sorry, in my haste, I missed that part. A stuck caliper is most likely and should be covered under the 3/36k warranty. If the pads require replacement, they probably won't be covered though. Call Chrysler customer service and explain the problem and let them handle it. I believe that manager is in the wrong.

#7 ·
Got a call from the service desk today. The mechanic diagnosed a stuck caliper, but couldn't find any reason why the caliper would unstick itself. I asked them if that was normal wear and tear after 20K and was told that the caliper malfunctioned but rotors and pads aren't covered. They now want to replace both fronts of course at the tune of 540 Can dollars + he says I need the rear calipers greased and adjusted for another 140 bucks. Plus tax. If the caliper malfucntioned, would the wear not be abnormal? Especially if it is only on one side. I gues I'll have to bite the bullet and have it done. Welcome to Dodge.

#8 ·
I'm calling BS on the rear brake work. Calipers are self adjusting and unless you've been through some pretty sloppy/wet conditions, there's no need to relube the caliper guides. DECLINE THIS WORK. Unless the rotors are blued from overheating or hard spotted, I'd have them machined and new pads installed. Unfortunately Chryslers warranty doesn't cover collateral damage so the pads will likely come from your pocket unless you call Chrysler and get them to cover the cost.

#9 ·
After you get stuck with this(now that those bozo's already have your truck and you will need to pay to get it back), write to Chrysler and explain the situation. Outline when you purchased the vehicle, what was happening, and the warranty coverage (don't forget to include your VIN number on the letter).

We purchased a used 2001 Dodge Stratus in 2004 with 48k on the clock. It needed an EGR valve, which I argued should have been covered under emissions warranty. I wrote to Chrysler outlining why I believe it should have been covered, and they cut me a check for the parts.

Don't be threatening, just outline the situation, the warranty coverage you purchased, and asking that they take a look and re-consider the decision by the service manager. You are writing to "appeal" the situation.

The arbitration address for customer relations should be in the owners manual.

#11 ·
An update on this. Great suggestions that I followed up. Chrysler has decided to replace the rotor, caliper and pads on the "stuck side" They will also replace the pads on the other side, but the rotor is still good. Funny that the dealer wanted me to buy two rotors, but under warranty they only replace one. Things that make you go Hmmmm.

The rears are in great shape and have never been abused. So I too thought that doing a brake service every 20 K was a bit much. I will pull the brake hoses up front when I get the truck back. Just to make sure the problem doesn't return.

I am also taking it to another Dodge dealer to have the truck checked out bumper to bumper. Nice thing is they did one recall (HVAC) and five tech bulletins while they had it in the shop. Didn't even know it needed it.

Thanks guys. Your comments really helped steer me in the right direction and it saved me a lot of bucks.

#15 ·
I've had the same happen to my 2012 Ram. There is 2 pistons in the caliper and the trailing piston is the one that keeps "seizing". Only happens on passenger side front. So, I get this covered under warranty and I'll have to replace them again after my warranty has expired within a year? I hope not, not too happy with this truck so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.